::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
-.NsaNiTi.-

Transmission issue

I pmed something similar to Arnel, but havent heard anything back yet so I figured I'd get more opinions.

As some of you know after I re-finished my civic I boosted it and started my own sohc project. Not too soon after I ran into some tranny problems.

Ordering a new OEM transmission is cake, as is bolting it on, but I want a more wide-spread opinion on what to do as far as re-inforcement. It is a 1.6l d16, so any different clutch recomendations besides what I had before as well as fly wheels and LSD if available on that tranny.

Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks guys
matt_
Old 01-11-2006, 07:20 AM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

Bro, I didnt get your PM.....

Anyway, lightened flywheel will not do much on D-series turbos since the RPM band is pretty narrow, plus the Y8 trannies are short on 1st and 2nd gear. I dont think it is worth it for a couple of torque numbers. As far as clutch, I will never go anything below a stage 3 equivalent on anything boosted. Y8 motors are torque hungry when boosted. I say look into a Competition Clutch systems. If you need help on making a decision, let me know and I can ask one of my dealer buddies for you. How much power/torque are you putting down now bro? As far as LSD, I dont know how much money you want to drop on this. You can never go wrong with Quaife and Kaaz, but they are expensive..... about $850 plus install. Otherwise look into OBX. Some people have had luck with it.... or look into Phantom Grip. Cheap but it will not last long and can jeopardize your gear train.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum

Last edited by thermal : 01-11-2006 at 07:25 AM.
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
-.NsaNiTi.-

Thanks, I figured the flywheel wouldnt have much effect. Definately look into what clutch you think would work best.
I havent had it on the dyno yet, its running 9lbs of boost daily out of a t3/t04e. I like the CC clutches so whatever you think would work, let me know. Install is no problem, I will take care of that myself. If you dont think LSD is necessary then it can most likely wait.

PM me with your clutch reccomendations and info.

thanks bud.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:59 AM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

I'll PM my buddy and ask. Tell me your future goal.... Also, your location. I might be able to get you a deal from a buddy.... Another thing, I am assuming that you want this to be streetable clutch right?

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum

Last edited by thermal : 01-12-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #5
-.NsaNiTi.-

goals.. hm. idk just something quick. The car already eats 5.0s which is nice. half-way streetable would be nice, but basically I just want to make it a bit more reliable.. almost an oxy-moron with boosted cars .. lol. I will continue to keep building it, of course, so something that will be able to hold even more power would be nice. Im located just a bit north of Cinci, OH.

thanks =)
Old 01-12-2006, 12:14 PM   #6
thermal
Banning Machine

Here's a Stage3 from CC:
http://www.competitionclutch.com/vie...s_make able=1

I can have my buddy get it shipped for you if you want. I think that this is suitable for your set-up + more in it....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum