::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2004, 04:57 PM   #1
dabouncerx24

Do these mods actually add hp?

Do these aftermarket mods really add more hp to the car??

Short ram intake
Intake manifold
Header
Universal muffler (ones that are welded)
Custom fuel delivery parts
dabouncerx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 05:02 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

some yes, but the fuel system, stock, is more than good enough...until you go forced induction or n2o

After I put on IHE, I didnt really notice any change except noise.
Turbo and n2o is where the power is.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 05:11 PM   #3
dabouncerx24

So what about the intake manifold?
Old 11-28-2004, 06:50 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg

depends on the type.
Ive seen dynos where either the skunk2 or edelbrock IM (I dont remember which one it was...) bumps the sohc vtec motors to like 115whp. This was w/ ihe.
Personally, I cant justify changing it for simple bolt-ons
Old 11-28-2004, 07:29 PM   #5
JDMFantasy2k

i figure you'd realize bigger gains if it was on a turbo motor since the air is getting forced in.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:57 PM   #6
pdiggitydogg

edelbrock's victor x is the better for FI
skunk2's for NA
Old 11-28-2004, 09:55 PM   #7
thermal
Banning Machine

fuk all that I/H/E shit..... Save your money and turbo. Hondas are not the fastest nor the most powerful cars on the road. Sorry if that sounded a little agressive. But I've been there. I/H/E was a waste of money if you really want more power on a Honda. Simple bolt-ons are just not gonna satisfy you.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 10:47 PM   #8
IALuder

I/H/E is waste. esp. if your going to turbo. why? the intake is not longer usable in the turbo setup, nor is the header. they get replaced with different parts. so they became a waste of money.

the exhuast is also 50-50. if its not wide enough, like 3inch, its not going to be good for the turbo setup. thats why most companys make trubo cat backs. made for turbo set ups only.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:22 AM   #9
ShEaNy

turbo is the way to go...although I DID notice a slight difference with my I/H/E...but i know its not even close to what a turbo set up can do.....
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:32 PM   #10
dabouncerx24

Is there a really big difference between DC Sports ceramic coated headers and stainless steel headers? The price difference is a whooping 200$.

pdigg, you mentioned that the skunk2 intake manifold boosts Honda Civic's total whp to 115. So what is the stock whp of a typical Civic?

Which of these two systems do you guys think I should get?
Apexi N1 or Invidia

Last edited by dabouncerx24 : 12-03-2004 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:09 PM   #11
pdiggitydogg

stainless doesnt rust...thats about the end of it
some will say that the ceramic gives better gains...whatever it rusts/cracks

stock whp depends on the model...if you want all that info, youre going to have to look for it. Each engine is different, ya know. Lets just say, for shits and giggles, that the z6 has 110whp...which is a little high. Basically, you want to take the hp #'s that honda give you and then hack off 15% for drivetrain loss.

I think both those choices for exhuast are too loud. But, Im becoming "too old" fast. Ive purchased a dynomax super turbo muffler to replace my current cannister.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:24 PM   #12
dabouncerx24

Well being 17 I've just begun enjoying tuning up these little Hondas and getting the hell kicked by experienced racers :P. Well my ride is a 94 Teg LS, used to be a 93 Civic EX.
As for those systems, other than the fact that they'e too loud (which I don't mind)...are those two companies reliable and popular? How about the performance gains? Are they respectable.

pdiggs how old are ya anyway? Good looking Civic
Old 12-03-2004, 11:32 PM   #13
soundspeed

I have an Apexi exhaust on my car, it's not that loud except for when you floor it, and you can notice a gain in power, nothing huge, put it pulls a little better.

The Only Replacement For Displacement...Is Technology
soundspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 02:49 PM   #14
pdiggitydogg

Thanks, Im 21.
I used to not care about how loud the car was either...Im over that. Whenever something needs to be driven everyday, comfort really plays a role after awhile.

Basically, any straight through muffler will perform similarly - the same amount of gains (though its not that much...you just sound like youre a lot faster). If youre only ever going to be n/a, I suggest the super turbo, again, because its quality, cheap, quieter. Just keep in mind, that any good shop can custom make your exhuast for you, for less than what a kit will cost you.
Check out www.kteller.com for their pipe kits (bolt-on and weld).

If I were you, Id just skip intake and header. Pick up Maximum Boost by Corky Bell, do some research/reading and then just go w/ turbo. The LS is very boost friendly.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:02 PM   #15
dabouncerx24

Hey thx for your help so far pdiggs. Well I'll skip the headers/intake this time, had them on my Civic...I THOUGHT I felt a little difference..might be the sound though.

So this Maximum Boost is a book? They actually sell these in big chain book stores ?

So this kteller your showing me, their products are cheaper but has the same quality and performance gains as name brands such as Apex'i and HKS?

Superturbo? If its a N/A mod than whys it called turbo? But what IS IT?
Old 12-04-2004, 10:40 PM   #16
pdiggitydogg

Yeah, I picked up my copy of the book at Boarders...or was it Waldon books(?) Either way...yes, chain stores will have it. If you cant find it, order it online @ Amazon. Its a very good book.

Honestly, for a lot of things, brands just hike the price (Headers it does matter, but we're not talking about that).
The price on the Apexi N1 cannister is just silly to me. Its just a fat cylinder...wheres the tech in that? If a muffler has some sort of dampening in it, it will not sound like shit; thats all that matters.

Think about it...whats an exhaust system?
Larger diameter piping than stock (mandrel bent), resonator, and a better flowing muffler.
It doesnt take $600 to make that...
If you pick up a long resonator and a decent muffler (not some fart can) any shop that does mandrel pipe bending and welding can whip you up a system for about 1/2 that; maybe less.

KTeller is just a place that sells stuff. They do bend the pipes, yes. But pipes are pipes, in this case. Everything else they sell is made by someone else...like any store.

Super Turbo is just a name. It doesnt HAVE to be an NA mod, but since its not straight through it doesnt flow as well, which adds backpressure for turbos. Its a quieter muffler because it has baffels inside and depending on the in/out may snake inside as well. Its an OLD design...that works. If you dont want that, I also suggest Magnaflow ovals. (you just want something that has some crap to make it quieter)
Old 12-04-2004, 11:05 PM   #17
dabouncerx24

Hmm...what about the diameter of the pipes? What size will best suit my Teg in terms of performance?
I've checked out kteller. A set of bolt-up piping, an 18in resonator and an N1 muffler will cost me 530...excluding shipping. Or just 430 w/o shipping if I decide to go with the cheaper mufflers. My local store is offering me a new Apex'i N1 system for 450..so I really don't know.

pdiggs when you said "If you pick up a long resonator and a decent muffler (not some fart can) any shop that does mandrel pipe bending and welding can whip you up a system for about 1/2 that; maybe less.", when you said 1/2 price (i'm guessing 300), did you mean the 300 actually with the decent muffler, resonator and the pipes? Or just the pipes with installation..cuz 300 for a whole quality system sounds too good to be true.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:20 PM   #18
pdiggitydogg

Go for 2.5"Dia
2.25 would be enough, but if youre concidering turbo, bigger is better.

Man...forget the n1 can. Thats where the price is coming from.
Stainless piping $215
22" resonator $65
Magnaflow 2.5" center/center muffler $80
-------------
Total: $360

Now, find someone that can weld the stuff onto the piping and add hangers and youve got a setup for a good price, that you built and will be quieter than the N1 and work just as well.

If you dont need stainless steel parts, it will be less $
Oh, the dynomax super turbo is $30
Old 12-05-2004, 01:02 AM   #19
dabouncerx24

pdiggs your suggestions are really good, but one thing I really can't stand is the oval design, it's hideous. I'm sure those Magnaflow and Superturbo mufflers are good mufflers since you think highly of them, but I really can't imagine my car having something shaped like that attached to it. Big part of the reason I like the Apex'i N1 is because of how the muffler is shaped...is there other cheaper quality brands that produce the same type of muffler canister that you know of?
Do I necessarily have to get a highflo cat to get my exhaust system to reach its full potential?
What exactly does a resonator do? And why the longer the better? kteller only offers 18in the longest

Last edited by dabouncerx24 : 12-05-2004 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:55 AM   #20
pdiggitydogg

Nope, I cant suggest another cannister. You dont HAVE to get an apexi brand though. I dont think theres anything to that style, in means of sound damening, so a cheap off-brand would be fine (as long as you use a resonator)
I like the ovals because its not as showy.

No, you dont need a high-flow cat.

A resonator is just what it sounds like. It removes the raspy, tinny, 'bees-in-a-can' sound that is associated w/ most...hondas. It will make the exhaust quieter, by lowering the frequency of the sound...a deeper tone. The longer it is, the more sound wave it can disrupt/absorb so the deeper the tone will be (therefore making it sound quieter)

18? Nah...
2.5dia 22" mild steel: http://www.kteller.com/store/product...roducts_id/228
2.25 even has a 26" long one...but thats too much probably.

If youre concerned about the mild steel rusting, just spray a few coats of bbq paint on it, to keep the air/water off it.

EDIT***
Wait, yes I can suggest a different cannister. A short Magnaflow resonator/round can.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:20 PM   #21
dabouncerx24

Yo pdiggs (or just anybody)...you know anything about the Hayame catback systems? From their descriptions, their systems uses the same kind of steel and have the same bendings as the more known companies, and they'll give a resonator and silencer for free. The race shop I go to say they can whip me up one of these for $370...that beats going through all the hassle of sending in my car to muffler shops for the same price.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:49 AM   #22
sicones

I disagree with you pdiggs, any universal muffler or resanator you find will sound like shit they always do I know over 4 people with universal shit (we call it junk yard crap) mufflers and there ALL raspy and sound discusting, if you want a exhaust system to last and want it to sound good DO NOT MAKE IT YOURSELF buy a quality kit that is made for your car and bolt it up yourself, muffler shop welds will break and rust fast I see it all the time
sicones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:52 PM   #23
pdiggitydogg

Super Turbo clip (resonated)
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...NkZmQzMXk1NDE=
Save-As

Honestly, I have heard a lot of bad custom jobs...and Ive heard a lot of really nice ones too. It all depends in the length and quality of the resonator (mostly)