::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2003, 09:03 PM   #1
Operatic

breaking 120?

well, in my car, it won't go past 120mph. i figure its being limited by the computer chip in the car. so in theory, if i get a new chip (any ideas?) i would be able to break that lovely 120 mark.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:45 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

hmm did u try going that fast ? i know i put mine once over the 130mph mark but with triple digit speeds it's not too accurate

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 11:01 PM   #3
Djsteals

if you tryed, what does it do when you hit 120?

I have a 5th gen civic, And have also put mine over the 130 mark.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:39 AM   #4
Grip72

i have put mine over the 130mph hour mark as well...i'm amazed at how many cars can't do that...?
Grip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 09:30 AM   #5
Operatic

i got a 97 DX. and once i get 120 and step on it it won't go anymore. nor my MPH or either RPM gauges (thats right, i have 2 RPM'S =P ) will increase after a certain point.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:36 AM   #6
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

your engine just cant push your car any faster, if you hit the limiter, you'd know it. it would bring you down to 110 or something

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 10:16 AM   #7
silver

remember that gearing matters as well. You aren't driving a race car.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 11:52 AM   #8
Operatic

i know, but this is for later reference. like after an engine swap and a turbo. cause the need for speed's gonna be there, and i wanna use it =)
Old 01-14-2003, 11:58 AM   #9
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

you need to be careful what kind of car your taking to 120+. just because you have the power dosnt mean you have the car. you need to upgrade brakes(you WILL have brake fade by 90mph coming back down and crash if need to stop from that) your suspension(if you get a gust of air under the car, your gone, and if you need to switch lanes, body roll will kill you.) and the tires/traction(lots can go wrong) i had a video of a car hitting 140 but not being able to handle it, the front lifted, and i think the guy died.

Old 01-14-2003, 01:25 PM   #10
Grip72

ok..what chriscantskate just said....freaked me outa bit
Grip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 01:31 PM   #11
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord17

Its true though. Most stock cars aren't meant to top out at 130+ (aerodynamically), and its not worth trying

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 03:46 PM   #12
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord17

i'd rather freak people out than reading about another death. ive seen too many "<username> passed away last night" threads then they are about how someone tried to either speed through interstate traffic and lost control, or couldnt hold high speeds in their cars.

Old 01-14-2003, 04:37 PM   #13
02CiviC

i with chris cant skate. my friend has a video of an integra that was flying over a hill and got airborne and of course the driver lost control, not to mention he passed away
unexperience drivers trying to make cars do things they cant handle dont mix
Old 01-14-2003, 06:46 PM   #14
sohc_vtec 2NR

85mph is fast enough for me....
Old 01-15-2003, 08:18 AM   #15
02CiviC

Quote:
Originally posted by sohc_vtec 2NR
85mph is fast enough for me....

LOL
Old 01-16-2003, 11:22 AM   #16
krz2fer
2nd Gear

woah.. this thread is kind of freaky.

but i agree about the mph... i got up to 120 in my civic and its freaky feeling like u dont have control of the car.. def not something ill be doing again in that car

---
"Aim for the sky, straight into the sun."
krz2fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 12:15 PM   #17
silver

I've been up to 138 in my spec. Every little movement you make is amplified.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

Old 01-16-2003, 03:10 PM   #18
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

yeah.. i did 135 in the lude, it felt too safe though, so i quickly got back to 90mph. i just dont really trust a $25k car above 140mph for some reason.

Old 01-16-2003, 07:53 PM   #19
nonovurbizniz

my civic feels more stable at 120 then my fathers 94 911 convertable did.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:59 PM   #20
FletchQ

136 in my civic, it wasn't bad at all, no shaking, pretty smooth ride, almost like I was floating
Old 01-17-2003, 05:10 PM   #21
silver

Quote:
Originally posted by FletchQ
136 in my civic, it wasn't bad at all, no shaking, pretty smooth ride, almost like I was floating

wanna race?

that floating feeling is not good, lack of downforce? If you hit a bump you really would have been floating.

Old 01-19-2003, 06:19 PM   #22
untainted

anyway there is a rev limiter on purpose if u take ne stock car honda or acura over 120 your valves, valve springs can break at such speeds... such a beating on the motor.. the fastest ive got my civic as 120+ i got my 92 nissan stanza to like 130 somethin an it never ran right after that
Old 01-22-2003, 08:13 PM   #23
FasterThanLight

Quote:
Originally posted by untainted
anyway there is a rev limiter on purpose if u take ne stock car honda or acura over 120 your valves, valve springs can break at such speeds...

No!
honda/acura NSX... 'nuff said. j/k... no one driving that posts here anyway...
Old 01-22-2003, 08:20 PM   #24
SofaKingSmooth

just think about how fast you are going and dont be stupid..... the only reason i did the things to my car is so i can pass the cars on the road that i need to....
Old 01-28-2003, 10:51 PM   #25
eviljayr

125 i hit on midnight freeway and then it felt like my car had never done it before, smooth, but you just know somthin not right. ive seen them videos of cars flipping over in high school 5 years ago. Integra, Is300, civic, nsx, all good then like nothing there flying like leaves.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:39 PM   #26
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by FasterThanLight
No!
honda/acura NSX... 'nuff said. j/k... no one driving that posts here anyway...

i'd say a h22/b18c5/b18c1 can handle those extended periods of revs... remeber your tranny is taking the major abuse of spinning, not the motor. 6k rpms is 6k rpms on the motor at any speed

Old 01-30-2003, 04:21 PM   #27
FasterThanLight

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
i'd say a h22/b18c5/b18c1 can handle those extended periods of revs... remeber your tranny is taking the major abuse of spinning, not the motor. 6k rpms is 6k rpms on the motor at any speed

you really think so? i want to believe that... i feel like i shouldn't drive my b18c1 the way i do. i commute like a madman- 180 miles roundtrip everyday. my car is garaged right now, but when i was doing my commute with it, i was almost paranoid to drive that car fast for extended periods. because of the low gearing, driving 80 (no admission of guilt) put the motor above 4000 rpm, and 90(again, i'm not saying i ever do that) would be over 4500. i know this engine is designed to spin up to 8000+ rpm, but that extended period at such a high piston speed makes me worry. i posted a thread about that when i first got the car, but no one ever answered what a "safe" cruising speed is. do you know? the one thing i think makes the rsx reign supreme over the integra- the available six speed tranny... i love my 'teg, but i know that when it's supercharged(one of these days) i would like the car just that much more if i could tear through fifth and drop one more gear... and that's really only for peace of mind, because it makes me worry to turn 4k+ rpm for an hour and a half.

what's the worst that could happen? the crank seizes and the rods go out the oil pan.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:27 PM   #28
mt.biker

just to clear things up, the limiter will not reduce your speed. I hit my limiter a fair bit 132mph and it just wont let me go any faster. I have 1800rpm left and even goign down a hill i cant bring my speed past 132mph. Drive safe everyone, i wouldn't ever take a civic up that fast, though my car feels great at those speeds.

Cheers
Old 01-30-2003, 07:16 PM   #29
Quevv

I would hope that all of you that are going 103+ have the right kind of tires for that? Unless your tires are made for those speeds such as the Z type tires 180+ I would never go that fast. And that "smooth floating feeling" you are feeling is the tires expanding and contracting causing a ton of heat in which will make your tires explode:o So my suggestion would not go over 103 unless you have the car for it
Old 01-31-2003, 07:32 PM   #30
FasterThanLight

think most of us probably have at least v-rated tires, good for 149 mph... z rated is over that much, but they don't specify how much over. the tires are rated at those speeds for ten minute periods- meaning they'll last at least that long for the rated speed. i think part, if not all, of the floating feeling comes from all the air going under the car... making it "lighter". look at the speed ratings below...

N=87 MPH, 140km/h, Spare Tires
P=93 MPH, 150km/h
Q=99 MPH, 160km/h, Winter, LT Tires
R=106 MPH, 170km/h, LT Tires
S=112 MPH, 180km/h
T=118 MPH, 190km/h
U=124 MPH, 200km/h
H=130 MPH, 210km/h, Sport Sedans
V=149 MPH, 240km/h, Sports Cars
Z=149 MPH, 240km/h and over, Sports Cars
W=168 MPH, 270km/h, Exotic Sport Cars
Y=186 MPH, 300km/h, Exotic Sport Cars

Z is the highest rating included in the tire size, i.e.,
P225/50ZR15

W and Y are included in the service description, i.e.,
P225/50ZR15 91W
Old 02-01-2003, 11:36 AM   #31
Shot 2 Hel

after i break 100 i get scared to death, you feel like every little bump
Old 02-02-2003, 02:53 PM   #32
MrCLoWnY

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
you need to be careful what kind of car your taking to 120+. just because you have the power dosnt mean you have the car. you need to upgrade brakes(you WILL have brake fade by 90mph coming back down and crash if need to stop from that) your suspension(if you get a gust of air under the car, your gone, and if you need to switch lanes, body roll will kill you.) and the tires/traction(lots can go wrong) i had a video of a car hitting 140 but not being able to handle it, the front lifted, and i think the guy died.

thats a scary story..... I once drove my car 140 + mph for 20 miles. It was pretty scary driving at that speed. Turning was alittle scary.... but yeah.... I guess like with anything else as long as you know what your doing and don't make any sudden movements you should be ok at any speed........... But i definitely recommend getting some suspension if you decide to go that fast. It is a must..........
Old 02-04-2003, 04:33 PM   #33
Shot 2 Hel

Quote:
Originally posted by MrCLoWnY
thats a scary story..... I once drove my car 140 + mph for 20 miles. It was pretty scary driving at that speed. Turning was alittle scary.... but yeah.... I guess like with anything else as long as you know what your doing and don't make any sudden movements you should be ok at any speed........... But i definitely recommend getting some suspension if you decide to go that fast. It is a must..........

what mods do you have to your civic to where it can go that fast
Old 02-05-2003, 09:36 AM   #34
MrCLoWnY

I just had turbo in my car and a very heavy foot.....
Old 02-19-2003, 07:47 AM   #35
Zexamericano

My car tops out at 120 too, it's a 92 civic Lx with mild modifications. I have yet to hit the nitrous at that speed. I have 225 tires and a good rear wing so I stick to the ground. My car is also lowered. It feels really safe but it's really loud due to the exaust. What do you all think would happen if I hit the switch?
Old 02-19-2003, 11:23 AM   #36
Shot 2 Hel

Quote:
Originally posted by Zexamericano
My car tops out at 120 too, it's a 92 civic Lx with mild modifications. I have yet to hit the nitrous at that speed. I have 225 tires and a good rear wing so I stick to the ground. My car is also lowered. It feels really safe but it's really loud due to the exaust. What do you all think would happen if I hit the switch?

might blow the engine cause of the RPMs but i dont have experience with Nitrous so i have no idea
Old 02-19-2003, 03:23 PM   #37
Civic98

my barely hits 120 it won't go over that ........
Old 02-20-2003, 09:55 AM   #38
cashizslick

Re: breaking 120?

Quote:
Originally posted by Operatic
well, in my car, it won't go past 120mph. i figure its being limited by the computer chip in the car. so in theory, if i get a new chip (any ideas?) i would be able to break that lovely 120 mark.

What mods do you have? I thought the USDM civics did not have a speed restriction on them. BTW, my mom's stock 2000 civic lx wont go past 100mph in 4th gear - but i have gotten my car up to 127.