.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2003, 10:56 PM   #1
Maxvla

time for a new thread so...

how bout i show you my new water setup. trev should enjoy this

finally got all my parts in and tore down my rig to set it up for water. ran the pump while i was asleep to let it get the air out of the lines and then powered it up in the morning.

temps are decent. 42 load at 3.4ghz which was 52-54 on air with my slk900u.

my board reads temps way off so its really more like 35 load. which is pretty good.

i used distilled water and Dtek Supercool and red UV dye.

everything barely fits in this case. the clearance from the pump to the radiator assembly is about 1/8th of an inch and the clearance from the pump to the sound card is also 1/8th of an inch.

its louder than i was led to believe but it'll work. once i get my pump power cable through my case i can put the side panel back on and it will be much quieter then. i've got a fan controller so i can adjust all my fans for loudness as well.

its been an interesting project. not sure if it was worth it but we'll see

soon as i get a new board i can get better temp readings so i know where i'm actually at.

still got to do some loose ends like the wiring is all over the place and whatnot, but thats easy enough.

running now at 3.6ghz stable with temps at 42 load.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:06 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Ahh, glad to see you did it Chris! Looks really nice and clean too. In the next couple of weeks I'll be making a separate box for my WC gear because I can't fit the 1250 in with the 9700 and everything else. You squeezed everything in very nicely though.

42 load @ 3.6 is really good! How do you like those fans?

I just got some of that new Shin Etsu thermal compound (or whatever its called) from a friend and I hope that will help my temps go down a little.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 11:10 PM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

is all that stuff worth it ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 11:14 PM   #4
Maxvla

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
Ahh, glad to see you did it Chris! Looks really nice and clean too. In the next couple of weeks I'll be making a separate box for my WC gear because I can't fit the 1250 in with the 9700 and everything else. You squeezed everything in very nicely though.

42 load @ 3.6 is really good! How do you like those fans?

I just got some of that new Shin Etsu thermal compound (or whatever its called) from a friend and I hope that will help my temps go down a little.

i've got a vantec fanbus so i can turn them down to silent and my load temps only go up 1/2 a degree so i just leave them silent all the time.

all i can say is i'm glad i went with this pump instead of something longer.. cause it wouldn't have fit! lol.

i'm using as3 on mine. i figure its good enough.

and stefan... depends.
Old 06-25-2003, 04:13 PM   #5
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Very cool!
Old 06-25-2003, 07:58 PM   #6
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
is all that stuff worth it ?

It really depends. Right now, the reservoir in my system is cracking and I just moved, so the system is torn apart and I can't just go plug it in and use it. I have to repair the whole water system first. Big PITA sometimes, but in the end, its worth it if you really want to push your CPU.

Old 06-25-2003, 09:46 PM   #7
Maxvla

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
Big PITA sometimes, but in the end, its worth it if you really want to push your CPU.

and do it nearly silent.

once i get my sidepanel back on i think mine will be virtually silent.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:44 AM   #8
ShagginJet

Correct me if I'm wrong but the way a water cooled system works is based on a heat exchange system. Kind of like the way a refirgerator works. My point here is that if it's a heat exchange system, one of the components in the system is going to build up some heat, that component is usually meant to be stored outside of the case so that it's not adding heat to the system. That's why refrigerators and A/C units have a part that needs to be outside, or have a ducting that runs outside. Otherwise they'd be wasting their energy trying to cool the air that they just heated up.

Yes/No??

http://63.249.135.19/hdrive/car/index.htm
ShagginJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 04:21 PM   #9
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ShagginJet
Correct me if I'm wrong but the way a water cooled system works is based on a heat exchange system. Kind of like the way a refirgerator works. My point here is that if it's a heat exchange system, one of the components in the system is going to build up some heat, that component is usually meant to be stored outside of the case so that it's not adding heat to the system. That's why refrigerators and A/C units have a part that needs to be outside, or have a ducting that runs outside. Otherwise they'd be wasting their energy trying to cool the air that they just heated up.

Yes/No??

Refrigerators and freezers work on a phase change principle, which can be done on a computer, but its not what he's doing. This is just cooling down the water with a radiator/fan combo as it flows through, similar to a car. If the radiator is in the case, yes, it realeases some hot air into the car, but your exhaust fans take car of that. The primary purpose is to cool down the actual CPU so you can push it further.