::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2006, 01:22 AM   #1
Mischief

movies

anyone see any good movies lately that I should "purchase"?

http://mensalmanac.com
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:26 AM   #2
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I've been watching tons of asian shit recently and hope to do so again once ADC gets back up and running. Some of the better ones so far:

Shadowless Sword
Fearless (the new Jet Li movie...not the shitty Jeff Daniels movie)
My Kung Fu Sweetheart (not nearly as lame as it sounds)
Out Of The Dark
Fist Of Legend (the '91 Stephen Chow movie...although the Bruce Lee movie isn't too shabby either)

All of those flicks are top notch. Just ask Arnel...he's seen most of them. The movie Brick was ridiculously good...and that's American. I watched 16 Blocks the other day...couldn't have been more disappointed. It wasn't bad...it was just so damn mediocre. I've got The Omen on my hard drive...but I'm weighing whether or not I actually wanna watch it. Maybe you can browse The Pirate Bay now that it's back up. I haven't looked there in a while. Oh...and Room 6 was actually a really original U.S. horror flick which is rare these days.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:02 AM   #3
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Date Movie was goofey..
Hostel was good but gorey as hell..
The Ringer was funny...
Old 06-13-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
dabouncerx24

Shinobi!!!
X3 (though I'm pretty sure you've watched it)...even though it sucked for the series, it's still one of the better ones in theaters lately (wait for the surprise ending).

(Fearless sucked...at least not up to par with the 186 other early 20th century martial art-chinese-ain't-inferior-to-other-races-shit by Jet)
dabouncerx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabouncerx24
Shinobi!!!
X3 (though I'm pretty sure you've watched it)...even though it sucked for the series, it's still one of the better ones in theaters lately (wait for the surprise ending).

(Fearless sucked...at least not up to par with the 186 other early 20th century martial art-chinese-ain't-inferior-to-other-races-shit by Jet)

Oh I sooooo gotta disagree. I thought Fearless was right up there with Fist Of Legend. At any rate I thought it was better than the Fong Sai Yuk trilogy or any of the Once Upon A Time In China movies.

And Jeremy...Hostel....really? I thought that was the worst movie since the invention of film. Ok...well...maybe not, but man did it suck.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 06-13-2006, 04:48 PM   #6
thermal
Banning Machine

Ahhhh... I watch pretty much what Steve recommends. His Asian flick collection is unmatched.

Shinobi was awesome, although I wish they included all the characters described on the animation series: Basilisk, kouga nimpu

Fearless, is one of Jet Li's 3 top movies in my book

Shadowless Sword, is hands down just a bad ass flick. This goes to show you that Korean flicks are just as amazing as the Japaenese and Chinese.... visual effect wise....

Azumi, another Japanese movie that I enjoyed. Action is decent but the JDM chick that was on it is just beau-tear-ful

Arahan, Korean flick. Funny and the same girl on Shadowless Sword.

Kung Fu Sweetheart, I fell in love with Cecilia Cheung.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:39 PM   #7
dabouncerx24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT40FIED
At any rate I thought it was better than the Fong Sai Yuk trilogy or any of the Once Upon A Time In China movies.

You actually watched all of those? What a surprise for me, good for you man! First white guy that I know of to have watched ancient chinese movies like those...
What about all those old comedies by Steven Chow? There should be at least 30 of them, those are awesome.

Cecilia is one fine chick....(sans the duck-voice)..and those Koreans are sure catching up in recent years in terms of the entertainment industry (probably started with BoA).
Old 06-13-2006, 09:00 PM   #8
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
You actually watched all of those? What a surprise for me, good for you man! First white guy that I know of to have watched ancient chinese movies like those...
What about all those old comedies by Steven Chow? There should be at least 30 of them, those are awesome.

Cecilia is one fine chick....(sans the duck-voice)..and those Koreans are sure catching up in recent years in terms of the entertainment industry (probably started with BoA).

Haha...yeah, I'm the semi-well cultured white boy. At least as far as asian stuff goes. I've pretty much watched all of Jet Li's movies...even The Evil Cult which was by far the weirdest. Hell...I sat through The Master...argueably his worst. Besides, most of the really good kung fu/martial arts stuff is done in period piece style anyway (with the exception of some of the stuff the Thais have put out lately).

I'm a huge Stephen Chow fan. Two of the flicks I listed there are his...Out Of The Dark and the '91 version of Fist Of Legend. I really need to watch God Of Cookery once I can find a download. Shaolin Idiot was pretty good too. Out Of The Dark is seriously laugh-out-loud hilarious. That's why I liked My Kung Fu Sweetheart so much, I think. It's got a lot of that style of humor with some pretty decent martial arts. And you're right...Cecilia is so damn hot. I even think her voice is sexy. Plus she actually sang a song for the movie and she's got a really good singing voice.

I think it's funny to watch the change in asian stuff (especially HK cinema) from the 80's and 90's until right around 2000. All of the early stuff is really grainy and has really aweful texture, not to mention some pretty bad sub translations (just look at any of the Young And Dangerous movies or even the first Infernal Affairs...I haven't seen the others). Then along came movies like Hero and whatnot where the quality was flat out amazing and the subs were top notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal
Azumi, another Japanese movie that I enjoyed. Action is decent but the JDM chick that was on it is just beau-tear-ful

Arahan, Korean flick. Funny and the same girl on Shadowless Sword.

Forgot about those two. That chick from Azumi is just so fucking hot. Any chick that runs around with a short skirt and a sword ruining people's shit is marriage material in my book. The movie was a bit long but it was still slightly better than Azumi 2. You know they made an HK Cat. III film based on that movie? Same basic idea...a lot less clothes (and less attractive actors from the look of it). Arahan was pretty decent. I think I only watched it once...maybe twice.

Last edited by GT40FIED : 06-13-2006 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #9
dabouncerx24

^ Speaking of asian chicks running around chasing people with swords, theres a Chinese comedy with Cecilia doing that (no skirt though). They were trying to imitate Kill Bill with that sexy tight-fit yellow suit thing...goddam...

I have no idea what those movies were about because I usually read the chinese titles on the cover and not the tiny english title line beneath it, but I'm 96% I've seen what you were talking about
Old 06-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #10
IALuder

ong bak i rewatch that and gad damn. do not fuck with his elephant.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:26 PM   #11
thermal
Banning Machine

That is Tom Yum Goong.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-13-2006, 11:31 PM   #12
IALuder

it won best fight scene from me for ever

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:51 AM   #13
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
And Jeremy...Hostel....really? I thought that was the worst movie since the invention of film. Ok...well...maybe not, but man did it suck.

I have strange taste in movies.. I dunno. I always like stuff that no one else does.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:55 AM   #14
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

So I just sat down to watch Shinobi and I gotta say...the Japanese don't do period martial arts stuff nearly as well as the Chinese. The story was really strong, although it kind of reminded me of Azumi. The biggest problem for me was the SFX. I can handle wirework kung fu. I can handle regular kung fu. I cannot, however, handle super fu...where people have ridiculous powers that only exist in the world of CGI. Ok...the chick with the eye thing was pretty cool...even if they did only show it once. But that was really it. People jumping lightning fast from tree to tree got annoying. So...in summation...an exceptionally strong story combined with overused effects makes for a decent but not stellar movie.

Just ask Arnel about how much I hated "The Legend Of Zu" entirely because it relied on ridiculously overused special effects for the entire film (yes, I realize it was a blue screen movie, but it still overused the effects). Seriously...I turned it off a little over an hour through just because it pissed me off that much.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:09 AM   #15
thermal
Banning Machine

If you remember that movie Casshern....... that one was too much for me.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-15-2006, 09:15 AM   #16
Robert
R-Tard

Munich. Watched it last night, I truly enjoyed it. Very well done, runs long; I believe about 2.5 hours.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:00 PM   #17
dabouncerx24

Quote:

Totally agreed.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #18
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:

Wait...you liked Zu, but thought Casshern was too much? You really are one crazy Pinoy. I thought both were way too visually intense, but I kinda liked Casshern at least. 2046 was the same way.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:14 PM   #19
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Wait...you liked Zu, but thought Casshern was too much? You really are one crazy Pinoy. I thought both were way too visually intense, but I kinda liked Casshern at least. 2046 was the same way.
2046? Is that another movie you forgot to tell me Steve? Hook yo asian brotha' up....

Legen of Zu has more fights. Plus Cecilia Cheung.... my future wife..... is there

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-16-2006, 12:32 AM   #20
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
2046? Is that another movie you forgot to tell me Steve? Hook yo asian brotha' up....

Legen of Zu has more fights. Plus Cecilia Cheung.... my future wife..... is there

Yeah...but the fight scenes were ridiculously gay. That was like a hyper extension of super-fu.

And yeah...I probably forgot about 2046. It's just...incredibly strange. Good stuff though.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:06 AM   #21
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Yeah...but the fight scenes were ridiculously gay. That was like a hyper extension of super-fu.

And yeah...I probably forgot about 2046. It's just...incredibly strange. Good stuff though.
....searching......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-26-2006, 06:06 PM   #22
dabouncerx24

Have you guys watched the One Missed Call series...? Sometimes I'm scared to listen to my voice messages now....
Old 06-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #23
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

One Missed Call...Takashi Miike...disappointing. It's suprising, because Miike does such cool shit (Great Yokai War is awesome). All of that J-Horror stuff is becoming just as formulaic as U.S. horror flicks.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:23 AM   #24
thermal
Banning Machine

Fuk Steve, you need to do something about our source of pirated asian movies!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a lost puppy wihout it!

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-27-2006, 12:44 AM   #25
dabouncerx24

Yeah man! Why don't you tip me on some of those pirated sites? Sometimes I'm too lazy to go to Chinatown to rent/steal/buy those movies.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:23 AM   #26
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Fuk Steve, you need to do something about our source of pirated asian movies!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a lost puppy wihout it!

Fuck dude...I sent you a PM. Hahaha. ADC should be back up in mid July (according to them). Until then, www.cinematik.net is helping to host some of ADC's things and a nice little tracker for asian AVI files can be found at http://fst.omnilounge.co.uk/

Old 06-27-2006, 09:04 AM   #27
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Ijust watched a flick I picked up off of Torrentspy called House Of Fury. It was actually really good (suprising, because torrentspy usually hosts crap). It had Anthony Wong (how can ya not love his stuff?) and was choreographed by Woo Ping Yuen. Add a hot chick that knows her martial arts with a decent story and you've got a winner.

By the by...why do HK actors tend to change their names to more western names versus Mandarin actors? Aside from last names, this film's cast reads like it could be a U.S. flick. Anthony, Stephen, Michael, Gillian, Daniel, Charlene, Jake, etc. What gives? Is HK just more prone to western culture than...say...everywhere else?

Old 06-27-2006, 01:36 PM   #28
dabouncerx24

^ yes..although everywhere else in China is quickly catching along. That movie had both Charlene and Gillian (girl singer group named Twins)? I only remember Gil being there...

Thx for the tips

Does the Shinobi from omnilounge have subtitles?

Last edited by dabouncerx24 : 06-27-2006 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #29
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Fuck dude...I sent you a PM. Hahaha. ADC should be back up in mid July (according to them). Until then, www.cinematik.net is helping to host some of ADC's things and a nice little tracker for asian AVI files can be found at http://fst.omnilounge.co.uk/
I didnt get that part bro.... been waiting for that reply

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-27-2006, 04:20 PM   #30
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Does the Shinobi from omnilounge have subtitles?

http://fst.omnilounge.co.uk/details.php?id=5411

"Here's PROMiSE's 1CD DVDRip of a movie a lot of us have been waiting for. Yes, English subtitles are included!" (they did the bold, not me)

So apparently my PMs aren't going anywhere...which is nice. I've sent out a few in the past couple days...no wonder I got no responses.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:10 AM   #31
dabouncerx24

Yeah cuz you repeated what you PMed here .

Scroll down to near the bottom of the page for the Shinobi link, the animated picture with the girl is totallllyy freaky. Like totally...
Old 06-28-2006, 09:00 PM   #32
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
http://fst.omnilounge.co.uk/details.php?id=5411

"Here's PROMiSE's 1CD DVDRip of a movie a lot of us have been waiting for. Yes, English subtitles are included!" (they did the bold, not me)

"Unfortunately the number of members at FSS has reached our current quota. As inactive members are deleted after a period of time, please feel free to try again at a later date. Donations are known to work miracles however so that route is also open to you "

I'll donate a buck

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-28-2006, 10:51 PM   #33
thermal
Banning Machine

Just got done with House of Fury. Truly an awesome movie..... that chick is gorgeous!

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-29-2006, 01:07 AM   #34
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Yeah...I really like Anthony Wong. He's played some really...ummm....unique roles. I wonder how big of a star he is in China compared to...say...Andy Lau.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:59 AM   #35
dabouncerx24

Not as big, but pretty famous.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:26 AM   #36
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Not as big, but pretty famous.

Well yeah...I'm sure no one's quite as famous as Andy Lau. Doesn't he have a singing career also? I seem to remember a Stephen Chow movie where they poked fun at his singing career.

Old 06-29-2006, 08:49 AM   #37
thermal
Banning Machine

Let's make this thread an "OFFICIAL" movie thread.

.... next review Steve. I pretty much DL anything you say is good. 98% of those you said was good really turns out one of the best I've seen..... except you didnt like Legend of Zu......... that shit was AWESOME..... Cecilia Cheung FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-29-2006, 08:58 AM   #38
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Cecilia Cheung or not, Legend Of Zu was total shit. It was like watching someone's nightmare. That's like saying House Of Flying Daggers was better than Hero just because she was in it (wasn't she?). Sure, she's insanely hot, but there's a limit to how much hotness can make a movie.

House Of Fury was the last really good asian flick I saw. That will probably change soon since I'm downloading as we speak (or type...whatever). I still highly recommend Out Of The Dark if you can find it. Maybe it'll come back when ADC is back up.

Old 06-29-2006, 04:15 PM   #39
thermal
Banning Machine

ha ha ha.... different girl bro. Flying Daggers girl is Zyang Ziyi.... or something. I dont think Cecilia Cheung has any movies that came out in U.S.

My girl:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ceci5.jpg (42.2 KB, 2 views)

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-29-2006, 04:39 PM   #40
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

It's not asian...but another movie that looks like it promises to kick a whole lot of ass is a flick called District B13. It's actually (of all things) French but seems to have a lot of martial arts and free runners (you know...those guys who jump from building to building and make it look all easy and shit). You can find it on Torrentspy or ISOHunt. Honestly, I was thinking "it's French...they never make anything good"...but even though I haven't watched the whole thing yet, it looks really promising.