::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2003, 04:50 PM   #1
91civ_hb

Has anyone ever heard of doin' this????

Howz everybody doin'? I have 4 10" subs in 2 2-sub enclosures that I am about to power up and throw in my whip. My only concern is the damage all the power from my amps and subs are going to do on my car's electrical system. Has anyone ever heard of using another car battery to wire a system up 2? I don't think a lone cap will cut it. If this is in any way possible, please let me know how it's done, 'cause if it works, that's the way I want to do it. I've heard people pay mention to this method, but have never gotten any hard facts saying it works. Any advice?

P.S., can i do this and keep my stock alternator? thanks in advance. peace.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:48 PM   #2
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

it obviously is possible.. But probably wont do what you think it will.. If you want to run a system with your car off, then yes, an extra reserve of juice will help.

but if you want an extra battery to help out your electrical system (ie playing loud while motor running), then it wont do you any good. Simply because the weak link is your alternator.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 07:53 PM   #3
A_D

yeah people do that shit all the time
but you HAVE to have a good altenator.
think about it. you have one battery that is running your car and your system. your altenator powers that.
then you put two batteries in your car. one for your car, one for your system, and both running off the same altenator. your altenator will eat shit quick.
get a new altenator and you won't have to worry about another dedicated battery.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:57 PM   #4
91civ_hb

sounds good fellas, thanks alot. what's a good amperage output for an alternator that will be handling all that power. i wanna wire up 2 1000w amps by the way. thanks again.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:58 PM   #5
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

P.S. When dealing with important amperage, a cap is always a good idea..
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 09:05 PM   #6
A_D

id say a 160 amp alt if you can get that would be great
Old 05-13-2003, 12:57 PM   #7
Non_Affiliated

Quote:
Originally posted by 91civ_hb
sounds good fellas, thanks alot. what's a good amperage output for an alternator that will be handling all that power. i wanna wire up 2 1000w amps by the way. thanks again.

What manufacture? Is that peak wattage or RMS? Second Are these Class D amps, or A/B? What amperage alternator do you have stock? Have you beefed up your alternator wire, and battery grounds?

Also Is this a daily driver, or a Compitition setup?
Old 06-29-2003, 03:15 PM   #8
Civcity

Capacitors are used to store electircity which inn your case would be the best way to go. They provide a surge of power for when your subs require it but as said before regardless you will most likely go through alternators like there is no tomorrow. Is there any Comptition Audio shops around that you could ask?