::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2002, 09:43 AM   #1
spoogenet

headers & cat backs, torque and money

Will I be wasting money on a cat back without having headers? Will I lose much torque by having one or both?

Most of my driving is around town. I don't run much higher than 3500 rpm during normal driving. I'm also running the A/C quite a bit, it gets a little toasty in TX during summer months....March thru November. So having low-end torque is probably benefitial to me, I don't wanna have to run to redline just to get a little acceleration.

Running to redline just wastes too much gas. After putting on my intake I got 22.75 mpg on that tank, I used to be getting 26 in the city.....it's all cuz of my heavy foot. So I'm trying to get my gas mileage higher.

b
Old 07-30-2002, 02:26 PM   #2
AzCivic

You won't lose any torque if you get a good exhaust that has a reasonable diameter piping(2 1/4"). It won't be a waste of money to get one and not the other, it will not work as good if you had both but its still worth getting. Whatever you decide don't try and go the cheap route or you will see a loss in power.

Last edited by AzCivic : 07-30-2002 at 04:26 PM.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 03:58 PM   #3
spoogenet

I've almost finalized my decision to the Greddy SP exhaust. Seems to be what I'm looking for, both quiet and a good performer.

For headers I probably won't mess with those for a while, I was eyeing up the DC Sports Stainless Steel header.

Don't worry, I don't believe in buying cheap stuff.....which is why so far I've only got an intake, need mo money!

b
Old 07-30-2002, 04:28 PM   #4
AzCivic

Don't we all!!!

Your choices look pretty good though.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 07:09 AM   #5
XdiscontensionX

i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Thermal R&D exhausts? i went to manchester motorsports this weekend and they were really trying to push them as well as the skunk2. any opinions?
Old 08-06-2002, 01:17 AM   #6
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

I like the Thermal exhausts. High quality pieces. They're also fairly cheap, comparatively speaking. They also sound great.

I haven't seen/heard the Skunk2 (RS*R) personally, but from what I understand, it's only an axle back. Only consider that if you're having the rest of the system custom made. Otherwise, you'll get ZERO benefit from it.

Edit:

Also, you won't be wasting money with just either the header or the exhaust, but you won't see as much from either as you would from the two put together- i.e. header=5 hp, exhaust=5 hp; header+exhaust=12 hp. I'm not saying you'll get 12 horse from a header and exhaust, but you get my drift.

It's all about the bottlenecks.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote