::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2002, 09:11 AM   #1
negrobello

ABS Light on!

The ABS light on my 94 Accord EX came on a few months ago and I took it to the dealer and they said it would cost between $1500 and $2000 to repair. Is there any need to really get this fix? I live in florida and don't think I really need it. It doesn't snow here
Old 04-10-2002, 11:35 AM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

What is actually wrong with the system???

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 01:54 PM   #3
spoogenet

Re: ABS Light on!

Quote:
Originally posted by negrobello
The ABS light on my 94 Accord EX came on a few months ago and I took it to the dealer and they said it would cost between $1500 and $2000 to repair. Is there any need to really get this fix? I live in florida and don't think I really need it. It doesn't snow here

Yeah, it depends on whether the ABS system is malfunctioning, or whether the sensor is malfunctioning.

I hope you don't think that ABS is good for, or only good for, the snow. Some people prefer no ABS at all....for them, this is irrelevant. But if you have ABS, it has its pluses and minuses. ALL, or almost all, ABS systems are helpful in the rain. 3-channel and 4-channel will all be helpful in the rain. They are mostly helpful for maintaining steering control, but they will probably stop you more quickly than you would have without ABS.

MOST ABS systems can be detrimental in the snow/ice. They will tend to give you better steering control (if steering control is attainable), but they will vastly increase your stopping distance. Some cars' ABS systems will provide better stopping distance in the snow than most drivers will attain, but most will be worse than having no ABS at all. 3-channel are especially notorious for being the worst in the snow IIRC, and 4-channel is usually preferable. However I've heard of 4-channel systems being problematic for stopping distance as well. Part of the problem, as I understand it, is that many of them simply pulse the brakes without regard to traction conditions. A good ABS system must be capable of altering its behavior depending on the road/traction conditions.

I'm not sure how Honda ABS systems perform, though....

b
Old 04-10-2002, 03:21 PM   #4
blownteggy

go to another mechanic and have him check it out...check your pads, fluid, rotors, anything brake related
Old 04-10-2002, 09:37 PM   #5
hondav6

i have the same problem with my car. they ran the code and it came up a pump overflow, meaning that the abs pump was done for. according to the honda dealer around my way, they have had lots of problems with the 94-97 honda accords with abs. the dealership quoted me 1200 to fix the damn thing, i said the hell with it. all i did was just a black piece of tape over where the light is so that i don't have to look at it.

also, you might want to have your wheel sensors checked out. if you have had work done on your front breaks the person(s) who worked on the vehicle might have messed the sensors up.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:36 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

who the hell cares about ABS? need to stop quicly ? hit a pole or something. i prefer no abs. i can stop better and safer with my accord than my with my moms buick with ABS

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 08:41 AM   #7
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
who the hell cares about ABS? need to stop quicly ? hit a pole or something. i prefer no abs. i can stop better and safer with my accord than my with my moms buick with ABS

I think the idea with stopping quickly is to live through it....otherwise you might as well just hit the gas. Also, the size of the pole significantly affects how quickly you stop.

b

Disclaimer: Kids, don't try this at home....we're trained professionals.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:43 AM   #8
hondav6

i personally think that it is easier to stop without the abs. My accord has abs but the pump has gone bad on it. I really don't feel like spending 1200 getting the thing fixed, id rather try to get the car to run faster
Old 04-29-2002, 11:01 PM   #9
94AccordEx-R

although i didn't bother reading what the other responded, cause i'm a lazy *****, this has happened to me too.

only because my handbrake light was not lighting up anymore so instead the ABS light lit up. The ABS light was gone after I changed the bulb for the handbrake. later.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:16 PM   #10
94AccordEx-R

does your ebrake light show up when you pull it up??
i had the same problem, when my ebrake bulb was burnt out, the ABS light started to show up, i replaced the bulb for a cheap price, and the ABS light came off.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:12 AM   #11
azn_nite_ryder

abs are actually worse.. i dont like them personally.. its only meant for having more control when braking for short distances.. either than that it'll take longer to come to a stop.....
mine has it but it has been disabled.... hehehe
Old 04-30-2002, 08:18 AM   #12
spoogenet

It's only worse on some systems, it's better on others. Some cars' ABS systems provide superior control and stopping distance in dry/rain/snow than without. I think MB is known for good ABS systems. One thing that MB does, as well, is they have a high-speed braking system. Based upon factors such as vehicle speed, speed at which you hit the brake pedal, and maybe some others...if it thinks you're doing emergency braking, then it'll engage the ABS system with full braking power instantly since many drivers will hit the brakes too late and apply too little pressure to them. This system could really save your hood....but it could also ruin your rear if the guy behind you doesn't have a Benz.

b