Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2002, 01:17 PM   #1
Digiti123

Free 40 pt. inspection?

Hello again,
I purchased my 1998 Honda Accord LX 4cyl. on June 8th 2002 from my local Honda dealer with 66,101 on the odometer. I purchased it with the certified Honda used car warranty [included in my cost I am sure].
I received a card in the mail several weeks ago offering me a "free" 40 pt. inspection by their service department. I put only 1,350 miles on the car since purchasing it. This what they found and suggested: Front disc brakes are low only 30% remaining, leak in oil pan gasket, small leak upper radiator hose, and I need all my drive belts replaced including Timing Belt and waterpump. The estimate for the pan gasket repair is $156 and for the Timing Belt $800 plus. Does this sound at all resonable? Should the belt be changed at this mileage or at 95,000 or 105,000 as some people have suggested? Should the brakes be this low if they supposedly did a 150 point check and restoration of the car prior to my purchase? If the brakes were this low how did it pass N.Y State inspection? The oil pan gasket should be covered under the powertrain warranty, No? Any thought or opinions are welcome. Thanks very much.
Old 10-06-2002, 01:26 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Gaskets, hoses, brake pads, brake disks are not covered under any warranty. theprice for the oil pan gasket is reasonable. i did it on mine and i tell you it was a biatch to do it. it's what 2 hours worth of work (hard work) plus 15 the gasket. as for the timing belt don't fall into their trap. it should be changed at 90-105k miles. i've had my car once in for a valve adjustament and they told me i had a leak in the timing belt housing and they would reccoment changing that if i never had it changed plus they told me the belt is in very bad shape. i got the car home and look at the belt and it looked fine, no cracks no nothing and no signs of oil (i told them not to change it). i higly reccomend the brake overhaul.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 02:36 PM   #3
accord98lx

How much did you bought the accord for?
Old 10-06-2002, 02:47 PM   #4
Digiti123

$12,593 including tax.
Old 10-06-2002, 02:54 PM   #5
accord98lx

Wowser you got yours for cheap. I bought an 98 accord lx 4 cyclinder with an odometer reading of about 48900. for 13K flat. I bought it from my local Ford Dealer. My uncle is the Vice President there and he said blue book value on the car is about 17K. Plus tax and everything is about 19k. He gave it to me 13k flat included tax and everything. And this was AFTER the discount. Yours cost as much as mine w/o the discount!
Old 10-06-2002, 06:29 PM   #6
Digiti123

Dear 98accordlx,
Have you had good luck with your car? When did you purchase it? Your odometer reading still is less than mine. Everything must be expensive in Hawaii vs. New York[ car prices, and repairs etc.]
Old 10-06-2002, 06:51 PM   #7
Digiti123

Please see attached copy of powertrain warranty particularly the line concerning oil pan gaskets and seals.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:08 PM   #8
Digiti123

Sorry I must have screwed up because my attachment did not go through for some reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg powertrain warranty.jpg (7.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-06-2002, 07:10 PM   #9
accord98lx

I purchased it on April 1st (April Fools day). The odometer reading is still under 50k. Yes everything in hawaii is expansive!! I guess it cost more cuz of its location.

And what do you mean have I got good luck with my car??
Old 10-06-2002, 07:20 PM   #10
Digiti123

I was inquiring whether you had any mechanical problems: leaks, vibrations noises etc.? Have you had any major of minor repair expenses since you got your car? Thanks.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:12 PM   #11
accord98lx

The only thing happened was my brakes pad worned out when I bought it and that cost me $140. Thats about it.

I had the ignigion failure problem but I had that repaired for free because that was a recall.

And the latest is my brake rotor warped because it seems I brake to hard. Bad driving habit I guess. Gonna cost me $300 for that. No leaks or anything. My dad just replaced my transmission fluid and changed the oil. Nothing major or serious.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:46 AM   #12
Digiti123

Today I called Honda Warranty Service and I was told that the oil pan gasket is covered under my certified used car warranty. Hallelulah!
Old 10-09-2002, 02:57 PM   #13
Digiti123

What do you guys think of Wagner brake pads vs. Honda oem pads? Thanks.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:06 PM   #14
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

never herad of them

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 03:11 PM   #15
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
never herad of them

Ditto

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 06:18 PM   #16
Digiti123

Well I took the car to the dealer today for the pan gasket leak. Guess what ? After having it all day they now say there is no leak! They evidently spayed cleaner all over the bottom of the engine[smells like wd 40]. and checked after the engine was hot.
In addition,they did an oil change for free because they gave me a coupon on Saturday. I was told to watch??? the possible leak and bring it back if it reappears!! They gave me a little static in the morning when dropped it off because I showed them the warranty card and contract. I may be suspicious ,but I think they would have done the original repair if there was no warranty. I think I can write off this dealer.