Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2002, 11:59 AM   #1
spoogenet

Greddy SP vs EVO vs Apexi WS

Which one is queitest/has deepest tone?

Any reason to or not to get one over the other 2?

b
Old 08-04-2002, 07:30 PM   #2
accordboy00

I have the SP on my 6gen.
The sound is nice and deep, not at all ricey. The exhaust gives a nice deep growl when you turn the ignition on, then settles to a low hum. The exhaust is very quiet when your foot is not on the accelarator. The loudest the exhaust gets is at about 3500RPM, then it quiets down as the engine noise drowns it out. It good and I'm glad I bout it. The only draw back is that it does not offer good ground clearance. At stock height it sits about 5 inches off the ground. That in itself is not much of a problem until you lower your ride. I can't go more than .75inches without scraping my exhaust everywhere.
I would have bought the EVO, but it was on back order at the time. If you have a four-banger the sound will be higher pitched, since it was designed for more heavily modded rides (NO2, FI etc..) That's what my shop told me. EVO and SP both offer the same gains and are at about the same price.
I dont know anything about the apexi...sorry.
I have pics of my exhaust in the thread named "My new GReddy"

Hope I helped ya out.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:16 PM   #3
spoogenet

Do you know how the EVO sounds as compared to the SP? I did notice that the EVO has better ground clearance. I'm probably going to be tossing on some Eibach Pro-kits with Koni Yellows when I get the money and running 225/40/18 when I get the mulah.

b
Old 08-10-2002, 12:48 PM   #4
accordboy00

I havent actually heard the EVO, but I've been told by numerous people that it wil sound louder (but still deep) than the SP. The SP sounds awesome I don't regret not getting the EVO. Sometime in the future, however, I might buy the EVO for ground clearance.
Old 08-10-2002, 02:30 PM   #5
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i have a SP and i love it. i know its not on an accord, but its a great exaust.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 02:40 PM   #6
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

hey spoogenet, did you check for availability of Remus or Brullen exhausts in your area?
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 03:21 PM   #7
spoogenet

No, I haven't checked for them yet. A buddy of mine used to have a Brullen on his '92 Accord. I never did decide if I liked the way it sounded. Were you the one who was saying that you can get Brullens that are almost as quiet as stock but still give decent performance gain? If that were the case I'd consider getting one. I remember seeing a picture of one, though, and didn't care for the way it looked. I think it had dual tips on it....I'd rather a single tip canister style with a 2.5-3" opening or so, not a folger's can or a straw.

I dropped by a local performance shop today that is a Greddy dealer and asked about the SP vs EVO. The guy claimed that the EVO had worse ground clearance than the SP and that he hadn't heard of a single complaint of the SP scraping the ground. I don't know this guy at all, or anybody at the shop for that matter, to attest to his credibility or lack thereof.

For a Greddy dealer, though, I found it funny that they didn't have any Greddy exhausts in the shop, they had a few from other manufacturers though.

He said he had never heard of DC Sports ceramic headers cracking, though, which makes me wonder how much he knows of what's going on or how long he's been in the market. I knew a few people who got them back around '97-'99 or so and they all cracked in similar spots on the top side.

b
Old 08-10-2002, 04:39 PM   #8
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

performance gains.. humm, that shouldnt be factor.

For the sound, its quiet, just this low hum, the type you dont know where its coming from. And when I run, the whole thing sings so beautifully.

Like I said before, I got brullen pipes, with a Remus muffler. I wish I had digicam..

I personnaly hate, canister style exhausts.. I find they look strange, on our bigger cars.. IMO, it looks like fake ass wannabe crap.. Hope I didnt offend anyone, thats just how I feel about mufflers shaped like that. On a civic, its less worse.. Especially if its a high HP car.

Old 08-10-2002, 05:27 PM   #9
spoogenet

I've never seen a canister style on the Accord and I haven't found one yet anyways. I'm sure someone makes one, but not that I've seen.

Anyhow, I need to check into the Brullen stuff sometime. Now you had commented previously that the Brullen pipes with Remus exhaust was rather expensive.....just how much are you talkin about? I'd consider getting an axel-back with custom pipes if it suits my needs and my budget.

And why do you say performance gains shouldn't be an issue? I don't get it.....

b
Old 08-10-2002, 05:41 PM   #10
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

this is the one that I got.

well my friend in Cali got the same setup as me and it ended up costing him 850$ just in parts.

Since its the end of summer, you may get lucky.

Old 08-10-2002, 07:07 PM   #11
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

I spoke to my friend, and yes you most probably will be able to get it for less.. lets say around 100 less.

Also, you really dont have to use Brullen pipes.. Any high quality mandrel bent piping with a diameter of 2.25 to 2.50 will be fine and will save you another couple of $$.

Regarding the performance issue, if you use wider mandrel bent piping, it will be better than stock.
If you think by using a catback you're gonna make some mad power, that isnt exactly the case. On low compression, NA, low horsepower engines, the difference is negligible. Its the type of power that you'll feel in your head.

Old 08-11-2002, 09:46 AM   #12
TruHeel142

I've got the EVO........I'll just say I wouldn't even think of getting anything else. Its DEAD quiet when I want it to be (sneaking out at night, lol) but when you open up the throttle, damn it sounds good. Not loud and noisy, but a deep rumble....i love it. And the Apex WS is a very quiet exhaust, basically the opposite of the EVO. Just my .02.....if i had that much
Old 08-11-2002, 12:34 PM   #13
spoogenet

AM:
And you've got a 4-banger, no? I'll have to check up on Remus and Brullen to see what's available that may suit my fancy.

TH:
So are you saying the WS is pretty quiet even at full throttle? I need to check back on the WS and try to remember what I had thought about it previously.

b
Old 08-11-2002, 04:31 PM   #14
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

yup 97 Accord, 4 cyl.

You need to understand something. German and Japanese exhausts dont sound alike at all.. Its as if, both designed with different philosophies in mind..

If you wanna save some $$, then I hope you prefer the japanese sound.. Unfortunately, the german one suited me better..

Old 08-12-2002, 12:42 PM   #15
spoogenet

Well, my preference is quiet and deep sounding. I like bimmer exhausts on the bimmers.....sound nice but aren't loud by any means.

I also want reasonable performance gain over stock, but I think that's just about been covered.....maybe I'll boost my compression sometime?

I need to find some peeps with 6th gen I4s running the varying exhausts to hear before I buy.

b
Old 08-12-2002, 01:04 PM   #16
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet

I need to find some peeps with 6th gen I4s running the varying exhausts to hear before I buy.

b

there's a bright idea!

Old 08-15-2002, 02:11 AM   #17
accordboy00

Id let you hear mine, but I can't post audios yet. Need a digital recorder first.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:22 AM   #18
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by accordboy00
Id let you hear mine, but I can't post audios yet. Need a digital recorder first.

actually since 99% of audio cards have a line-in (mic), you could record it on any type of media, and use the output to feed to your computer, and record that input on your computer..