.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2002, 11:53 AM   #1
bomoon

Exclamation V6 drivers! What Octane Fuel do YOU use?

Perhaps this has been asked many times before, but i couldn't find any thing in the search results.

Do you guys use Regular 89 Octane or do you use Premium 93?

I read a report on http://www.baileycar.com/gasoline_html.html that basically states:

"We ran all vehicles on both grades of fuel, at a drag strip near our offices and on a Mustang eddy-current
dynamometer. On arrival, all fuel tanks were drained and filled with 87-octane Mobil
regular fuel and driven for two days before track and dyno testing. The tanks were drained again and filled
with 91-octane Mobil premium and again driven for two days to allow time for the engine controllers to
acclimate to the fuel type and tested again. All dyno and track results were weather-corrected.

..The Accord took a
tiny step backward in power (minus 2.6 percent) and performance (minus 1.5 percent) on premium fuel, a
phenomenon for which none of the experts we consulted could offer an explanation except to speculate that
the results may fall within normal test-to-test variability. .."

Does anyone else concur or with this and did i waste 45000 miles worth of premium gas?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-16-2002, 12:43 PM   #2
spoogenet

My guess is that you've wasted it. Higher octane fuel is less susceptible to detonation problems. I'm not positive about the 6cyl, but the 4cyl specifies to use 89 octane fuel in the owner's manual. Using anything higher than that is essentially a waste of money. Funny, cuz they actually say that in the owner's manual, they say that you will get no performance benefit from higher octane fuel and will pay more for nothing.

For a stock 4cyl, at least, you are wasting money using higher octane fuel. Start boosting the compression or adding FI systems and you just may need that higher octane rating.

Again, I'm not sure on a 6cyl, but check your owner's manual. If it says to use 89, then I see no real reason to use any higher unless you'd put certain mods on.

b
Old 08-16-2002, 01:28 PM   #3
bomoon

yeah... i don't remember reading the part about the performance in my manual, but i'm going to check at home.

thanks....

anyone with a V6 have any input?

bo
Old 08-16-2002, 02:11 PM   #4
neopipil

Well, I wouldn't say you are paying more for nothing. The only reason that I prefer 93 octane gas is that it is more oxygenated and burns cleaner than 89 octane.

neopipil