::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2002, 12:58 PM   #1
darkdaedra

A few questions from a relative n00b

Ok here are my questions, I would be greatful for any help that can be given(I have a 1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr 5 speed):

1) I'm a big fan of sporty handling and thus want to lower my suspension and change my rims as a first modification. Knowing a little about cars, I think I may be able to change the coil springs myself as well as the wheels. Is it worth it for me to attempt such ambitious things as my first real experience modifying my car, or should I spend the money to get it professionally done?

2) I also like loud music and good quality sound systems. The Accord I have has that weird over-sized radio and cd player. If I take that out, does it kind of have standard stuff behind onto which I could put a new unit?

3) This actually relates to #1, what brand springs are the best in your opinion and what is the real difference between different 18" rims? (I have a feeling that this question is what most will qualify me as new to the game, but please be understanding )

Thanks for taking your time to help me out!
Old 11-20-2002, 01:09 PM   #2
a96710

On the deck question...you'd just buy an aftermarket harness so you don't have to cut any wires to get a new deck in. You just wire that harness to the aftermarket deck's harness. To fill that gap if your car is a double DIN which I think most Honda/Acuras are you just buy a dash kit.
a96710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 01:12 PM   #3
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

How much do you have to spend on the suspension and rims? That makes a HUGE difference in what you'll be able to get.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 01:20 PM   #4
darkdaedra

Well, I really want to limit my rims w/ tires at 1k maybe a little more. As for the suspension, I'm willing to put like 400 into that.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:24 PM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

a 400 suspension is not enough. i'd look into koni yellows and some eibach or neuspeed springs. it will run you around 650-700

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 01:41 PM   #6
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by darkdaedra
Well, I really want to limit my rims w/ tires at 1k maybe a little more. As for the suspension, I'm willing to put like 400 into that.

400 won't get you anything for the suspension. If you have to stay that cheap, just get a set of pro-kits from Eibach and sit on your stock struts. Not good for performance though.

Old 11-20-2002, 01:58 PM   #7
darkdaedra

Ok, like I said, not sure about what to do exactly. I'll just work for another month or so and then get some of those koni yellows and eibach springs w/ 18" rims . Thnx for the advice guys.

As to doing it myself or taking it to a professional, to those that have done it themselves, was it particularly difficult or just time consuming?
Old 11-20-2002, 02:23 PM   #8
Mushroom

Quote:

800 on rims and tires and 600 on suspension might be more realistic if you have 1.4k to spend and you go non-adjustable.

I'd have the tires mounted and balanced professionally and have someone do the alignment when you're done - other than that, it's good newbie stuff. A Haynes manual wouldn't hurt to have lying around if you don't already.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:17 PM   #9
Honda530

Well for 400 bucks you could get a set of Tokico Springs that drop about 1.50" and tokico shocks. at www.optauto they have combo so you can get both of those for 389 which is a great deal. If you want the Illuminas the combo is like 549. For Rims you might find a good deal from on of the magazines. Sometimes you can find tire and rim combos.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:51 PM   #10
Accordchick

"I'd have the tires mounted and balanced professionally and have someone do the alignment when you're done - other than that, it's good newbie stuff. A Haynes manual wouldn't hurt to have lying around if you don't already"

not a bad idea at all...but you will def. have to spend more then $400 on the suspension, especially if you want good performance out of it after you're done with that, i would def. do airwork next
Old 11-20-2002, 08:52 PM   #11
darkdaedra

Quote:
Originally posted by Accordchick
not a bad idea at all...but you will def. have to spend more then $400 on the suspension, especially if you want good performance out of it after you're done with that, i would def. do airwork next

airwork? What is that...?

And I got a Haynes manual earlier today to figure out wtf was going on with my check engine light being on. Turns out the CYP sensor is messed up. I'm gonna take it to the shop tomorrow to get that fixed. Luckily that's gonna be covered by my warranty since I have done anything which my void it. I'm gonna check real hard into that warranty to make sure what modifications it allows.

BTW, you have all been very helpful. I am in your debt
Old 11-20-2002, 10:54 PM   #12
blind34_1

I say put spend about an equal amount on your suspension as you do on your rims. I've heard of significant performance drops when you get anything over 17" inchers, and the price is ridiculous. I'd say go with some tastful 16s or 17s and get the high quality tokico stuff that I've heard so much about.

as for your deck question, everyone else pretty much nailed it. Before you take out your deck, be sure you know your security code. Take it to your honda dealer and they should tell you what it is. This way when you have a poor friend in need who has his deck stolen, you can give him your stock honda one:-).
And also you may have to buy an intermediate harness and match up the wires to your deck. Basically you would be splicing up wires from your new decks narness to a honda harness that plugs into your car harness.

Don't know if this helps at all, and your situation may be slightly different.

**edit: the picture disgram didn't show up right, so I deleted it
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 08:52 AM   #13
Accordchick

airwork is your intake, header, and exaust system...it helps free up some hp's...
Old 11-26-2002, 05:59 PM   #14
darkdaedra

One more question for me here. I'm geting a book on Honda's soon so maybe I can stop asking so many questions(although I'm quite sure you guys like answering them ). Anyways, I'm looking at Tokico shocks and some MAXSPEED springs. I would get the Tokico combo suggested by Honda530 , but they are only for 90-97 accords and mine is a 98.

My question is whether or not you have heard anything about MAXSPEED. Or should I spend an extra 100 for Eibach springs? And my other question is about coil overs, why are some like $1000 and others like $150? Do they essentially have the same stuff in them or do the more expensive ones somehow have more options or much better equipment? And does anyone here suggest lowering with coil overs instead of springs/shocks?
Old 11-26-2002, 06:37 PM   #15
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
heard anything about MAXSPEED. Or should I spend an extra 100 for Eibach springs? And my other question is about coil overs, why are some like $1000 and others like $150? Do they essentially have the same stuff in them or do the more expensive ones somehow have more options or much better equipment? And does anyone here suggest lowering with coil overs instead of springs/shocks?

Good questions... I'd spend the extra $100 and get a quality set of Eibach springs.

Coilovers: cheap ones are sleeves (no strut included), expensive ones incorporate the strut/spring and are well matched, making this the best choice for performance. Downside, your wallet might be a litte lighter after the purchase.

Old 11-26-2002, 06:39 PM   #16
darkdaedra

Oh and as for the radio replacement - Anyone interested can get the necessary docking kit here .
Old 11-26-2002, 09:43 PM   #17
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

all the autostores in cleveland carries install kits

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote