::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2004, 08:21 PM   #1
Grip72

Wtf?!?!

I just got my 98 lude and all of a sudden its starting to give off black smoke from the exhaust. I'm freakin raging right now I talked to a mechanic at work and he suggested that i do an engine rebuild this winter. He will do it for me for $35/hour which isn't a bad deal at all. He has a drag car and he will do this for me. So i figure when i'm doing this, i might as well get a header, port & polish, maybe bore it out and ignition and a bunch of other goodies. But for now i guess i have to cruise around with black smoke Now i have to wait til winter when i park it and fix it..this pisses me off so bad. I DO have a year's warrenty so i am goign to call the place tomorrow and see if i'm covered for this....fuck i hate my life
Grip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 11:15 PM   #2
VR4_Craver
Banned

calm down its probably just a simple fix. Of course, if it is you should still park and do all those things to it
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 11:24 PM   #3
black95gs-t

Quote:
Originally posted by VR4_Craver
calm down its probably just a simple fix. Of course, if it is you should still park and do all those things to it

+1

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 08:15 AM   #4
IALuder

black smoke = running rich. too much oil. did you change it? check the dip stick.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 09:01 AM   #5
biker's back

hey man don't get your panties in a knot
Old 08-07-2004, 09:25 AM   #6
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

dude he has a reason to be upset...

Black smoke is running rich or a fuel issue. Have you looked at the spark plugs yet? That would be the final decision...go look when you have a chance.
If theyre coated black Id concider new plugs, new air filter, timing checked, and maybe a new fuel filter.
Whats your primary o2 look like?

You could always just try good old fashioned SeaFoam.
(I love that stuff!)
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 02:16 PM   #7
VR4_Craver
Banned

yea he does have a reason but its just a simple fix probably I would be pissed too. did you call those guys about the warranty??
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 02:43 PM   #8
Grip72

i posted that on friday evening....the warrenty place isn't open til monday morning again so I will call then
Old 08-08-2004, 04:07 PM   #9
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

usually black smoke is associated with running too rich. it can be a faulty fuel pressure regulator or some leaking injectors.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 12:56 PM   #10
HndaTch627

it's normal, get used to it, those cars do that from the factory, whoever your mechanic is knows nothing, black smoke is fuel, they run those cars really rich
Old 08-11-2004, 03:55 PM   #11
biker's back

Quote:
Originally posted by HndaTch627
it's normal, get used to it, those cars do that from the factory, whoever your mechanic is knows nothing, black smoke is fuel, they run those cars really rich

I finally agree wit ya!
Old 08-11-2004, 08:48 PM   #12
Grip72

is that true?!!? if so, then screw the rebuild
Old 08-11-2004, 08:50 PM   #13
biker's back

man aslong as its not oil its not like you're going to do damage, however I would have it checked out.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:55 PM   #14
Grip72

yeah the mechanic i've been talking to hasn't worked with a honda before...but he figures it is dirty injectors or leaky valves or something of the sort
Old 08-11-2004, 08:58 PM   #15
biker's back

ok first things first, find yourself a mech that knows honda and in particular preludes. It'll save you alot of time and money.

Rebuilding a motor might be worth if you were going to do something later, but to stop it from running rich would be pointless.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:01 PM   #16
Grip72

ok i'll phone honda tomorrow or TRY to go there on lunch. The biggest problem is, i'm from a small town and there are NO preludes in town. Oour Honda dealer doesn't even have any for sale there. SO in other words, i'm the only prelude driver and its one of a kind here haha. There are maybe 6 1995 or older ludes and thats it
Old 08-11-2004, 09:04 PM   #17
biker's back

well honda dealers knows hondas
Old 08-12-2004, 06:23 AM   #18
AzCivic

Quote:

wtf!? a car should not be smoking, period. your advice is worthless.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 06:29 AM   #19
AzCivic

Re: Wtf?!?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord17
I just got my 98 lude and all of a sudden its starting to give off black smoke from the exhaust. I'm freakin raging right now I talked to a mechanic at work and he suggested that i do an engine rebuild this winter. He will do it for me for $35/hour which isn't a bad deal at all. He has a drag car and he will do this for me. So i figure when i'm doing this, i might as well get a header, port & polish, maybe bore it out and ignition and a bunch of other goodies. But for now i guess i have to cruise around with black smoke Now i have to wait til winter when i park it and fix it..this pisses me off so bad. I DO have a year's warrenty so i am goign to call the place tomorrow and see if i'm covered for this....fuck i hate my life

is it black or blue? take a closer look, if your not sure get a compression check done(a leak down test would be good too) that should tell you if you need a tear down.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:14 AM   #20
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by biker's back
well honda dealers knows hondas

yes, and they know that the customer bringing their car in dosnt. i got screwed by a honda dealer once... never going back.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:08 AM   #21
biker's back

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
yes, and they know that the customer bringing their car in dosnt. i got screwed by a honda dealer once... never going back.

Might be a US thing, really. I don't know anyone up here that has had a probelm with a canadian honda dealer.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:16 AM   #22
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by biker's back
Might be a US thing, really. I don't know anyone up here that has had a probelm with a canadian honda dealer.

well, its not that the blatently ripped me off, its just the fixed my car as a worst case senerio thing when in reality much less work needed to be done to do the same job. i dont see how this is a us/canada thing though, (i know you like compairing everything like that, but theres a night and day difference between central and south florida people and how things are done for example so to lump canada and america on business ethics is kinda generalizing.. just givin ya shit ) its still a business in which the people who are hired are paid per hour, and if they know you dont know what is wrong with your car, you have already given them the oppuortunity to take advantage of you.

Old 08-12-2004, 10:19 AM   #23
biker's back

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
well, its not that the blatently ripped me off, its just the fixed my car as a worst case senerio thing when in reality much less work needed to be done to do the same job. i dont see how this is a us/canada thing though, its still a business in which the people who are hired are paid per hour, and if they know you dont know what is wrong with your car, you have already given them the oppuortunity to take advantage of you.

I think its the cultural differences between the two countries that make the difference.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:24 PM   #24
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

I don't think it matters.
I would be more concerned if your car was burning blue smoke, then black smoke.
I don't think I would be as mad as you are just yet.
So what's the word. Did you call the warrenty place?

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:11 PM   #25
Grip72

i called the warrenty place..they said its not covered
i called honda, and they said its quite common and with my amount of kms they said it's nothign to worry about. He suggested buying some fuel injector cleaner if im' that worried about it
Old 08-12-2004, 08:31 PM   #26
AzCivic

you have a freakin 98 that shit should not be smoking. how the hell does the warranty place now if its covered, they dont even know whats the problem. do you have a copy of this "warranty".
Old 08-12-2004, 08:33 PM   #27
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i have seen quite a few of ludes smoking, but i don't think it's normal to smoke.

Old 08-12-2004, 08:35 PM   #28
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
you have a freakin 98 that shit should not be smoking. how the hell does the warranty place now if its covered, they dont even know whats the problem. do you have a copy of this "warranty".

maybe they consider it regluar maintenance, and most warranty companies won't cover that, or they know the car is modified from stock and they won't cover that either. you really gotta read the fine print with them fuckers.

Old 08-12-2004, 08:36 PM   #29
Grip72

taken from absoluteprelude.com

"yup i have a service news paper that honda gave me because i was giving them crap because my car was brand new and i had smoke at WOT, it reads... "On 97-01 preludes, at wide-open throttle, you may see what looks like black smoke coming from the exhaust pipe. That smoke is just soot in the exhaust system. Its normal characteristic and not a reason for concern. This soot also collects on the rear bumper because of the aerodynamic turbulence behind the vehicle."
Old 08-12-2004, 08:37 PM   #30
Grip72

they said because its normal wear and tear and that they only cover mechanical breakdown
Old 08-12-2004, 09:33 PM   #31
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i get smoke at WOT in the high rmps... im pretty sure its just a thing with h22's

Old 08-12-2004, 09:56 PM   #32
AzCivic

getting a little smoke at wot in the upper rpms is one thing, but "cruising" around w/ it coming out all the time is another. so which is it?
Old 08-12-2004, 11:25 PM   #33
Grip72

smoke at WOT....and sometimes start up

it's REALLy hard to tell with tinted windows..i'll have to get a friend to drive behind me for a bit and tell me
Old 08-13-2004, 04:22 AM   #34
HndaTch627

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
wtf!? a car should not be smoking, period. your advice is worthless.
i would believe that if i didn't get that complaint at leat 2-3 times a month and that i haven't been working for honda for the past 4 years let alone been trained in their facilities....the preludes run rich, the black smoke is actually SOOT from the exhaust being knocked loose by the exhaust pulses.

thank you come again

next time know what youa re talking about before being such a blatent dick
Old 08-13-2004, 04:23 AM   #35
HndaTch627

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord17
smoke at WOT....and sometimes start up

it's REALLy hard to tell with tinted windows..i'll have to get a friend to drive behind me for a bit and tell me
if it's WOT i am almost 100% positive it's just soot from the exhaust there's nothing to worry about, if you have a car that bogging/dieing and pumping black smoke all the time then you have a bad fuel pressure regulator or blocked fuel return line.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:12 AM   #36
AzCivic

Quote:
i would believe that if i didn't get that complaint at leat 2-3 times a month and that i haven't been working for honda for the past 4 years let alone been trained in their facilities....the preludes run rich, the black smoke is actually SOOT from the exhaust being knocked loose by the exhaust pulses.

thank you come again

next time know what youa re talking about before being such a blatent dick

ok you dont have a clue as to what his car is doing all you knew was that his car is blowing smoke, not how much, how often or under what conditions. yet your gonna sit there and tell him not to worry about it. good job quoting his previous post about soot. typical tech guy, just dismiss crap as no real problem. then screw something else up if you try to fix it.

Last edited by AzCivic : 08-13-2004 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:15 AM   #37
AzCivic

Quote:
if it's WOT i am almost 100% positive it's just soot from the exhaust there's nothing to worry about, if you have a car that bogging/dieing and pumping black smoke all the time then you have a bad fuel pressure regulator or blocked fuel return line.

oh so now all of a sudden it COULD be something out of the ordinary.
oh i guess a faulty fuel injector couldnt be the problem?

did you graduate from the midas -how to turn a wrench- class?

Last edited by AzCivic : 08-13-2004 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:26 AM   #38
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Actually, I'm gonna have to chime in and agree with Az. Under no circumstances should your car be running that rich. And if Honda tells you it's normal then fuck them. I run a fairly rich 12:1 A/F ratio and never get any smoke out of my engine (no cats, just straight pipe). That was with a turbo at 12-18lbs of boost depending on the tune. For a mostly stock engine to be turning out smoke under WOT, it's just absurd. It could be injectors, regulator, O2 sensors, or some other Honda problem I'm not aware of, but don't let anyone tell you it's normal.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:50 AM   #39
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

well... ive been around the prelude boards for amlost 4 years now, and i think almost every single person who owns a h22 has this "problem". one of my friends rebuilt his entire motor trying to fix this and nothing stoped it. i would get it checked out since it could be worse than we think, however h22s do run very rich from the factory, and this is a very very common thing for prelude owners to see. it makes no sence why every prelude does it, however once you realize that its a very common thing that really dosnt mean much of anything, you learn to live with it. i say take it in, and if nothings wrong, nothings wrong. if there is, then you caught it before it got worse.

Old 08-13-2004, 02:15 PM   #40
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

AzCivic, please what your language.

As for cars smoking. My civic blows black smoke at WOT also, and has since I got it (had 20K miles).The soot thing makes sense.