::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > New Kid on the Block
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2004, 02:41 AM   #1
Incendiary

starting from the line

Hi, I'm new to this board, but I've been reading some posts and people here seem to know their stuff. I'm also new to driving stick shifts, and I find that starting from a standstill is, as everyone says, the most difficult part. I was wondering if y'all have any tips for 1) getting off to a smooth normal speed start, and 2) launching at a pretty fast speed.

For normal starts, I've been either letting the clutch out slowly to the engagement point and then easing on the gas, or I've been hitting the gas as I was letting the clutch out. I do okay, but I'd like to know how to make my starts smoother. My car jerks if I don't give it enough gas, it seems, so if it does that I know to add a little more gas and depress the clutch a little bit more. Also, just a follow-up question, but do I need to slowly let the clutch out in a continuous motion, or is there a point when I can just let go of the pedal quickly?

As for starting at a fast speed, as people racing would do, I have no clue how that's done. Do you rev the engine up to a certain level and then just quickly let your foot off the clutch when it's at a certain rpm? If so, is it advisable to do the same sort of thing, only at a lower rpm, for normal starts?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 02-28-2004, 09:09 AM   #2
4drmadness

welcoem to HS glad to have you aboard...

Well you need to get used to the clutch Friction point...that's going to be right when the clutch is engaging but not enough gas is present to take off.. Once you get to eh friction point you can feel that in the Stick...
You then start appling gas as you finish letting the clutch out for a smooth takeoff accelleration.
As for fast starts you would rev the car to like 3K-3500 and once you have the revs at that RPM you would just release the clutch completely which will propell the car off the line and probably spin if the RPMS are up to high...

Working with it and driving are the only wanys to really get you used to it...Good luck
Old 02-29-2004, 10:13 PM   #3
MAXed Out
6th Gear

Welcome. Don't worry every car is different but u will get the hand of it. Just takes time.
1997 Maxima SE 5spd, Stillen Body Kit, Warpspeed Y & B pipes, Magnaflow Muffler, Koni Yellows & Tein S-tech springs, JVC Headunit, Directed 7" in dash screen,Stillen Intake, red/clear tail lights, AE mod, Paceseter STS, EL-Glow Gauges, Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch, rebuilt tranny, 19" Mille Miglia Evo 5's with Pirelli Pzero's(summer), 18" Hp D-10 hyper silver wrapped in Goodyear ultra HPR, SPW front strut bar, Helios 7000k HID, Motostorm UDP, Viper 5000Vx alarm, 2 12" PowerClass 124 subs, Kenwood 1200 Watt amp, DVD Changer
MAXed Out is offline   Reply With Quote