.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2005, 11:16 PM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Anyone know about this program?

I'm seriously thinking of downloading PeerGuardian2. I used to have the first incarnation of PG, but i really just used it to test how often people I didn't want contacting me were trying to do so. Seemed like a pretty effective IP blocker for spyware and for P2P apps...but I'm wonder if this program (or other IP blockers like it) have their downsides? I haven't used it since my reformat and I'm wondering if I shouldn't dl it again. Anyone know if ISPs get pissed when you use these programs? Mine doesn't specifically say it prohibits them, but then again they also said they wouldn't give my name out to the MPAA or RIAA (yeah...took them all of 3 hours to give that up). Your thoughts? Aaron...Trevor...anyone?
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:14 PM   #2
blind34_1

looks very similar to ProtoWall, which I used briefly. All it is is a black lister program. You download the latest list of known scum (RIAA, MPAA, spyware, etc.) and it sits and watches for those IPs. Seemed like a decent app (protowall), but then I stopped using filesharing networks because poorly ripped content pisses me off, so I didnt have a use for that to sit in the background.

I have a hardware firewall, plus windows firewall running. norton worm protection sits in the background as well. Using microsofts antispyware keeps me running clean and spyware free.
^^That's why I havent played with programs like that too much.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:54 AM   #3
Kalvin

I used to download a ton of movies off bittorrent, but when the mpaa started going after people for using that, I moved onto usenet/newsgroups.. so no need for stuff like peerguardian. Don't know of much downsides for using it, other than the database would need to be constantly updated... so no guarantee that it'll block every ip that the mpaa and riaa are using.
Kalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:00 AM   #4
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Wow...I even pulled Kalvin out for an ultra-rare post. I keep hearing about usegroups/newsgroups, but have no idea what they are. I also hear that most are invite-only and only invite a few people per month. As for right now, Bittorrent seems to be my only option.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:50 AM   #5
Mischief

word gt40.. I've heard of them as well but don't know much more about them

http://mensalmanac.com
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 06:03 AM   #6
Kalvin

You might be able to check on your ISP's website to see if they offer a newsgroup server. Some of them offers them for free with service, but has a limit on the amount you can download. I use bellsouth dsl and they have news servers with unlimited transfers. You might be able to find free news servers online too, but many of the ones I found were no longer working.

Once you have found one, all you need is a program that will download binaries and decode them. I use GrabIt from http://www.shemes.com/ . There are many others that will do the same thing. I'm too lazy to browse the various binary groups for the movies and just use www.newzbin.com to lookup what other people have posted. Also be sure to install QuickPar, which will let you rebuild files that aren't complete. If you use GrabIt, by default it doesn't download or show the incomplete articles. Change the settings to show all articles, and incomplete ones will be in red. If there aren't too many, also download the par files and use QuickPar to repair.

gt40, I believe you use cox internet? You can go to http://support.cox.com/sdcxuser/asp/cox_main.asp and look under the Learning Center for more info.
Kalvin is offline   Reply With Quote