.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2004, 05:17 PM   #1
CD5Passion

New Gamer

Ok I just started getting into gaming. Just bought Batlefield 1942 and I love it, I used to play it at a friends house a while ago. but I have a problem whenever I play online and it gets into enviroments with lots of buildings (therefore a lot more graphics) it begins to lag like no tomorow.

I used a ibook with a 1ghz g4 processor and 512 ram so I have no problem meeting the spec requiremnets. the only thing I can think might be slowing me down is the graphics card which is a Radeon Mobility 9200 with 32mb of SDDRam.
I'm not a computer buff so I don't know if this is the problem.

also I've been looking and I cant seem to find any where that sells any of the ATi Radeon Mobility products. so if anyone can help me out
Old 08-19-2004, 05:42 PM   #2
Violent Apathy

Yeah a 32MB graphics card will hurt ya, i got one in my comp too. I wanna upgrade it but can't, damn laptop.

But for you, it's probably cause you're using a shitty mac.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Violent Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 06:07 PM   #3
CD5Passion

haha or an incredible mac that cost $2.2k the thing flies on everything but the gaming...actually Warcraft 3 is just fine.

so you're telling me you cant upgrade a laptop's videocard?

also anyone else around here still play Battlefield 1942 cause if ya do we should play sometimes, I'll showyou some sniper skills
Old 08-19-2004, 06:47 PM   #4
Violent Apathy

Guess I'll hafta reinstall battlefield sometime.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Old 08-19-2004, 06:52 PM   #5
Violent Apathy

Oh shit i almost forgot. As far as Battlefield 1942 goes, turn down the quality on your sound settings, it helps massively with that game. Works even better than turning down the graphics settings heh. I had the same problem with it lagging, so i turned my graphics to the lowest setting and still had the same problem, i turned down the sound quality settings and now i can play lag free with graphics at the highest settings heh,

Old 08-19-2004, 07:54 PM   #6
CD5Passion

really, well I'll have to try at that when I get home, but yeah man reinstall that game and we can kick some virtual ass lol

I know according to Apple.com I have the optimal laptop for playing games because of the highest amount of memory and what not possible, just that they only throw a 32mb card in there..what were they thinking?
Old 08-20-2004, 12:25 PM   #7
FlooredAccord
2nd Gear

If you can play the game okay without being online, i'e: good sound and relatively smooth frame rate, it is your internet connection. Depending what you have for broadband really is the deciding factor for qualitywise gaming. Follow Violents intructions for turning down the quality of the game. If that doesn't work, post again and I'll show you how to tweak your video card.

What are you gonna do? Sick your dogs on me? Or your bees? Or dogs with bees in their mouth so when they bark they shoot bees at me?
-Homer Simpson
FlooredAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:48 PM   #8
CD5Passion

well i think it may be my connection because when I play on campaign single player the frame rate is great even with sound quality and video quality at max. and its only when a bunch of players are in the same area that the frame rate goes to shit.

I'm gonna hook it up to my landline to see if the framerate improves because I use a wireless connection via the Mac Airport. I get connection problems warnings from time to time.
also for those who know..what the hell is a PING?
Old 08-20-2004, 02:06 PM   #9
Violent Apathy

Yeah I run on a wireless connection too, though mine works pretty well, and the lower your ping, the better your connection to the server.

Old 08-20-2004, 02:47 PM   #10
CD5Passion

ahhhhhhh gotcha, cause I always have a high ping haha. but yeah I'm gonna try the landline thing to see if that betters the connection...whenever i get off work....:o
Old 08-20-2004, 03:40 PM   #11
Violent Apathy

Ok I reinstalled it, damn i forgot how much fun this game was heh.

Old 08-20-2004, 04:09 PM   #12
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Shardsofxapril
ahhhhhhh gotcha, cause I always have a high ping haha. but yeah I'm gonna try the landline thing to see if that betters the connection...whenever i get off work....:o

Yeah...a ping is just the amount of time it takes your computer to send a signal to a given server and for the server to bounce it back to you. Anything over 3-4 seconds and you're screwed...at least in my experience. Then again I'm not a gamer.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 06:35 PM   #13
CD5Passion

next time you go to play dude hit me up on AIM and we can go do some damage
Old 08-27-2004, 09:28 AM   #14
vtracer20

if u paid 2.2k for a computer u got ripped off...i make my computer and it costs around 600-800. A 32vic card for battlefield 1942 is shitty. i'm using a 128mb g-force 5200 and it flyies...it's not the high end one but it still is stable and graphically nice through-out the game...i would just recommend get a cheaper 128 or 256 vid card....another problem with older computers is the 8x/4x/2x speeds that vid cards use. the 8x being the best and now their coming out with 12x speeds but for taht u gotta spend alot on the motherboard. If u have a cd/dvd/cdrw drive, harddrive, 300 or more watt power supply and ram u can upgrade just ur motherboard and have a pretty sweet system for under 250. That waht i usually do...i gotta upgrade my motherboard and get a faster processor. My vid card runs at 4x and my vidcard supports 8x so i'm not getting full potential out of my card. Ram and vid card are a MUST in gaming application that one things u gotta start with a 32mb vid card just wont work well with the amount of graphics needed for some of the latest games out now.

I just started to play doom3 and my comp cant keep up. my friends comp that pretty much is a sweet ass machine just barely can keep up with the amount of graphiccs on that game. It's all about how u spend u money. a person can spend 4g's on a well known companies computer, but a more knowledgable person will read and actually build their computer. u probably wouldn't spend more than 1/2 of what the company would charge u .
Old 08-27-2004, 02:27 PM   #15
pbateson

I run Doom 3 and it is fine. I will upgrade the new motherboard next year.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:44 PM   #16
FlooredAccord
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by vtracer20
It's all about how u spend u money. a person can spend 4g's on a well known companies computer, but a more knowledgable person will read and actually build their computer. u probably wouldn't spend more than 1/2 of what the company would charge u .

You're right! I build computers for a living, and I have to say each year I build the best computer possible for less than half the price you would pay for a brand name computer. Plus mine work faster and have less advertisements. Way to be a bargain shopper VT!

What are you gonna do? Sick your dogs on me? Or your bees? Or dogs with bees in their mouth so when they bark they shoot bees at me?
-Homer Simpson
FlooredAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 01:21 AM   #17
CD5Passion

well this machine is fantastic for everything but gaming, obviously wasnt made for it but it gets by. but like I said this thing is a speed demon on everything else. it has all the upgraded parts that fit in this platform of Mac and I love it. plus I like the user interface much more than a Windows
oh need I mention the less likelyhood of this mac contracting viruses?
havent had a worry about adware or the like.