::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2002, 09:20 AM   #1
XdiscontensionX

low end?

newbie here - just bought '99 accord and put a CAI on it, should be getting my cat-back within the next month or so.

is there anything i can do to give my car a boost at low rpm's, or is this something i just have to deal with? as is, my car has very little power when i'm coming out of a dead stop. i've heard that pulleys or flywheel would fix it?

also, i've noticed a whistle (imagine a footbal referee) when i gun it at lower rpm's - a friend said it was b/c of the intake. is this normal or is there anything i should try to fix it?
Old 07-31-2002, 09:37 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yeah the whistle is perfectly normal with an intake, because you do not have the resonator anymore. for the low end i don't know what to tell you other than to advance the ignition a bit. Maybe some headers will help you a bit. Anyway you have the slowest engine in thoise types of car: f22a4 which is a non-vtec engine. the vtec version have 150hp while you have only 135.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 10:02 AM   #3
XdiscontensionX

i know about the HP issue ... it was a tough decision - i really wanted the vtec or the v6 but the price and mileage on the DX was too good to pass up. i also figured that i could learn on the "crappy" engine and then swap out for a better one somewhere down the road. thx for the help!
Old 07-31-2002, 10:19 AM   #4
spoogenet

Haha, now that's the spirit! Run this engine to the ground and swap for more power.

Funny all the whistles that people complain about. I get a nice hum from mine, sounds kinda like hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm at a slightly higher pitch than the average Joe would say it, but no whistle. Or maybe it's an oooooooooooooooo. I dunno, but maybe I just got lucky with the whistle?

I dunno how much work you want to do on your car. I'd get pulleys before a flywheel, but that's just me. If you get the AEM Tru-power pulleys they'll run you around $150 online. That's probably my next mod after I do the cat-back. They should improve throttle response a little but I'm not sure just how much of a difference you'll notice.

Getting a good header will also improve your throttle response at the lower revs, but again, not sure how much you'll really notice at the low-end. Usually I've heard people say that headers will help to kill your low-end torque, but some claim they can help as well. I think it depends on which one you get.

The DX isn't too bad, though. My bro had a '95 LX which is pretty much the same engine if I'm not mistaken. He put CAI, DC Sports ceramic header, Koenig axel-back, AEM Tru-power pulleys, lowered it and slapped some 18's on there. Off the line it was much slower than my best friend's '95 EX with DC Sports shortram intake and same ceramic headers, but at highway speeds my bro's was faster.....probably mostly due to being lowered. Hey, they were both much faster than my '88 240 DL Volvo tank.....

b
Old 07-31-2002, 10:26 AM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

ok spooge here is the deal:

4th and 5th generation: DX/LX same engine, EX/SE better one
6th generation: LX/EX same engine, and the DX gets a crappy one

v6 does not count.

Old 07-31-2002, 12:46 PM   #6
ShEaNy

heh the only sound i hear is my muffler damn that thing gets louder as i go hehe
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 01:57 PM   #7
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
ok spooge here is the deal:

4th and 5th generation: DX/LX same engine, EX/SE better one
6th generation: LX/EX same engine, and the DX gets a crappy one

v6 does not count.

My point is this: the 5th gen LX had either 120 or 135 hp non-vtec, which sounds somewhat similar to the 6th gen DX that gets the "crappy" 135 hp non-vtec. I'm not sure on the displacement, weight, or any other spec of the 5th gen LX vs the 6th gen DX, but they do have comparable power. Equally the 5th gen EX had what, 145 hp vtec? Sounds similar to the 150 hp vtec in the 6th gen.

From that I draw the conclusion that having a 6th gen DX compared to LX or EX can't be much worse than having a 5th gen LX as compared to the EX.

And they are all faster than my '88 Volvo.

b
Old 07-31-2002, 02:24 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

you are right but here comes the other unseen factor in the equation. it ls called weight. the 5th gen are roughfly 3000lbs while the 6th gen are about 250-300lbs heavier. so i think a 5th gen LX will beat the 6th gena DX if they were to race

Old 07-31-2002, 04:14 PM   #9
spoogenet

I wouldn't exactly call weight an "unseen factor"....

But 250-300lbs? Yeah it's significant if you're racing, but the original question had no mention of racing. For regular driving it won't make a huge difference.

b
Old 07-31-2002, 06:18 PM   #10
AzCivic

Dont wast your money on piddly bolt ons, save up for a H22 swap, and in the mean time use nitrous.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 05:15 PM   #11
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
Dont wast your money on piddly bolt ons, save up for a H22 swap, and in the mean time use nitrous.
amen to that! i was gonna say it if no one else did. you can get intake and a cat back exaust, but dont buy headers untill you get the h22, pullies MIGHT work, i'd check AEM's parts # catolog

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 05:16 PM   #12
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

nope different part numbers

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 01:21 AM   #13
accorrdd

hey....my 91 accord isnt exactly the sh*t...so dont worry..at least you have a newer car right??