::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2002, 09:59 PM   #1
Sponjah

Spark Plugs

I was wondering is a stock DX civic engine would benefit hp/gas mileage by installing Denso Iridium Spark Plugs or another spark plug like that.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:16 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

If it does, it is a very slight gain. I've used stock (good), Denso iridium (also good), and bosch plat +4 (bad).

Denso is great if you have money to burn, otherwise stay with the stock NGK plugs.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 10:29 PM   #3
blind34_1

the bosch platinum +4's are bad? really? I'm using the plat +2, and they made my engine run so much quieter and smoother. it purred after I put them in. I haven't dynoed em, so I could be wrong
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 11:32 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

I had the iridiums for a few weeks and they really arent worth it at all I think. I sold them to a friend for what I paid so no loss to me. The stock ones are just fine if you ask me...save your money for something else. Maybe after you upgrade the ignition and wires and lots of other electrical then MAYBE the iridiums would be ok...maybe
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 12:28 AM   #5
ShEaNy

i have NGK's to put in with 9mm wires...i heard from other people that they got good gas milage and a little performance..
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 10:19 AM   #6
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

NGK V Power all the way....I wouldn;t say iridium unles you have like NOS or TC/SC something along those lines..but good luck in your purchase..
Old 11-20-2002, 12:38 PM   #7
nonovurbizniz

if you have the stock internal coil it don't matter what kind of wire or plugs you have. the coil sucks so bad (especially with some miles on it.) that it's the hold up not the plugs or wires.

if you upgrade the coil to an external type. then you might get a little more help from the plugs but nothing significant.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:00 PM   #8
blind34_1

I won some free dyno time at the local shop. I'll see if they'll let me switch out spark plugs and see if there is measurable difference. as some as I get my car working correctly again that is.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:09 PM   #9
NAPALMsunrise

ok my question to u guys is how do i inspect spark plugs... i think im firing on three pistons becuase my HP has gone to shit lately.... i dont know how to pull them out or anything to check them andhow to know if it is blown to bits....please help thanks
Old 06-10-2004, 06:23 PM   #10
sicones

I run an external coil, ignition, wires and nitrous and use just fresh stock spark plugs (ngk v power), I had the zex spark plugs and they also suck after about 5k miles they my car stalled every stop sign and red light change the plugs and the car was much smoother and it never stalled again
sicones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 06:29 PM   #11
sicones

you need a 5/8" spark plug socket and an extension to get down there, then tourqe the new ones to about 15lb-ft or two-thirds of a turn after it contacts the the cylinder head.
sicones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 10:30 AM   #12
pdiggitydogg

I use a 16mm (i think thats what it was...) deep socket to loosen them and a bent coat hanger to pull the plugs

Quote:
GHETTO
But it works fine for me
Old 06-11-2004, 11:28 AM   #13
NAPALMsunrise

Im also going to look for how-to step by step picture things on the web cuz i know ill fuck it up unless I can see it LOL... thanks for the input guys
Old 06-11-2004, 11:35 AM   #14
pdiggitydogg

unplug wires
stick a socket down there (w/ long extension...duh) and undo/remove them
put the new ones in...tighten them to spec (15-18ft/lbs 2x)
replace wires

The hardest part is making sure that they're gapped correctly...and even that is not hard as long as you have a gapping coin
Old 06-11-2004, 10:51 PM   #15
thermal
Banning Machine

I will never use anything other than NGK's.

You'll know if one of your cylinder is not firing. You will have an erratic or up and down RPM....especially on idle....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 11:49 AM   #16
NAPALMsunrise

hMMM i dont have an up or down rpm when idle.... well sometimes i do, but it is like 1 time when it gets cold outside a year... but that i think might be norm. I do notice though when im "punching it" or racing someone that second gear is all sorts os shitty at 4000+ rpm. That use to be my best gear but now third gear is and even that gets shitty after about 5000. By shitty I mean it feels like rocks are going through my engine. I can feel it in the gas pedal, and I notice it in the acceleration of the car... just has that feeling of slowing down i guess i dont know how to explain it.... if that makes sence?¿ I dont know.... im just affraid to take it to the dealer and have them tell me what the problem is and then "fix it" and have it feel the same way! I am just going to pin point the HP issue somehow Im still going to check them sparky plugs and probably just change them out anyways... 120,000 miles seems to be a good time to do it at
Old 06-13-2004, 09:57 AM   #17
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well i used a lot of plugs changed and the best were the vpower and champion copper core ones. also under $1 a plug too

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 10:07 AM   #18
pdiggitydogg

Quote:
Originally posted by NAPALMsunrise
I do notice though when im "punching it" or racing someone

street racing is stupid
Old 06-13-2004, 07:49 PM   #19
JDMFantasy2k

(he didn't specifically say it was on the street)
Old 06-13-2004, 07:52 PM   #20
pdiggitydogg

how much do you want to bet
Old 06-14-2004, 01:31 PM   #21
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by blind34_1
the bosch platinum +4's are bad? really? I'm using the plat +2, and they made my engine run so much quieter and smoother. it purred after I put them in. I haven't dynoed em, so I could be wrong

platinium plugs are garbage! They are not as good as conductor as a copper plug! They are not designed for more power. Just longer useage. I run on Champion 99 cent copper plugs and stomp SRT-4 Neons all day long by 4-5 car lengths on just an I/e and Spoon chipped ECU.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:56 PM   #22
NAPALMsunrise

Hey when street racing feels like Laguna Seca...(country roads that twist and turn) at 3 in the morning.... i think it is fun, not stupid HEHE Anyways............Im going to change my battery and plugs.. maybe it will help considering my battery is only pushing 70 amperes or whatever... i was told it should be at 400 so i think that might need changed
Old 06-14-2004, 02:37 PM   #23
pdiggitydogg

Oh look....PDiggs was right (psh...when am I wrong? )
Like I said...street racing is stupid.
Lets keep in on the tracks where you and others arent in danger.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:53 PM   #24
JDMFantasy2k

wow at least pdigs isn't concieted or anything haha, yeah i believe there' s a time and place for everything but we all have our own opinions so let's go whore up the kill's section instead of here ....
Old 06-15-2004, 02:08 PM   #25
NAPALMsunrise

rGr that, and yes im prior military so I say roger (rGr) all the time..... please dont get annoyed with it
Old 06-16-2004, 01:29 AM   #26
Kool-Aid

I forgot what spark plugs I had put in ( just yesterday)...I think they are Bosch standard ones...but the only thing that seems to get my horse power is when I have the A/C on...feels like it will quit unless I let off the accelerator...but when I turn off the A/C...my take-off is much better...
Old 06-19-2004, 11:47 AM   #27
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
Oh look....PDiggs was right (psh...when am I wrong? )
Like I said...street racing is stupid.
Lets keep in on the tracks where you and others arent in danger.

I hope u werent refering to my comment? As far as street racing goes, doing things like they did in "fast and the Furious" is just stupid. I totally agree. Also u said that "Lets keep in on the tracks where you and others arent in danger". Its not dangerous? I have a friend that has a titanium pin in his hip and his knee from reconstructive surgery when he wrecked his drag car at 160+ MPH at the track! Tell me again its not dangerous. Dont get me wrong I think its retarded with stupid little ricers darting in and out of traffic and racing on busy freeways (idiots). People like that give us true import enthusiasts a bad name, and make us targets for cops, but with that in mind, I dont see the problem with going out in the middle of nowhere (not putting anyone else in danger), on some old straight road, and blasting a few runs out against a friend or something. Just my two cents....
Old 06-19-2004, 12:35 PM   #28
pdiggitydogg

Nope
Quote:
Originally posted by JDMFantasy2k
(he didn't specifically say it was on the street)

That one

No racing is safe...part of the game. But what I mean about "arent in danger" is that at tracks there is trained emergency crews to assist....nothing but you and opponent on the streets. And if you wreck or hit someone else, what are the chances your opponent are going to stick around and help (especially if you dont know em).
Old 06-20-2004, 01:04 AM   #29
bent_remy

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_Tengoku
I hope u werent refering to my comment? As far as street racing goes, doing things like they did in "fast and the Furious" is just stupid. I totally agree. Also u said that "Lets keep in on the tracks where you and others arent in danger". Its not dangerous? I have a friend that has a titanium pin in his hip and his knee from reconstructive surgery when he wrecked his drag car at 160+ MPH at the track! Tell me again its not dangerous. Dont get me wrong I think its retarded with stupid little ricers darting in and out of traffic and racing on busy freeways (idiots). People like that give us true import enthusiasts a bad name, and make us targets for cops, but with that in mind, I dont see the problem with going out in the middle of nowhere (not putting anyone else in danger), on some old straight road, and blasting a few runs out against a friend or something. Just my two cents....

I don't know what to say. I agree with you and p-dog. I've done it on busy highways when i was younger and raced on hunts point. we don't have any track where I live. ( I can't race at englishtown cuz right now I don't have a licence.) I...... Don't... Well...........
Old 06-20-2004, 08:55 AM   #30
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
Nope

That one

No racing is safe...part of the game. But what I mean about "arent in danger" is that at tracks there is trained emergency crews to assist....nothing but you and opponent on the streets. And if you wreck or hit someone else, what are the chances your opponent are going to stick around and help (especially if you dont know em).

U have a good point there. Unfortunately thats not all tracks. Some tracks dont have an emergency team on site, on "Run what u Brung" days. I know atleast at the track I race at here doesnt. They may be on standby, but definately not there. So it shouldnt be any different calling a hospital no matter where u are. But if your an individual that is willing to take the chance (and dont endanger anyone else) then its up to u. Not to mention I think driving in rush hour traffic in London (and prolly some other large cities in the US) is more dangerous than an open road run out in the middle of nowhere. I have driven in both and can tell u that first hand. So the levels of danger here i believe are a bit over exaggerated. I mean when u take a road trip most people travel 70-90 MPH on the interstate for long periods of time, possibly hours on end in traffic. How is that not dangerous and accepted? While people that go out in the middle of nowhere sprint up to 110 and quickly back down to a stop lasting a whole 15 seconds or less. Not to mention when I have done an occasional sprint down a road out in the middle of nowhere I have always had friends around. So if something does happen then I do have friends around to help. Dont get me wrong I dont do it very often at all (once in a great while); personally I preffer going to the track and seeing that nice LED sign light up with my time (not to mention its legal). Just my two cents pdiggs. I respect your opinion as always though.