.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2002, 09:32 PM   #1
TypeSrsx02

H22A best swap for 92' civic?? b18a? PLEASE READ!!

Guys I'm trying to decide whether to go with a 2.2 vtec or a 1.8 vtec engine for a 92 civic hatchback. I need your advice on how much of a bigger hastle it is going to be for the 2.2 vtec. I'm planning on fully building it and would prefer the 2.2 since i've already done that motor in the past. Let me know any insight on this. Is there enough room to work with?? Does it mount straight in? any info on this would help lots . thanks
Old 03-18-2002, 12:30 PM   #2
JaY D. Em

hmm... where to start... Well, i can say that if drag racing is your thing than go for it! The times i've gotten out of it on only 2 runs with civic stocks are amazing... I just rolled up to the track as is and hit 13.86@99.71 mph on my second and last run of the night! The motor doesn't bolt in with stock mounts. I'm using the HASport mounts and haven't had any trouble out of them. They run at about $650-$700. The ONLY downside to the swap is the motor is long therefore i have a flat spot on my header where it's been hit a few times. That's the only drawback so far. My next project for it is the a/c which will be custom. It's not the cheapest swap in that it'll cost around $5000 after all the misc parts are bought. That includes avg labor rates.

As far as the 2 motors against each other...

I raced a gsr hatch at the track last friday which had i/h/e cam gears, v-afc, tuned with clutch and it was hitting 14.20's on street tires. Don't get me wrong, it's a respectable time... But tell my why he redlighted (took off before me) and i caught him at about the 1/8 mile... Look at my sig for the mods. You can see that i have way less than what he had. Plus i beat his mph too... He hit 97mph on that one. The 2 just aren't comparable as far as swaps go... I promise you the swap is worth the money! I'm planning to hit 12's all motor by the summer and probably by next winter i would've sold all my all motor stuff and it will be turbocharged. Shouldn't have too much problems hitting 11's daily on stock internals (thicker headgasket). That'd be my second turbocharged prelude motor (except it wasn't in a civic! :( )
I say go for it... Both would make good street cars... One's just faster than the other!
Old 03-18-2002, 06:16 PM   #3
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by JaY D. Em

I raced a gsr hatch at the track last friday which had i/h/e cam gears, v-afc, tuned with clutch and it was hitting 14.20's on street tires.
seems like a bad driver. turbocharged b18b is awesome. nothing WRONG with the h22, i just dont prefer it in a civic, id go B series.

B16A + new pistons/rods + turbo = good stuff
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 08:19 PM   #4
TypeSrsx02

yea that about there being no space was my biggest concern. You said your header rubs now and then and I plan to put a turbo there so there would be a space problem. How cramed is it under your hood? Is there space to work with? Do you think there's enough room for a turbo, downpipe, wastegate, and intercooler piping?
Old 03-21-2002, 02:45 PM   #5
JaY D. Em

no... not crammed in the engine bay... Low to the ground! you'll ding you header or turbo manifold up for sure!!! There's plenty of room for a healthy size turbo. Intercooler piping's gonna be a trick to do, but doable no doubt... I should be boosting by christmas...
Old 04-06-2002, 03:46 PM   #6
ZeroAccess

What are you using for suspension?
on the h22a civic
Old 04-08-2002, 11:45 PM   #7
nauticapinoy

how low can a H22 civic go by the way? i heard no lower than 1.5" is this true?
Old 04-10-2002, 08:27 AM   #8
Integra221

I know that many people who put prelude motors into little civics and crxs have big problems with steering since the prelude motor is much heavier adding more weight to the front of the car. Im not really sure if this can be fixed with some heavy duty suspension or not. But I know most people that do this type of swap are donig it for drag racing only not everyday driving.