Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
bsurge

B18 turbo cams

hey everyone

im building a turbo b18b setup into an ef. ive got the block all stripped down and its on a stand. this is kinda a nube question but first off ive been running into problems with the cams. ive done the cams on an sohc engine but this is new to me. i need to take them off to access the headstuds to take the cylinder head off. ive been following the haynes manual but it sucks and doesnt give good info. i dont want to screw anything up like removal orders of the bolts or to wreck one of the bearing caps. does anyone have info on how to get them out. i cant seem to find info that helps. second, a friend told me about the edelbrock turbo cams for b18. he says that woudl be a good mod to do. my first impression was that it wasnt worth it. im just running a stock internal block, ARP headstuds and new headgasket with a rebuilt cylinderhead. does anyone know anything about these cams and their performance??Is it worth it for me to install these???
bsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

I can get you the helm's page for the order later tomorrow (honestly, I just dont feel like digging for it today...)

I will be using Crower 403-2 cams in my ls turbo setup. Despite being for NA, they make more power than the turbo cams, even with duration tuned in (rather than out as you may expect).
Basically, it really boils down to what you want to do. They can always be added later down the road as well. But pretty much anything over stock is going to be an upgrade
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #3
bsurge

thanks for the reply. how much of a power increase do u think these cams would produce verses not runing them. i assumed that they woudl be maybe an increase of maybe 20 hp??wil this make my engine more difficult to tune with the cams???u are talkign about crower cams too. waht kindof info can u tell me about those?
bsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:28 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

I think 20 is on the high side, maybe crower 404s would make that...maybe...but I wouldnt be disappointed with 17-ish.

Since Ive never looked at the edelbrock stuff I couldnt tell you what theyd make. You could always compare yourself though, crower has all the cam specs available online, and Im sure Edelbrock does also.
If you go too much higher lift over stock, you WILL need to use dual valve springs...or you'll end up with baby pistons and baby valves after they mate.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
thermal
Banning Machine

Any aftermarket is beneficial especially if dyno tuned. For us VTEC guys, TypeR cams can yield between 20-40 whp.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote