.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2003, 10:10 PM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Download videos to VCD?

Is there any way to do this? I've got a bunch of stuff I've downloaded and I want to burn it onto a CD I can stick in my DVD player. Is there any way to do this? I'm f@ckin clueless.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 03:59 AM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Yes there is, if your DVD player can play VCD, or even better SVCDs.

Go to vcdhelp.com (or something like that ) for more info.

You'll need to convert the downloaded material into MPG1 (or MPG2 for SVCD) and into the correct resolution (don't remember, but SVCD is 480x480 or something similar)

I use TMPENC for most of the work, but there are other tools out there. I usually use Nero to burn.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 01:32 AM   #3
pbateson

That true!

DVD and VCR player can be record the tape or CD.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:16 PM   #4
Daviso27
3rd Gear

The best program (that I know) is Nero...If the movies are in an AVI or MPEG format your good to go...Download the free trial of NERO at Nero.com and enter this crackcode as the serial number (150804-421809-174587-664750) You should be good to go. Now each movie should be split into parts no larger that 200-300MB...and after each burn you should restart you PC to clear the cache.

No need to convert...nero does it for you.
Daviso27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 07:17 PM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

i was JUST about to ask this
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:48 PM   #6
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

So I finally broke down and bought one of those cheap burning programs and have been fairly pleased with it. I tried usign Nero (even with the serial Daviso27 gave) and haven't had hardly any luck. Won't even let me enter the damn number...maybe I've gotta wait until the trial period is up. But I've got TMPGenc and AVI 2 VCD and that's worked pretty well for the encoding (AVI 2 VCD is free but takes forever and a f@cking day to convert bigger files...for a roughly 1 1/2 hour file it can take as long as 15 hours or so, taking up 100% of your CPU in the process). TMPGenc works faster and is free for trial use but eventually you need to register it I believe...could be wrong on that. Plus it won't encode a lot of bigger files and is kind of picky about what it will and won't encode. It's great for merge/cutting, though. Personally I've been downloading a bunch of old Mystery Science Theater episodes and encoding them at about 1 a day since TMPGenc won't take them. All in all it's a lot easier than I thought it'd be.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 09-04-2003, 12:16 PM   #7
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

The speed it converts really depends on your CPU. That stuff will suck the life outta your CPU.

NERO is really good. Its possible he gave you the wrong serial for the current trial version.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:38 PM   #8
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Will Nero section off a file if it's too big for 1 CD? That's the only thing I like about AVI 2 VCD...you can set the cutoff point at 700MB and then it will create a second file for the second part of the file you're converting. Oh...and AVI 2 VCD also makes you decompress the audio before it will convert whatever media you're using...and it only works with AVI, nothing else.

Old 09-04-2003, 06:49 PM   #9
Daviso27
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
Will Nero section off a file if it's too big for 1 CD? That's the only thing I like about AVI 2 VCD...you can set the cutoff point at 700MB and then it will create a second file for the second part of the file you're converting. Oh...and AVI 2 VCD also makes you decompress the audio before it will convert whatever media you're using...and it only works with AVI, nothing else.

Nero does not! Yo have to spit the files up yourself. And as for the serial crack...open nero, click on help, scroll down to "enter new serial number" then use the number I posted before...If it is any Nero before v.6 you should be able to use it.
Daviso27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 10:32 PM   #10
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Looks like all you can get from their website for free is version 6. It's just as well...I think it burns VCDs in VCD 2.0 and my DVD player will only accept VCD 1.1 (it's a few years old. Oh well.

Old 10-04-2004, 01:44 PM   #11
ShagginJet

I'm pulling this post out of the gutter.

I just got into doing this now that I have two live PC's. I d/l on one, convert/burn on the other. I'm having a problem finding a free (or anything i can make free) program to convert and split my files. I found cucusoft's avi converter to be best but can't get a free copy of anything newer then 3.8 and they're on like 4.5. I'd like to use that but am having issues.

does anyone have any suggestions for software to use. All i need to do is go from avi to vcd or svcd, and then split the files. I'm using nero to burn.

http://63.249.135.19/hdrive/car/index.htm
ShagginJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 03:31 PM   #12
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Man...cucusoft stuff sucks IMO. I use TMPGenc. It's free if you want to just do MPEG-1 stuff (VCD) and serials are easy to find if you want MPEG-2 (SVCD) capability (or you could just pay to use it...whatever). TMPGenc also has an MPEG merge/split tool once you've converted the files. That's all I've used for over a year (for encoding at least) and it works like a charm.

Old 10-06-2004, 10:12 AM   #13
Otakuguy

meh..I just Suprnova'd Nero (http://suprnova.org ) (Great Torrent Site, a lil on the slow side sometimes though ;_; )
I don't typically worry about VCD too much, but from what I've read I think that's all you need to know.
Isn't VCD based on time instead of space though?(like you can fit 80 minutes of video footage on a CD-R? I could be wrong...cause I heard this a couple years ago...
Old 10-06-2004, 01:37 PM   #14
ShagginJet

GT I've looked at that program and it seems like there is so much work needed just to conver avi to vcd. Unless I'm wrong and you have a quick run down of what needs to be done, then I think I'll stick with cucusoft. Yes it is crap, but you click about three buttons, wait 8 hours, and it's all done. Watching the movie now and it appears to be synced right, i hate when shit's out of sync.

http://63.249.135.19/hdrive/car/index.htm
ShagginJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 04:02 PM   #15
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

8 hours!?! TMPGenc has about a 1:1 ratio. If the movie's an hour and a half long, at most it'll take you 2 hours to encode it. It's pretty easy to setup once you know the basics. Here's a quick rundown of operation using the project wizard (open the program, click on "file"-->project wizard):

Step 1: Select format. No matter how you want to burn the finished product, it'll be in NTSC since you live in North America. You can do it regularly (as I always do) or in 16:9 if you've got a widescreen TV.

Step 2: Pick your file. Use the browse button to pick the video file you want to and the audio file should automatically pop in the second box. This is where having the right codec comes in handy. It's always good to have a program called AVICodec to make sure the files you're trying to encode are supported. You can find it HERE . Set the aspect ratio (4:3 NTSC if you've got a normal TV/normal file picture size, 4:3 NTSC [704x480] if the file is in widescreen)

Step 3: The next screen is nothing of consequence. You can pretty much skip it.

Step 4: File size. This page will tell you the file's size. It will also tell you how long the final product will be. This is important to look at because sometimes if the audio is compressed funny it'll show up as being twice as long as the movie really is which means it won't encode right. You can use the audio decompressor bundled with AVI2VCD (found HERE but useless for any other purpose than the audio tool) if this happens. Once everything's squared, next screen.

Step 5: Pick your output file name. Pretty self explanitory. Choose the name you want your file to have when it's done and then begin. It'll throw up a little box that says "this file does not exist (no shit), do you want to create?". Click yes and it'll start up.

Generally I run the program and leave my computer for a while and let it do it's thing. You can do other stuff on top of it, but it'll slow it down a bit. Once you do a few files that way it becomes super easy. I tip-toed through it the first time I used it and now it takes me all of a minute to input a file and start it up.

Hey Otaku...isn't Supernova a pay site? I've been wanting to see what they've got there for a long time, but I don't wanna pay to use it. For torrents I usually use The Pirate Bay.

Last edited by GT40FIED : 10-06-2004 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:47 PM   #16
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
i was JUST about to ask this

ha ha ha... me too

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 05:28 PM   #17
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by thermalfi'd16
ha ha ha... me too

Haha. And to think this all got started over a year ago. Ahhh, how much I've learned. The only gripe I have now is that some torrents will supply you with subtitles seperately in a .sub file and it's up to you to add them to the video stream. That totally sucks because none of the programs for adding them have worked right for me and...well...I don't understand Japanese too well.

Old 10-10-2004, 06:31 PM   #18
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

are you burning these files to CD or DVD?

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 06:51 PM   #19
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
are you burning these files to CD or DVD?

I do all of my stuff in VCD unless I'm actually backing up a DVD. I'd got a program to switch stuff over from AVI to DVD...it just takes a long time and I've never gotten the audio to come out right with the video.

Old 10-10-2004, 06:54 PM   #20
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

ahh ok i was screwing around with my roomates dvd burner and trying to get avi to dvd. its kinda working, just fails encoding every now and then

edit: can xboxs play vcds? or burnt dvds?

Old 10-10-2004, 07:21 PM   #21
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I think it's supposed to...but I don't have one so who knows? I know PS2s will play both. But then again PS2s are just plain better. Hehe.

Old 10-19-2004, 08:42 PM   #22
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i got the dvd burner to work perfect. it decompresses the files and made the quality MUCH better than i could have hoped. the sound is perfect... oh the possibilites now.... these were avi format so far using nero dvd burner.

Old 10-19-2004, 08:52 PM   #23
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Nero's pretty good for that. I tried using the software that came with my TDK burner, which was made by Roxio (which automatically means it's counterintuitive to productivity) and it BLOWS. The only way I could convey how bad it sucks would be to use a larger and bolder font. It takes...say...a 400MB MPEG1 file and suddenly when you add it to the burning ROM list, it's listed as like 2GB. Once I tried inputing a full length movie in there (around an hour and a half long) and it came out to something like 7GB. Wow...could it suck more?