Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2003, 05:53 PM   #1
Spazum888
3rd Gear

Well i got it, my new car - Nissan 240SX

ooooohh yaaaa. finally got a 1996 Nissan 240sx. temp tag and everything. a few mods here and there... he powder coated the rims a dark gunmetal color... (i think it looks really bad) and he put 300ZX rotors and calipers... they said he "added" a limited slip-diferental. my first mod was the chrome TYPE R cigarette lighter @ .75 cents down at this hobby store

has around 98,000 miles, speeddometer works sometimes... i think their might be a loose wire or something... he modded the tail lights so the amber turn signels would come on with the running lights, witch has messed up the whole lighting system back there.... ive gone through 4 bulbs already. im going down where i got it and getting that part replaced....

all and all im happy with it. comments and concerns please post

Girls are like internet domain names, the ones I like are already taken.
well, you can stil get one from a strange country :-P
Spazum888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 06:13 PM   #2
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Congrats! Its a nice car -- except for the color..
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 06:29 PM   #3
silver

at least you got the brake upgrade out of the way. and you got the se, 5 lug...awesome. so you droppin an sr20? where you gonna get it done at if so? and what about putting the other front end on for the good looking s14 headlights? I can see about getting you a front clip if you're looking for one, might be able to do a little cheaper than what i've seen out here in florida.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 06:32 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

nice...i want one

get it fixed asap...that rear light crap sucks
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 07:16 PM   #5
pimpinprelude

nice car dude.....man i need a running one....
pimpinprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 07:42 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

wrong hand drive if you ask me

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 07:58 PM   #7
pimpinprelude

o yea its probably none of my biz.. but who much did u pay?????????
pimpinprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 09:05 PM   #8
Spazum888
3rd Gear

thanks guys. i got it for 5,979 out the door.... tax, tag, title. indeed it is an SE.... i was looking for a car with power locks ( i wanna get off work, push a button and be able to get in my car with out scraching up the paint looking for the key hole) and power windows ( i hated reaching over to the passenger side and crank rolling the window when i had my civic) and had to be a 5 speed. <--- that was a must

as for as mods.... gonna have to wait for a bit... this car cleaned me out good. i actually had to barrow 1,500 from my parents, it needed 2 new tired, plus i needed to pay for insureance, plus i was alittle short for the car.

ya i cant drive it untill i get the tail lights fixed...

SR20 is diffently a goal. its still a stock Nissan engien so my insurence will cover me.... i would like the crazy headlights... but i would have to replace the hood, bumber, and quarter pannels... so ill just get some siliva projecters. looks like siver and i are gonna become nizmo buddies oh if you know of any good nissan forums... let me know.

Old 08-03-2003, 09:27 PM   #9
silver

oviedo isn't that far
nismo is releasing their stuff for your car here in the fall, so you've got time to get your financials straight. besides, you have to get other things done before you can really have fun with the motor first. there are lots of forums out there, i'll get you all the info. i used to have a 95 240 but had to get rid of it, so i'm sure i can help out.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 09:43 PM   #10
Duckydos

Yea, the electrical problems is worrying me a bit but it's a nice and clean car otherwise. He got it and I was like "hrmm, new toy" but I'm afraid not I am going to push Spazzy towards suspension work before the engine so we can do some autocrossing, but that will all be in good time. Anyway, best of luck Spazzy (and you still owe me $150 for those tires )

-Ducky
Old 08-03-2003, 09:52 PM   #11
sohc_vtec 2NR

nice car....the silvia headlights would look tight on ur "us-silvia"...
Old 08-03-2003, 09:52 PM   #12
Spazum888
3rd Gear

ya my card maxed out and ducky came through... he acutally got the price down on them too.

thanks silver. ya oviedo is pretty close to everything... defently well have to hook up and chat. i didnt know nismo wasnt out here.

as far as mods... seriously they are gonna have to wait till i get my dues paid off....

Last edited by Spazum888 : 08-03-2003 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:22 AM   #13
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

ooo zenki 240.

very nice. He did the z32 caliper upgrade? damn I envy you. Are there any more 240's over in FL? I still have to wait a year for mine :(

but it'll be skyline powered

but.. damnit I hate you.

everyone loves the turbizzim.
TeriyakiBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 01:10 AM   #14
thermal
Banning Machine

www.freshalloy.com is a great Nissan Forum. Congrats with your new car. My buddy has 92 with a T4 turbo. Shiet is tite, but the engine gave out on him. Happy drifting?

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 01:17 AM   #15
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Congrats on the new car! Great choice, I'm sure you'll have fun with this one

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 02:17 AM   #16
juvenile

I would honesty love to own one of those cars. Maybe when I get a job I'll finally be able to afford my own desires. One day...
Enjoy the ride though.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:28 AM   #17
Spazum888
3rd Gear

drifting indeed... but in a big @$$ parking lot

thanks for the support/luck

TeriyakiBroccoli you know soo much stuff about cars... as far as 240's ya there are a few... ill defently take some pics when i see them

we went to sebring for an AUTO-X event.... saw a S-13 siliva with a SR20 swap.... i accidently drooled on his bumber...

Old 08-04-2003, 10:56 PM   #18
slowEJ6

nice to see you got a car again, pat.
unfortunately i cannot see it in person anymore :(
regardless though, good luck with it man and if you need any help.......ive been doing my 240 research for the past 6 months so i can help ya out

send me some pics when you put the 24" sprewells on and get ted dansons face (from saving private ryan) airbrushed onto the hood.

heres one for you
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 11:05 PM   #19
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriyakiBroccoli
ooo zenki 240.

very nice. He did the z32 caliper upgrade? damn I envy you. Are there any more 240's over in FL? I still have to wait a year for mine :(

but it'll be skyline powered

but.. damnit I hate you.

are you doin the swap yourself???? if so id love to come by and help out (in any way possible) when you do it man.......hit me back
Old 08-04-2003, 11:24 PM   #20
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

woa seriously?

haha, are you getting a 240 soon?

Yea, I'll be doing the swap myself, but I'll send the wiring to mckinney (unless I can figure out the japanese FSM for the s14)

Oh, and the swap wont take place for another year or so. I've seriously got to consider the legality factor of this swap.. If not, I'm going to consider the turbo FD3S

Old 08-04-2003, 11:42 PM   #21
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

Oh, and Spaz, the strawberry face conversion is going to run you in the 2800-3000 dollar range for the lights, fenders, OEM spec hood (s15), Rad Support, and front bumper.

What I plan to do off the bat is get the kouki taillights and slap em on my zenki.. (that is.. theoretically speaking.. when i get the car)

sigh, again I envy you.

Old 08-04-2003, 11:43 PM   #22
mylittlecivic

congrats! it looks good i know what you mean about the no power windows or locks i realllly want that i think its possible to change that out in my car

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 11:47 PM   #23
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

Go to the junkyard and salvage out the parts for your 5th gen civic. Wiring will be a slight pain though.. but I think there should be an extra wire you can tap into.. not sure though.

Old 08-05-2003, 04:36 AM   #24
Violent Apathy

Man, i kinda wish i had gone for a 240...

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Violent Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 02:19 PM   #25
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriyakiBroccoli
woa seriously?

haha, are you getting a 240 soon?

Yea, I'll be doing the swap myself, but I'll send the wiring to mckinney (unless I can figure out the japanese FSM for the s14)

Oh, and the swap wont take place for another year or so. I've seriously got to consider the legality factor of this swap.. If not, I'm going to consider the turbo FD3S

thats ok, i can wait a year or so.

i dont know much about the skyline swap into the 240, havent looked into it much yet cuz i hear its a pain in the ass......as far as legality issues go, i know in CA we can get jdm motors to pass smog - but you need usdm smog equipment, sensors, intake manifold, intake, catalytic convertor.... (i.e - they must have a usdm counterpart - like the B18C is offered here and in japan) so that might be somewhat of a problem.

but heeeeeeeey if you get an rx7 i wouldnt mind helping out with that either - even though i know nothing about a rotary motor as of yet......learning is fun.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:20 PM   #26
Spazum888
3rd Gear

lol thanks tom... im sure youll see it soon. ted danson lolol whoo

i didnt thing the headlight conversion would be THAT much... ill just get some projector headlights... it will look just as good.

man that thing is really unsafe in a quarter tank of gass... several times ive power slid out of a light..... it has alot of tourqe.... dont know about "drifing" it yet... i still got to get used to the car first... ill try to get some video of it and post some later...

seriously i need some nissan forums... i got some questions.... alot of questions

found a site that sells LED tail lights and side markers... pretty cool but $$$$ pricey....
http://www.clearcorners.com/products/

Old 08-05-2003, 02:33 PM   #27
Shot 2 Hel

good buy man
Old 08-05-2003, 02:56 PM   #28
Spazum888
3rd Gear

thanks....

i just found out i can start my car with out the clutch engaged.... no joke. i turned on my car to roll up the windows.... and i acidently cranked it over one time... IT STARTED TO CRANK OVER!!! my feet were out side the car... so i cranked it all the way over and it started. soooo i dont know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

and my speedodemter works now and then... it has to be a loose cable somewhere... cuz ill go over a bumb... and it will tell me my speed and everything... hit another bumb and it goes... but when i accelerate it tells me my speed... go to second... and it says zero... so i dont know

Old 08-05-2003, 05:01 PM   #29
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by slowEJ6
thats ok, i can wait a year or so.

i dont know much about the skyline swap into the 240, havent looked into it much yet cuz i hear its a pain in the ass......as far as legality issues go, i know in CA we can get jdm motors to pass smog - but you need usdm smog equipment, sensors, intake manifold, intake, catalytic convertor.... (i.e - they must have a usdm counterpart - like the B18C is offered here and in japan) so that might be somewhat of a problem.

but heeeeeeeey if you get an rx7 i wouldnt mind helping out with that either - even though i know nothing about a rotary motor as of yet......learning is fun.

Nah, it doesnt have a USDM counterpart, and It'll fail the visual inspection :( thats why I need to find someone who lives out of state .. so I can register it..

And yea, I've joined a couple Rotary clubs, and tried to do a little research, but these rotaries are retartedly complex.

As far as the complexity of the RB swap into the 240, its relatively easy. Granted, its not as easy as the SR20... places like Mckinney Motorsports down in SD offer a RB Mount + Driveshaft kit for 1100. Buy a new radiator, hoses, new belts, new FMIC, BOV, Fuel Pump, injectors, and an advanced piggy back like power fc, and you'll be fine.

I was trying to price out a list for a RB26 swap, but that would put me over 10 Grand, because I'd have to mate the RB25 tranny to the 26 block. Tranny alone is like 1500 USD.

And Spaz, what kinda questions you got? I'm happy you got the 240

As for the speedo, is it analog or digital? And when you started the car... It didnt run did it? or did it just drag the car along..

Old 08-05-2003, 07:55 PM   #30
juvenile

Btw, I was just wondering about this as I always hear nissan 240's before 92 came without lsd, and after 92 came with lsd (or something close to that)
I'm pretty sure it's not lsd igintion (could be wrong though), and I heard it's something to do with suspension. Can anyone clue me in...
Old 08-05-2003, 08:25 PM   #31
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

yea, pre '94 240's came with HICAS which is basically a steering aid. As you turn the wheels, the back wheels turn as well. It sucks for drifting, and I think several companies offer some bypass systems.

As far as LSDs go, I'm not sure if pre 95 models came with LSDs from the factory. 95-98 on certain models (I'm sure its only SE) come with a factory LSD system called VLSD.. which is Vicious LSD.

They work, but they .. again suck for drifting. Most drifters/racers (with any sense) upgrade to a kaaz or better limited slip.

Old 08-05-2003, 08:26 PM   #32
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

Oh yea, and newer model 240s, the s14s did not come with HICAS. I'm not sure why they wanted to discontinue it (probably b/c it doesn't do jack shit) but they stopped with the '94s (convertible model s13s)

Old 08-05-2003, 08:53 PM   #33
slowEJ6

its actually Viscous......not Vicious
Old 08-05-2003, 11:03 PM   #34
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

damnit. spelling suxor.