::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2002, 05:17 PM   #1
maxpsi

distributor leak

i just had this shop do a B16A2 swap into my 2k civic ex 5spd. Shortly after i noticed a small oil leak near the distributor. I told them and they said to bring it back up there and they would fix it no charge. After a week they still couldnt fix the leak. They said the only way to fix it was to either find someone with a blown head that would sell that part (slim chance) or buy a whole new head (dealers and Jyards wont sell the piece seperately = too much $$$$). The shop said they wouldnt buy a whole new head cause that would be too much $$$$. the piece i am talkin about is where the distributor bolts up to the head underneath the valve cover and hold down the end of the camshaft.

does anyone know where i can get just that piece???

is it true that that piece is matched to the head from the factory??
Old 05-14-2002, 06:36 PM   #2
OneDopeTeg

go to a honda dealership....i know exactly what part you are talking about but first before you buy a new one make sure that there is some liquid gasket between that cam holder and the block....if there isnt then that is most likely your problem!
Old 05-14-2002, 06:59 PM   #3
maxpsi

Quote:
Originally posted by OneDopeTeg
go to a honda dealership....i know exactly what part you are talking about but first before you buy a new one make sure that there is

they wont sell me just that part.....they only sell the whole head which includes that part.

"some liquid gasket between that cam holder and the block....if there isnt then that is most likely your problem!" ------- I dont understand what u mean by this??? could go into more detail on this please?!?!
Old 05-15-2002, 09:14 PM   #4
OneDopeTeg

the outter cam holder (hopefully we are talking about the same part here) that the distributor bolts up to needs to have some liquid gasket applied to it before it is bolted to the head....think about sealing the entire engine....you have the head gasket between the head and block, and the rubber gasket between the head and the valve cover....the only area not gasketed is where the cams enter and exit the head....sure the cams themselves have rubber O rings on them but what about where the outer cam holders are exposed....this is why liquid gasket needs to be applied under the outer cam holders! that is a pic from a helms for a B18