.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2004, 05:08 PM   #1
thermal
Banning Machine

my PC is crashed... hard!

Okay, so this is the second time my PC crashed and I'm really pissed off. I do not know what happen. The last time I remember doing was looking for parts on ebay and H-T. I have a Windows XPprofessional.

Here's what's up... or I should say, "what's down" :o:

I turn the computer on and it doesnt boot up all the way. It gets to the part where it makes the windows boot-up sound and shows the "welcome" with my wallpaper flashes for a few seconds.

Then it would go back on the screen where it says "welcome" where my first name appears. Basically a log-on.... but I've never set any type of password before anywhere in my computer since 4 months ago. I've attempted to enter the password anyway.

After entering the password, it would try shutting down my computer and make that windows shutting down sound but not actually shutdown the computer.

My buddy and I tried accesing the PC through the SAFE MODE. The first time it crashed, we were able to fix it through the SAFE MODE.... but not this time. Still does the same thing.

We also attempted to reload XP but it keeps asking for the administrator password that I, again, never set.

We were able to reload XP and enable command prompt. We still could not figure out what's up.....

I dont know what else to do. Is there any other way to fix this problem? My buddy looked around online and found out a few people have recently came across the same situation. Another guy at work has the same problem.

Will I be able to extract file from the primary hard drive through "my documents" and transfer file using command prompt? I just want to save a few items from the primary and go ahead reformat the whole hard drive and start from scratch again.

What do you think?

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:29 PM   #2
blind34_1

do you have an actual copy of xp to reformat with? if you do, try this:

boot to the xp cd
allow setup to run
go through the licenseing agreement and everything
and now you want to do a 'repair installation'.
DO NOT select 'install fresh copy' because that will wipe your drive

doing a repair installation will basically install overtop the existing install. It won't create a dual boot system (unless you select new install, which you don't want.)

this method saved my ass more than once!

go here for a pretty detailed explaination of how this works:
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:16 AM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

doesn't xp have a repair option too ? basically it will replace the whole OS files but leave the registry and the other programs almost intact.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 11:39 PM   #4
blind34_1

yes....i know what you're talking about, but don't remember how to invoke it, off the top of my head. hmm...off to google for me!

edit:
this is interesting, i've never done it, but manual replacement of certain files sometimes works. I've done that several times

http://www.digitalwebcast.com/2002/0...boot_toot2.htm

Last edited by blind34_1 : 10-07-2004 at 11:50 PM.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 02:58 PM   #5
Nelsmar
1st Gear

repair doesnt always work, ther eare two options fresh copy? and another? i cant remmeber if you do one... i think upgrade. itl just upgrade your os to current version even though it is current version. updates all system files and puts back to standard settings. leaving all your programs still installed.... all your icons files etc. i do that when someone screws up one of my computers... about to do it to my laptop, fun project see ... its cd drive runs off firewire(its a cradle) and it doesnt work... laptop wont read cd's if its used with firewire/usb no more... some bios thing with nero and it ruined it and i never sent in for service.
so i have to find a creative way to isntall windows, my friend had an idea .... about 410 floppys : P
if you wana mail it to me i can fix it
Nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote