::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2002, 01:30 PM   #1
XdiscontensionX

switching to synthetic

are there any special steps/precautions i need to take when switching to synthetic oil?
Old 09-04-2002, 01:37 PM   #2
TonitrusEN
4th Gear

not that i know of... i use it, its great

My Baby

Unbelievable...

Quote:
Anonymous: Yea but a car has 4 heads, so it's headers!

Me: Or.. you could say that a car has one head...
TonitrusEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 01:50 PM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yeah just make sure that you add enough oil

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 04:11 PM   #4
AzCivic

you might wanna try pouring a quart through with the drain plug removed and let that totally drain then replace the plug and add the oil.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 06:47 PM   #5
XdiscontensionX

oh no, hondaman! i was only planning on using 1/2 a quart. you think this will last 3000 miles? i mean it's synthetic so a little goes a long way, right? lol.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:13 PM   #6
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I'd be cautious if you have a high mileage engine (>100k), but since you have a 99, you'll probably be fine.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 08:28 PM   #7
spoogenet

At least drain the old oil before adding new. Oh, and replace the oil filter. I can't stress enough to remember to put the drain plug back in securely.

Other than that, I wouldn't recommend taking the "synthetic lasts longer so I'll just wait longer to get my oil changed" approach....not saying that you would, just saying you shouldn't. I still follow the same schedule as a natural oil would use, I just run Mobil 1 instead. Good stuff, costs a load.

b
Old 09-04-2002, 08:29 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

what's the deal with the high mileage engine ? will it burn oil ? it will do that first 2 oilchanges. after that won't burn at all. i tried it on a 180k+ engine

Old 09-04-2002, 10:00 PM   #9
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
you might wanna try pouring a quart through with the drain plug removed and let that totally drain then replace the plug and add the oil.

that is an excellent practice..

About the filter, you really should replace it every time you change the oil!
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 10:36 PM   #10
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
what's the deal with the high mileage engine ? will it burn oil ? it will do that first 2 oilchanges. after that won't burn at all. i tried it on a 180k+ engine

Synthetic is more viscous, meaning it will flow into cracks, etc. easier. If you have any minute leaks, you'll know it when you switch. I run reg oil on mine (~100k), but I do know of people who run syn. on higher mileage engines. Just have to be careful.

Old 09-04-2002, 10:42 PM   #11
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i had syntetic in my accord for a while but the price was too big for my pocket. i use mobil 1 syntetic blend right now and i'm happy with it. it does not burn one ounce of it, but i get a lot of it on my plugs because of 2 broken gaskets. they are due tommorow for a change

Old 09-04-2002, 10:55 PM   #12
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I might give a synthetic blend a chance then next time I change my oil.

Old 09-05-2002, 07:18 AM   #13
XdiscontensionX

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet
...I wouldn't recommend taking the "synthetic lasts longer so I'll just wait longer to get my oil changed" approach...

yeah, i actually change my oil more frequently than the recommended schedule - usually around 2800-3000 miles (which is about once every other month). maybe with synthetic i'll follow the schedule a little more closely since it costs more.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:10 AM   #14
XdiscontensionX

my friend stopped at his local performance shop yesterday and asked about synthetic for his civvy. they said it's a bad idea to run synthetic in the winter b/c it doesn't lube your gaskets as well and they crack from the temp changes. is this a valid point or is it b.s.?
Old 09-08-2002, 11:16 AM   #15
spoogenet

Wow, you change frequently. I do about every 2-3k or so, but I follow the 3 month schedule....obviously I don't get lots of miles on my baby.

Not sure about the temperature deal. Usually you may want to change weights for different months of the year, but I've never heard of gasket lube problems. Just cuz I've never heard, though, doesn't mean it's not true.

b
Old 09-09-2002, 08:29 PM   #16
delsolvtec
Del Sol Forum Moderator

I run Valvoline high mileage formulated oil. It's a synthetic blend and works great. It's formulated to seal rings, old gaskets etc...
Old 09-10-2002, 12:07 PM   #17
williecume

hey check out syntheitc warehouse. i'm going to be getting my oil from them and wont have to worry about changing the oil for 25k mile and the filter at 12,5k miles. go check it out and see if they have appilications for your vehicles. prices look kinda high but i have heard nothing but good things about these guys.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:40 PM   #18
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by williecume
hey check out syntheitc warehouse. i'm going to be getting my oil from them and wont have to worry about changing the oil for 25k mile and the filter at 12,5k miles. go check it out and see if they have appilications for your vehicles. prices look kinda high but i have heard nothing but good things about these guys.

no matter how good the oil is i wouldn't keep it in the engine more than 5k miles. plus you get a lot of metal shavings from the engine, gaskets are breaking and you don't want all that crap running thru.

Old 09-10-2002, 12:50 PM   #19
XdiscontensionX

haha, 25k.
...and i though the 7500 miles that honda recommends was a bit absurd.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:34 PM   #20
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by williecume

PLEASE don't leave oil in your car for 25k miles. I don't care how good it is, there are many reasons that this is a bad idea.

Old 09-16-2002, 02:33 PM   #21
williecume

if you get the oil analysed before you change it you will be able to know how much longer your oil can last. they wont advertise 25k miles if it hasnt been proven.

i have seen mobil's synthetic oil been good for 15k miles. it was analysed every 3000 miles and the filter was changed only oil added was to replace the oil lost while changing the filter. this was tested by members on another forum using a daily driven 98 ford explorer with a 4.0 ohv or sohc (i cant remember which motor) and the oil was still good when he decided to change it.

i was just letting you guys know of another place to buy the synthetic oil from not telling you when to change it.