Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2002, 03:04 PM   #1
CyberCivic97

Headlights Question!

Hey all, Happy New Year and all that...

Anywho, I have a question regarding stock headlights. I have the 9003 headlight bulb in my stock light assembly. Will an H-4 light serve as a replacement or is there a conflict since the 9003 light also acts as a highbeam when the switch is flicked? They both look identical but I am not sure if there is a difference.

I can't seem to find aftermarket 9003 lights other than white and I want to go with something that looks "HID-ish". Any recommendations and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks! What ideas do you all have? YOU ROCK!!!!!

Thanks HondaStylers!

Cyber
Old 01-19-2002, 04:09 PM   #2
BrandonClaps

yea it wont' work, for that type of system u need 2 bulbs, one high one low. I know Catz Zeta offers some "filtered" bulbs like blue/purple and piaa offers some nice superwhite ones. Check those guys out.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:13 AM   #3
CyberCivic97

Thanks!

Thanks for the help. So... basically I COULD use an H-4 light because it is identical to a 9003 BUT, I just wouldn't have a high beam. Correct?

I am really suprised that I don't see any aftermarket lights in the 9003 style. It seems to start with the 9004 and go up from there.
Oh well, I guess I could always get some bulb covers. I think Autodynamic sells them...

Thanks again!
Cyber
Old 01-20-2002, 03:15 PM   #4
slowEJ6

H4 is has both high/low built into a single bulb.
if 9003 is just a low beam or a high beam - theres no way to hook two connectors up to a single bulb to get it to work as both.
you have a 97 civic, i take it you bought projectors?
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 10:20 PM   #5
CyberCivic97

LIGHTS LIGHTS !

Actually, my 9003 light is both a low beam and a high beam all in one light. When I looked at the H4 lights, they are so identical that it almost makes me think I could get away with using one in my stock headlight. I do have a pair of projector style headlights which use two separate lights... they use an H3 as the low beam and an H1 as the high beam. I just was wondering if anyone knew if the H4 light would work as a replacement seeing that it is identical to the 9003. The only aftermarket 9003 light that I can find is by Sylvania (from Autozone) and it has a slight blue tint to the bulb but it is not really what I am looking for. I want something that really lights up the road but don't want to put $600 into an HID kit (even though I would get them if I had the money!) Thanks! Cyber
Old 01-20-2002, 10:27 PM   #6
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Man, are you sure your not talking about 9004s? Im pretty sure my 97 Civic uses 9004s it has both the high beams and the lowbeams..
Old 01-20-2002, 10:30 PM   #7
CyberCivic97

I have a Civic Hatch so I am not sure if there is a difference or not but the light that I pulled out of the stock headlight assembly says 9003 right on the metal housing. Weird huh? Cyber
Old 01-20-2002, 10:42 PM   #8
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberCivic97
I have a Civic Hatch so I am not sure if there is a difference or not but the light that I pulled out of the stock headlight assembly says 9003 right on the metal housing. Weird huh? Cyber

Looking at it does it have 2 Filaments in it? One for high beam and one for low? Man.. I could swear mine were 9004s, but my minds going to the crapper too..
Old 01-20-2002, 10:46 PM   #9
CyberCivic97

There are two... is there someway I could send a pic to you? Cyber
Old 01-20-2002, 10:52 PM   #10
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
There are two... is there someway I could send a pic to you? Cyber

you have a PM..
Old 01-20-2002, 10:55 PM   #11
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I got to thinking... I think I still have the boxes for my new headlights in the garage.. Ill check them tomorrow for you and see what numbers on them.. Id do it tonight.. But its cold and Im lazy..
Old 01-20-2002, 10:56 PM   #12
CyberCivic97

what is "PM" ? LOL...
Old 01-20-2002, 10:59 PM   #13
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Private Message... the little button that says pm down there

l
V
Old 01-20-2002, 11:10 PM   #14
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Nevermind man.. I think Im loosing my mind!!! Your right it is the 9003..
Old 01-20-2002, 11:12 PM   #15
CyberCivic97

Well, now if I could only find out if the H4 light will work then I am set... sorry for all this confusion! Thanks for your help! Cyber
Old 01-20-2002, 11:13 PM   #16
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Well, now if I could only find out if the H4 light will work then I am set... sorry for all this confusion! Thanks for your help! Cyber

Im pretty sure they will.. Give me one Second..
Old 01-20-2002, 11:16 PM   #17
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

ok.. here you go..

"The 9003 is also known as H4 and HB2"

http://www.usenergycontrols.com/halogenapps_a-k.html
Old 01-20-2002, 11:19 PM   #18
CyberCivic97

DUDE, THANKS!!! WOW!! THIS IS GREAT... now I can get an aftermarket H4 from Autodynamic. Do you have a manual or something? Thanks! Cyber
Old 01-20-2002, 11:20 PM   #19
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
DUDE, THANKS!!! WOW!! THIS IS GREAT... now I can get an aftermarket H4 from Autodynamic. Do you have a manual or something? Thanks! Cyber

Well I have a helms.. But it didnt tell me what type of bulb, but I think it says in your honda owners manual. Luckily I found that site...
Old 01-20-2002, 11:25 PM   #20
CyberCivic97

Well, in any case, I really appreciate the help! It was just strange looking at both the 9003 and H4 lights and thinking "hey, they are both identical... will they both work?" Sometimes things look the same but work differently. I am glad someone could help! Maybe someday I can help you... but I bet you have things covered! Thanks! Cyber!
Old 01-20-2002, 11:28 PM   #21
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Well, in any case, I really appreciate the help! It was just strange looking at both the 9003 and H4 lights and thinking "hey, they are both identical... will they both work?" Sometimes things look the same but work differently. I am glad someone could help! Maybe someday I can help you... but I bet you have things covered! Thanks! Cyber!

Well Im sure youll be able to help me some day.. I had the same problem when I went to buy bulbs for my car.. But Im the type of person thatll try it anyway whether itll work or not.. Im just glad I could help.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:31 PM   #22
CyberCivic97

I am always tinkering with stuff but need to know if it works beforehand... I used to experiment but I am married now and the money just isn't there anymore (LOL). I owe ya one! =o) Jeff
Old 01-20-2002, 11:34 PM   #23
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
I am always tinkering with stuff but need to know if it works beforehand... I used to experiment but I am married now and the money just isn't there anymore (LOL). I owe ya one! =o) Jeff

dont worry about it.. Call it my good deed for the day.. I know how the money thing goes, I gotta watch what I bye to since Ill be getting married this year some time.. Kinda blew the Turbo idea out of the water, but You gotta have priorities I suppose.. Maybe later.. or maybe Ill just get my WRX Ive been wanting...
Old 01-20-2002, 11:37 PM   #24
CyberCivic97

What, no RSX ? LOL!
Old 01-20-2002, 11:39 PM   #25
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
What, no RSX ? LOL!

Their ok.. Im just dying for a turbo car.. If honda made one at a reasonable price Id probably think about it.. maybe.. the new hondas are some what of a let down.. Id rather buy a 92 Civic before Id buy a 2001.. :o
Old 01-20-2002, 11:44 PM   #26
CyberCivic97

I want an S2000... just an all around fun car I guess. Maybe someday when I can snag a pre-owned one... can't hurt to dream! Well, I better hit the sheets... thanks again for the help. I am sure I will be posting other crazy questions on here so you are sure to hear from me! Later! Jeff