Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Nitrous
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2002, 04:44 AM   #1
91AccordLX

Few questions about Nitrous

Hello everyone,

I was researching N2O kits for my 91 Honda Accord when I came across this site and forums, so I thought I'd ask a few questions that were bugging me.. (yes I'm an N2O newbie)

In the very informative Nitrous FAQ sticky under the suggested items, it says..
Purge kit: Clears the line of “stale”(nitrous in vapor form) nitrous. Yes, you will notice a difference. Good to clear the line at the end of the night so you relieve the pressure on solenoids.
Remote bottle opener: You never know when someone is going to want to race you. It looks bad when you have to get out and go to your trunk to open your bottle.

Question, is it bad to open the bottle whenever you get into your car even if you don't end up using it? and if so, what is the max amount of time the bottle can be left open before anything bad happens? also how much do you have to purge to restore the power boost from "stale" nitrous?

I'm thinking about getting a Zex Nitrous dry kit just because it's the simplest kit to install.. but would a nitrous solution really be a safe addition for my stock(with K&N filter) 91 Accord LX (AT) with 160k miles? It's been well mantained with no engine work done and I believe passed a compression test in the recent past.
I'm also aiming for a 65 shot or 75shot if I can. Could I pull it off with my stock fuel system, injectors and ignition system? Or how much would corresponding upgrade parts cost?
No future mods planned and the nitrous will only be used sparingly for quick boosts when needed.

Thanks for replying!
Old 08-05-2002, 02:17 PM   #2
ShEaNy

well u COuld run it on a stock engine....but good luck....u can blow ur rods, pistons, etc after a while...it would be a good investment to do some basic mods.to the ignition and fuel systems... its totally up to u
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 08:16 PM   #3
91AccordLX

I'm a newbie who wants speed!

How long is "after a while"?

What ignition/fuel system mod would you recommend? and how much would it cost?

Please post if you have any experience with my type of situation!
Old 08-05-2002, 09:18 PM   #4
ShEaNy

well after a while might be one use of it or 20 ... i dont know honestly .. it just matters how good condition ur engine is in...u want to get a AEM fuel rail, fuel pump, fuel filter, MSD ignition wires, plugs, dist. cap, 6A Amp, and also u would want to get a CAI, headers, and exhaust to get that exhasut out of there fast...if u really want to spend some money, get forged rods and performance pistons. now for prices it depends. AEM is the best BUt the most expensive. fuel rails might be around 150 bucks, CAI 250 maybe, im talking canadian $$, headers will be around 450, and ur exhaust depends on how u get it done, custom or a brand name. My whole exhaust system cost me 550, 2 and a quarter all the way through with a dragunfire muffler at the end. Its all up to u...i would just go H22 swap..heh theres power ALL the time..
Old 08-06-2002, 01:40 AM   #5
91AccordLX

Ohh, an engine swap is out of the question, and probably Nitrous too if I'll have to replace all those other components for Nitrous to be safe for my engine.
I'm a alittle tight on cash and don't have the $k's for an engine swap or all those replacements to get Nitrous either Thought I could get a cheap thrill with a Zex "plug and play" kit, But guess I'll just have to wait till I get another car to go fast
Old 08-06-2002, 01:45 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i think you should be cool with a 50 shot. and the accord engines aren't that great. few redlines and you will get it knocking.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 12:09 PM   #7
ShEaNy

yup thats true ..hey honda when ur switching into second and third .. do u have like a tranny throw? .. if u know what i mean...i do now i think i gota take it easy..its not terrible but its noticable
Old 08-06-2002, 07:29 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

what do u mean tranny throw ? tranny moving like carp yeas i have that. i don't know about you but mine switches gears automatically

Old 08-07-2002, 09:05 AM   #9
ShEaNy

lol i mean it almost throws me into the front windshield...then settles into the next gear:o i didnt know the technical term i hate those words heh its only bad going from first to second...and yes my car does all the changing gears on its own too..its so smart hehehe
Old 08-07-2002, 09:43 AM   #10
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

the problem is that you have 2 mounts busted (1 for the engine and one for the tranny.) change the tranny oil like 3k miles for a few times and it will come back to normal.

Old 08-07-2002, 10:07 AM   #11
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Re: Few questions about Nitrous

Quote:
Originally posted by 91AccordLX

Question, is it bad to open the bottle whenever you get into your car even if you don't end up using it? and if so, what is the max amount of time the bottle can be left open before anything bad happens? also how much do you have to purge to restore the power boost from "stale" nitrous?

I'm thinking about getting a Zex Nitrous dry kit just because it's the simplest kit to install.. but would a nitrous solution really be a safe addition for my stock(with K&N filter) 91 Accord LX (AT) with 160k miles? It's been well mantained with no engine work done and I believe passed a compression test in the recent past.
I'm also aiming for a 65 shot or 75shot if I can. Could I pull it off with my stock fuel system, injectors and ignition system? Or how much would corresponding upgrade parts cost?
No future mods planned and the nitrous will only be used sparingly for quick boosts when needed.

Thanks for replying!

1. No its no bad to open the bottle even if you don't use it. You can leave it open for quite a while, but its best/safe to close when you exit the vehicle and don't plan on driving for a while.

2. Not very. You'll know when the fresh n2o is in the line. The purge turns from almost clear to white. Takes a matter of maybe a second usually. This depends on the purge valve you get though.

3. ZEX is a great choice since you're just starting out. So long as you're motor in is good owrking order, you should be fine. Nitrous definately won't correct any problems. ZEX kits are designed to work with the stock equipment. You will need to retard your timing & run colder plugs for 65+ shot sizes.

I would suggest you look into a better intake & exhaust as well. They aren't needed but will help you out alot in terms of speed.

Anyhow, ENJOY! Its addicting.....

Quote:
Originally posted by sheany_91accord
well u COuld run it on a stock engine....but good luck....u can blow ur rods, pistons, etc after a while...it would be a good investment to do some basic mods.to the ignition and fuel systems... its totally up to u
I ran 75 shot on a stock 98 Civic EX with no internal work. It ran beautifully. Its all about common sense.
Nitrous doesn't blow motors, stupid people do.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:08 PM   #12
ShEaNy

LOL i guess your right....but i mean it never does hurt to upgrade other things..to make sure everything runs smooth
Old 08-07-2002, 05:31 PM   #13
91AccordLX

thanks for the responses.. Well after Sheany's inital posts that scared me away from a 50+ shot.. I talked to my girlfriend's best friend's dad who is the best friend of the creator and Founder of NOS(yes the company and yeah I know what you're thinking with all those friend of friends.. but it's true, I swear ) And recommended that I get a 30shot kit since my car is older with alot of miles. Best part of all, he's going to talk to his friend to check my car and hook me up!
Old 08-07-2002, 10:16 PM   #14
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Hey go for it! 30 shot will just have you wanting more. Heck a 75 had me wanting more. Its scary...
Old 08-07-2002, 10:39 PM   #15
AzCivic

F it, just do a 100 shot it'll give you motivation to do an engine swap when your pistons fly through the hood
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 10:59 PM   #16
91AccordLX

I'd be happy with the Zex kit at 75shots if it didn't have a chance of blowing my engine But I think it would be much safer to have the 30shot professionally installed by the people who invented it in the first place. But damn would I love to have 200hp in a stock 91 Accord (without an engine swap)
Old 08-07-2002, 11:08 PM   #17
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

get a turbo dude. that will rock your world

Old 08-08-2002, 03:13 PM   #18
ShEaNy

LOL i didnt mean to scare u away! i was just stating the facts..and ya a 100 shot will do something bad.lol id honestly say if ur engine is fine and u got the money..get like a 60 shot...
Old 08-08-2002, 03:41 PM   #19
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by 91AccordLX
I'd be happy with the Zex kit at 75shots if it didn't have a chance of blowing my engine But I think it would be much safer to have the 30shot professionally installed by the people who invented it in the first place. But damn would I love to have 200hp in a stock 91 Accord (without an engine swap)
They didn't invent it, but they did a good job producing the systems.