::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
bsurge

need help choosing a turbo

i need to choose a turbo! ive been building a setup for my EF . its a b18b +boost . ive been trying to choose a turbo but im having trouble finding people around where i live that have any factual info on the different turbos.people just say "oh use this one, my friends car is fast and thats what he has." Ive read all of the tech files on this site about turbos ,A/R, efficiency etc.. temporarly i decided on a garret t3 60 trim, .48 AR high output turbo. i never purchased it. a buddy of mine that has built 3 or 4 setups on zc`s told me that for the b18, that turbo is a little small and will pooch out at higher rpm. when i look at the compressor map i kinda understand what he is talking about. it gets to max efficiency at around 4000 rpm but might not produce any power at much higher than that. considering that it also spools at liek 2500 rpm. i want to feel the turbo kick when i am driving my car, so i dont know if this choice of turbo is the best since its spool time is soo fast. i have been looking into a .60A/R 60 trim t3 and into the GT28R and GT28RS turbos for my setup. im not sure if they wil be what i want though. just from attemping to understand turbo specs. they seem liek they could be good turbos for my setup. my goal is 240 hp at 12 psi. I dont really want to run more boost that that. i have ARP headstuds and new HG. ive also got my cylinderhead rebuilt and streetported/polished etc. what do u guys think about these turbos? what are some other turbos that have had good results for my power expectation range?
bsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:25 PM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

The GT28rs will get you there on that 240whp mark..... even higher on a decent management.

Your buddy is right about the T3 60 trim being too small. If you read the article by GT40fied, he explained the Adiabatic theory. On a small turbo, even with a B18a/b CFM, you will definitely reached adiabatic by 4-5k RPM.

For a conventional non-ball bearing turbo, get at least a 57 trim T3T04. A Precision SC60 (or 61) is another great pick.

Remember that turbo size is detrimental to making power. For example, a small turbo at 10 psi will yield lower power output than a bigger turbo on the same 10 psi. Although at the same pressure, the volume is different.

Goodluck.

****Dont forget fuel management*****

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:24 AM   #3
bsurge

thanks for the help. is there much of a difference between the GT28R and
GT28RS?? i understand that the disco potato will probly yeld more hp output, but the specs on the GT28R look to be appealing. im converting to OBD1, using a chipped po6 ECU and running DSM 450`s tuned with uberdata for management. a civic in my area runs a b18b with a t3 60 trim. word is is that he pushes 300+ at 14 psi. it seems possible to make similar power from the gt series turbos. 260 was ultimaltly my HP goal , but if i can make 240 ill be totaly happy. what is possible with what i am looking at?? thanks again for the advice

Last edited by bsurge : 07-23-2006 at 11:35 AM.
bsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:12 AM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

A GT28r or GT28Rs is capable to achieve your goal................ easily. That is a more superior turbo than a T3 60.......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote