::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2002, 02:33 AM   #1
myself

Don't know the difference between boxes? Click here

Well I've seen some posts asking about boxes and what not, so here's just a quick write up on the 3 most common different kind of boxes.
There's 3 basic sub boxes: sealed, ported & bandpass.
Sealed box: A straight-up sealed box, no holes/vents whatsoever. Great for overall sound quality and tight bass response. Requires more power to go to the sub. Intended music type: trance & rock.

Ported box: This box has port(s) or vent(s). Requires less power to go to the sub than a sealed box. Noted fuller bass response (boomier). Intended music type: flexible.

Bandpass box: This typically, big box is composed of 2 chambers and port(s). VERY BOOMY BASS RESPONSE w/ special attention to certain lower frequencies. (Due to this, I recommend the other 2 options.) Requires much less power than the aforementioned boxes. Intended music type: Miami bass type of stuff.
Old 05-27-2002, 03:12 AM   #2
Maxvla

fairly accurate.

Sealed box gives you the deepest possible bass and the best response of all the boxes. good for trance, rock, r+b, rap, top40.

Ported: allows more bass to escape thus needing less power to achieve the same volume. since it is not closed the response in not near sealed. good for country, light jazz, classical among other mainstream music varieties.

Bandpass: best of both worlds, yet i still prefer sealed. it is a sealed and ported box in one. by far the more complex of the 3 designs. picture a regular sealed box. then mount the sub(s) backwards in the whole. then picture a section of box around the magnet end of the subs (sticking out of the sealed box) which has one or many ports tuned to whichever frequency works best for the given setup. good for quick medium range bass music.

generally you are correct... i think a little more explanation is required for a good description.
Old 05-31-2002, 01:32 AM   #3
black95gs-t

i could swear that i said the exact same thing on the seventh post of the thread "install" by "derek's civic." and he even stole my word. aforementioned. jerk
J

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote