.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2006, 12:42 AM   #1
ebrakespin

Which way should I go for fuel magement??? HELP!!

I have been planing a 'do it yourself' turbo set-up on my 93 accord for about a year now and it is finally coming time to put it all together. One of the last pieces is the fuel system. I have heard of different ways to up the fuel ratio by a FMU or new injectors. Being that I am poor and need to conserve money Im thinking about going the route of FMU, but there are some things I need to know. There are different ratios out there and I heard that the 10:1 is best for hondas, but that seems like a lot. If anyone knows anything about what ratio would be the best I would greatly appreciate the info.

P.S. ANY other info about the preperation of the fuel system for a turbo would be awsome.
ebrakespin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
JDMFantasy2k

i'll only say it once....

DON'T USE A FUCKING FMU

they suck so bad it's not even funny, possibly the worst choice for fuel managemnt you could have.

If you have to, you can run a vafc hack like everyone else, however for the same money, you can run a chipped ecu with crome or uberdata, now let me explain what all this means.

First of all you NEED injectors. DSM 450's (blue tops) work quite nice, and can be had for cheap money. Now there are 2 types of injectors, saturated, and peak and hold. The difference is in the impedance (one is high, the other low). I'm not sure which ones you need because i always forget. However You'll more than likely need a resistor box to run them because they're a difference impedance from honda ones. Otherwise they should drop in with small modifications to the seals. Any other injectors made for a honda will work too as long as they're in the 450cc range

Now to controll the injectors you can use a vafc which is a fuel controller. This is nice if you don't have someone who can tune an ecu for you. Basically you trick the ecu into adding more fuel. It's not the best way to run it, but it's better than an FMU in my opinion, and i believe Arnel ran a vafc for over 3 years.

The best management for the money is a chipped ecu. Seeing you have an accord i'm not exactly sure which ecu you'd need, but most people with civics run P28's (92-95 civic ex) and you can solder in a socket so you can program different chips and remove them. Then you need to download a program like crome (my fav) or uberdata, which are both like hondata. Then you need a chip burner, to burn the program onto the chip, and it's the same as running a factory turbo'd car basically.

usually you can get into a chipped ecu for 100 bucks, and find a friend to tune, some people will also do it over the net, they'll send you a base map, you tell them what to change and then they'll send you another.

actually, i think i'm gonna do a write up on homemade turbo kits tonight if i get some motivation, but i'll answer some more later
Old 02-17-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
thermal
Banning Machine

8:1 or 10:1 is fine..... but really, like what my boy said up there^, look into Uberdata or Crome. These managements are free. You just have to get an ECU chipped. There are base maps available for free online. You are better off running an electronic management.... trust me....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 12:19 AM   #4
JDMFantasy2k

Quote:
Originally posted by thermal
8:1 or 10:1 is fine..... but really, like what my boy said up there^, look into Uberdata or Crome. These managements are free. You just have to get an ECU chipped. There are base maps available for free online. You are better off running an electronic management.... trust me....

yeah i forgot to mention the free part, which is the best part! All in all an ecu and someone to tune it for you will cost you the same as a vafc or fmu.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:11 PM   #5
ebrakespin

OK, so I ditched the idea of using an fmu and I am going to chip a p06 ECU and use uberdata in conjunction w/ a wideband o2sensor and 440 or 450 injectors. What I need to know is if I need to get a manual transmission p06 for my 5 spd, or can I use this auto p06 I have access to? I have searched and found some conflicting advice. Thanks again for your help
Old 02-28-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
JDMFantasy2k

i'm pretty sure you can convert ecu's from auto to manual and possibly vice versa, but i don't know how to do it or which ones are capable of it.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:58 PM   #7
thermal
Banning Machine

The chip that gets modified for Uberdata/Hondata/Crome set-up is the same chip that get converted from auto to manual. So whether the chip is auto or manual is not an issue. Contact xenocron (www.homemadeturbo.com), kenji (www.honda-tech.com), or phearable (www.honda-tech.com). They'll hook you up. I think the cheapest is xenocron tho.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum

Last edited by thermal : 03-01-2006 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:20 PM   #8
JDMFantasy2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal
The chip that ges modified for Uberdata/Hondata/Crome set-up is the same chip that get converted from auto to manual. So whether the chip is auto or manual is not an issue. Contact xenocron (www.homemadeturbo.com), kenji (www.honda-tech.com), or phearable (www.honda-tech.com). They'll hook you up. I think the cheapest is xenocron tho.....

vouch for xenocron, he's a good guy.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:17 AM   #9
ebrakespin

OK, I have ran into yet another problem. I have begun the task of actually installing the turbo, but the log manifold that I bought puts the turbo way too close to the alternater. This really pisses me off because it took the guy who made it forever to get it to me. Anyway, I have read many places to just use a stock DSM manifold, but looking at their pictures it seems like you couldn't use a t3/t4 turbo on these because the flange where the turbo mounts is rotated 90 deg. off, which would put the exhaust port of the turbo pointing into the engine. Does anyone know about this? Can you use this manifold with a t3/t4? Thanks
Old 03-15-2006, 12:30 PM   #10
thermal
Banning Machine

If you use a DSM manifold, you will have redrill a couple of holes to match the exhaust port. Another issue is that you will have to get an adapter flange going from the manifold to a T3 flange (for a T3T04). The manifold will either have a T25 flange or 14b flange. As far as the T3T04 fitment, I'm not sure how much room you have alloted for while using a DSM manifold. Go search on HMT. They will have a better answer for you. Contact BMC on HMT for the adapter flange. Goodluck

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum