::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2004, 01:52 AM   #1
ewaugh

going to get a civic

I'm coming from a 93 Volvo 850 GLT, 170hp stock, and possibly going to a 91 civic si. The si has 155K and 1600 on the engine (non-vtec). The car will be a daily and a autox car.

The 3rd gear syncros in the volvo are shot, along with a few other things and it would be expensive to replace everything, so I'm looking to replace it eventually, knowing that I won't get a whole lot for it.

The civic has the a new non-vtec engine, koni adj's on stock springs, a short shift kit, K&N drop in, light 14's, and exhust. I drove it and like the handling as far as I can tell (it was wet so I couldn't push). The shop pulled the tranny and checked everything while they were in there and it all looked good, and felt good. The only thing is that there is a speed related rumble from the rear, my guess is just tires, the hubs didn't have any play in them. There is one other thing, the a/c isn't cold (I'm in the south), and I don't know if it just needs a rechatge or something more. We're going to take it by...probably tues. and get a once-over just to see.

Opinions on modle year and other such things?
ewaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 02:45 AM   #2
IALuder

wow your losing a lot of power. personally i think i would just fixed the vovlo. the civic however, are really good project cars due to low prices for mods. but i will suggest that you do an engine swap. so you got less miles on the motor and more power stock.

but good luck with what ever you decided to do. and i take it this civic is a hatch? which is a Big Plus. i love hatchbacks.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 01:37 PM   #3
ewaugh

the engine's only got 1600 on it now, and the volvo's about 1500lbs heavier, so i don't know that the volvo is any faster. Granted I had killed a few civic ricers in it
Old 06-27-2004, 01:50 PM   #4
IALuder

the civic has 16 hundred miles only. DAYUM thats like brand spankin new. good luck!

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 06:36 PM   #5
95DX
2nd Gear

before you buy it have the shakyness checked out first as well as have them makes sure theres nothing wrong with the a/c though its probably just needing a recharge
95DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 07:39 PM   #6
ewaugh

The reason I think it's just tires is that the hubs feel fine (no play) and I'm not getting any kind of vibration, it's just noise.

Just out of curiosity, how hard is it do a VTEC conv.? From reading on here it sounds like you don't have to always drop a new engine in. I don't know which engine is in it now, which doens't help any.

I've been throwing things around in my head and I think that I'm going to get some slicks for the 14's and keep those a autox wheels and get some 15's or 16's with a V rated tire for the street to give me a better top end.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:33 PM   #7
AkimboStylee

vtec is not worth it, i have have driven a civic with both (same car, before had a d16a6, and now has a vtec d series, cant remember, and it is my car) it is also an 89 hatch, love it death, and have been close to death many times. spend money else where, you will recieve gains from just about any add-on you throw on there, and can still pay less for it than adding vtec. oh and you said that your a/c is not cold, that can be a good thing, cause in 88 -now, all civics have been r-134, insterad of the expensive r-12(which hard to get your hands on btw)

v rated tires wont give you a better top end

you are from the south, the south is a pretty big place, where at exactly?
Old 06-29-2004, 04:36 PM   #8
drdingo21

what happened to the orginal motor? What motor is in the civic now?

And you will be able to tell a HUGE differnce between the two.
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:38 PM   #9
drdingo21

also, how much are you paying for it?
Old 06-29-2004, 06:35 PM   #10
AkimboStylee

i couldn't tell a difference, i guess i would have if i pushed it a little harder
Old 06-29-2004, 08:01 PM   #11
ewaugh

V rated tires won't give me a better top end, but a bigger wheel will change the final drive.

I'm not sure which engine is in it, but the owner's real anal about either keeping it orginal or upgrading, so I'd imagine he put the same thing back in, but I still don't know what is in it. 4 cylinder 16 valve, not that that helps any.

I don't understand what you mean about the a/c krw.

He's asking 3 grand, it's a 91 with a new engine, knoi's, exhust, short shift, K&N drop in (got to stay in stock class), wheels.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:07 PM   #12
drdingo21

Well stock the motor came with a d16a6, the motor makes 108 hp. So you will most defnitly get a ticket for obstructing traffic when you try to merge onto the highway.

Ill be doing a project car in a little bit, and at first i was going to do a 98+ civic hatch, but now im also eyeing a 240sx... That was my first ever car and it was a decent little car... I can only imange a 400+ hp RWD 2200 lbs 240sx.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:09 PM   #13
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by ewaugh
The reason I think it's just tires is that the hubs feel fine (no play) and I'm not getting any kind of vibration, it's just noise.

Just out of curiosity, how hard is it do a VTEC conv.? From reading on here it sounds like you don't have to always drop a new engine in. I don't know which engine is in it now, which doens't help any.

I've been throwing things around in my head and I think that I'm going to get some slicks for the 14's and keep those a autox wheels and get some 15's or 16's with a V rated tire for the street to give me a better top end.

U dont want VTEC for an auto-x car. U are planning on SCCA right? I did it for two years. One thing to take note is no one runs a VTEC engine. The reason why is there is no advantage in it. It adds more weight to an engine up top (right where u dont need it), and VTEC (on stock engagement) comes on too hard. U drive a 1900 pound D16Z6 hatchback auto-x car like mine was, and u will understand that VTEC comes on at all the wrong times!! Ugghh nothing like plowing thru cones cuz your spinning both front tires! Most people run the ZC's for your year of Civic. Another good choice would be the B18B with an ITR tranny. Autocrossing is all about suspension, tires and tuning and very little about power. The secret to getting good power, and torque out of the corners is getting a steeper geared tranny, and running shorter (but wider) tires. Like 13" rims with 225+ tire width. Gearing as everyone knows is a torque multiplier. It will help u more than any engine mod ever will. As far as competition goes your Civic is a very light and very very good choice to run STS with a few mods, and dont forget u can also run ITA!

QUOTE]Originally posted by drdingo21
Well stock the motor came with a d16a6, the motor makes 108 hp. So you will most defnitly get a ticket for obstructing traffic when you try to merge onto the highway.

Ill be doing a project car in a little bit, and at first i was going to do a 98+ civic hatch, but now im also eyeing a 240sx... That was my first ever car and it was a decent little car... I can only imange a 400+ hp RWD 2200 lbs 240sx.
[/quote]

umm sorry but your 240 SX doesnt even weigh anything close to 2200 pounds!!! Way off. Try closer to like 2700 pounds+. Remember u have a cast iron block with an aluminum head. A Nissian truck engine to be exact, not exactly the lightest thing in the world. My stock 1992 Civic CX hatchback was was barely under 2200 pounds from the factory! Ohh btw I hope u dont plan on to try to get 400 horsepower out of the factory 2.4L nissian truck engine. I figured u should know they tend to crack the block at around 250 WHP.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:02 PM   #14
ewaugh

yeah, it's got a short shift kit so it's technically a CSP car, but I won't be beating anyone my first time out so they'd probably let me run HS, I thind it's HS anyway, maybd FS, I need to look again.

We got the car inspected and here's the list:

RR wheel bent
LR wheel slow leak (getting new tires anyway)
R side axle seal leaking
Fault in A/C...seals maybe, they weren't sure but there's no refigerent.

He never could figure out what the noise was (the bent wheel) and it is pretty loud, but the tires flat spotted too so I don't know how much is one. He's the second owner, and it make some noise since he got it, so it was the previous owner that did that. Eventually I'm going to take the Fitapaliti's that are on it (14's) and make those autox wheels with a little bigger wheel for street use, that way I can run better tires too, so I'm not going to worry about the wheel.

I think that engine has more power that 108, sure it's light but it will outrun my (although heavy and long gears) Volvo with 170hp, and the n/a mini cooper.

Got to go to the bank
Old 07-01-2004, 02:58 PM   #15
Honda_Tengoku

for an auto-x car I would remove the AC. I believe the car is classified in HS if u want to run that class (think so need to get out my rule book but I am lazy).

I competed in STS my first year with my anemic 70 HP engine and was able to finish about 2-4 place in a 10-15 car field. All of this was on suspension upgrades alone! I dropped the car weight down to 1960 pounds, and strapped in my D16Z6, increased spring rates to 500F/400R and I was off. At the track she turned 14.8 @ 94 MPH on Z rated street tires and competed competatively in SM for a year b4 I moved. I had a great time and learned alot. Go for it man! Just make sure u get a good deal on the car considering what is wrong with it! Good luck.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:45 PM   #16
ewaugh

Your in England, I'm in the SE part of the USA, it is usually anywhere from 80-98 degrees F (26-36 C), a/c comes in handy sometimes.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:18 PM   #17
drdingo21

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_Tengoku
U dont want VTEC for an auto-x car. U are planning on SCCA right? I did it for two years. One thing to take note is no one runs a VTEC engine. The reason why is there is no advantage in it. It adds more weight to an engine up top (right where u dont need it), and VTEC (on stock engagement) comes on too hard. U drive a 1900 pound D16Z6 hatchback auto-x car like mine was, and u will understand that VTEC comes on at all the wrong times!! Ugghh nothing like plowing thru cones cuz your spinning both front tires! Most people run the ZC's for your year of Civic. Another good choice would be the B18B with an ITR tranny. Autocrossing is all about suspension, tires and tuning and very little about power. The secret to getting good power, and torque out of the corners is getting a steeper geared tranny, and running shorter (but wider) tires. Like 13" rims with 225+ tire width. Gearing as everyone knows is a torque multiplier. It will help u more than any engine mod ever will. As far as competition goes your Civic is a very light and very very good choice to run STS with a few mods, and dont forget u can also run ITA!

QUOTE]Originally posted by drdingo21

Quote:
umm sorry but your 240 SX doesnt even weigh anything close to 2200 pounds!!! Way off. Try closer to like 2700 pounds+. Remember u have a cast iron block with an aluminum head. A Nissian truck engine to be exact, not exactly the lightest thing in the world. My stock 1992 Civic CX hatchback was was barely under 2200 pounds from the factory! Ohh btw I hope u dont plan on to try to get 400 horsepower out of the factory 2.4L nissian truck engine. I figured u should know they tend to crack the block at around 250 WHP.
I guess i didn't elabrate enough. I didn't plan keeping anything stock. A stripped 240sx will weight around 2200, and no the motor would not be a stock.

I figured people would pick that up when i said it would be a project car.... Just like i wouldn't keep the stock civic engine...
Old 07-02-2004, 06:11 AM   #18
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by drdingo21
I guess i didn't elabrate enough. I didn't plan keeping anything stock. A stripped 240sx will weight around 2200, and no the motor would not be a stock.

I figured people would pick that up when i said it would be a project car.... Just like i wouldn't keep the stock civic engine...

How does saying a "project car" have to do anything with severe weight reduction? I mean to reach that weight your car will be totally stripped (interior, stereo, seats, heat sheilds splash guards, etc). There is no correlation between the two in my opinion. Ohh yeah btw some people do keep the stock "Civic engine". It all depends on what u want. Remember I cant (nor anyone else) read mind over the internet. I just didnt want to see u disapointed in the weight and the power output of that POS K24 engine thats in those cars. I realize now u have got a plan. Sounds like the SR20DET swap in mind. Sounds like alot of fun! Good luck!

Quote:
Originally posted by ewaugh
Your in England, I'm in the SE part of the USA, it is usually anywhere from 80-98 degrees F (26-36 C), a/c comes in handy sometimes.

Umm well I dont autocross in England. Brits dont even know what that is. I autocrossed in Lousiana. I was stationed there for 4.5 years. I never once had a car that had a working A/C. My daily driver autocross D16Z Civic had the A/C removed. It wasnt that big of a deal to me. Just wear shorts, and a short sleeve shirt, roll down both windows and haul ass. Or 280 A/C as lots of people like to call it. just my .2 cents though.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:08 AM   #19
drdingo21

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_Tengoku
How does saying a "project car" have to do anything with severe weight reduction? I mean to reach that weight your car will be totally stripped (interior, stereo, seats, heat sheilds splash guards, etc). There is no correlation between the two in my opinion. Ohh yeah btw some people do keep the stock "Civic engine". It all depends on what u want. Remember I cant (nor anyone else) read mind over the internet. I just didnt want to see u disapointed in the weight and the power output of that POS K24 engine thats in those cars. I realize now u have got a plan. Sounds like the SR20DET swap in mind. Sounds like alot of fun! Good luck!

Umm well I dont autocross in England. Brits dont even know what that is. I autocrossed in Lousiana. I was stationed there for 4.5 years. I never once had a car that had a working A/C. My daily driver autocross D16Z Civic had the A/C removed. It wasnt that big of a deal to me. Just wear shorts, and a short sleeve shirt, roll down both windows and haul ass. Or 280 A/C as lots of people like to call it. just my .2 cents though.
I understand it will have to be stripped. By project car, something that would be totally worked. In my mind thats what a project car is not much left stock. Sorry, thats what i ment by it.