::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2003, 12:27 AM   #1
97CivicBoy

want to get a wing...need opinion

hey..i was thinkin of gettin an aftermarket wing..not a spoiler a wing...i kno most ppl usally put those on after they get a body kit cuz they dont really look good witout one..but i got a 97 civic 4 door no body kit..and i was thinkin fo puttin a small one on it..i thougth it would look coo..ne ideas...or sizes...or what kind i should put on..lemme kno
97CivicBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 12:31 AM   #2
Violent Apathy

Quote:
i kno most ppl usally put those on after they get a body kit cuz they dont really look good witout one

A shopping cart spoiler? those don't look good period......

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Violent Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 12:41 AM   #3
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Well, since you're looking for opinions...
DON'T DO IT!

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 12:58 AM   #4
Duckydos

My $.02 is to not get one... but if you do...
Old 04-23-2003, 01:11 AM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

a small or a touring wing looks good on a car. not the tall power line looking ones :o

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 07:08 AM   #6
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I wish I would have never bought my wing.. Its going to cost me more to take of then it was to actually buy it and have it installed. I wouldnt put one on.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:09 AM   #7
nonovurbizniz

just jack a park bench from a local park weld that shiot on... plus it's got down force at a stop y0!
Old 04-23-2003, 09:12 AM   #8
oc civic

get the BIGGEST most OBNOXIOUS one you can find they look GREAT
Old 04-23-2003, 09:25 AM   #9
msvtec14

Nah...I didn't put on a wing after I put my body kit on. I did not want it to take away from the actual body of my car. However, I have a stock spoiler on my Accord because it has always been there.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:37 AM   #10
SolPol

Go OEM spoiler. Generally, they are the only ones that look ok.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:37 AM   #11
Daviso27
3rd Gear

While your at it...Get a catback like this one...adds +25hp like the F1 wings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big_tip1.jpg (21.0 KB, 59 views)
Daviso27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:44 AM   #12
97CivicBoy

yo none of you ar ehelping me here..jus fightin wit each other..i wanan get one...wat size should i get i want a small one somethign that'll look good on a 4 dr civic...lemme kno
97CivicBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:52 AM   #13
SolPol

OEM
Old 04-23-2003, 11:11 AM   #14
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by 97CivicBoy
yo none of you ar ehelping me here..jus fightin wit each other..i wanan get one...wat size should i get i want a small one somethign that'll look good on a 4 dr civic...lemme kno

Dude, you asked for our opinions about spoilers/wings and we gave them to you. With the exception of a few people anyway.

It seems like the general public doesnt care much for spoilers or they prefer smaller spoilers like OEM. If that wasnt the answer you were looking for, and you already know what you want. Why ask?

I hope that makes sense.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:22 AM   #15
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

wings belong on planes...not on cars...

thats my opinion.

Ok look, those wings are very functional on cars that actually need them (tourismo). But you'll never really be going that fast for long (Highway certainly doesnt count because its a straigh line). You just dont NEED one...and theyre so fricken tacky.

I saw a corvette w/ one yesterday and it looked decent...probably becuase it was so low key, maybe not even 6" high...but youre probably planning on a 9"-er right? .....

edit**ok I just thought of this...how about a Mugen (even mugen style) wing...it looks good on the 4drs. Check into those, Im sure you'll like it

(There is a really badass one @ www.jdmfan.com, you have to become a member to see the pics...but its worth it..."See the light")
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 11:31 AM   #16
Shot 2 Hel

how big is "small" personally i dont even like the OEM ones
Old 04-23-2003, 11:37 AM   #17
nonovurbizniz

F wings dude... spend the money on something else.. preferably something that actually aids the performance of your car... if your that caught up in making a 4 door civic look cool (good luck)... then get something else... like those mint led wiper squirters... or even better the valve stem caps that light up... that sh!t is hot.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:40 AM   #18
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i have a jsp touring wing. it looks pretty good with the body of the car because my car is very flat and square. and it sits only 5" above the trunk lid. as i said before i like wings but not something that look like power line posts

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 11:55 AM   #19
pdiggitydogg

alright, I found the page on jdmfan that has the coolest ferio Ive ever seen...right here

Heres 1 shot of it...

(theres another on the site that shows the rear end directly)
Old 04-23-2003, 12:22 PM   #20
oc civic

http://www.tuneshops.com/order-Auto~...ler-1-4640.htm

Oh Shiat Dawg DAtZ Ill.. If i ever GeT a Fo DO datz da piece imm' gOnnA have Up 0N dA' riDe...
Old 04-23-2003, 04:46 PM   #21
Violent Apathy

Quote:

You asked for opionions and I gave you mine. Wings look like shit and most any car, civics included. And unless you're planning on goin like 200 miles an hour it ain't gonna do shit for your car.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Violent Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 05:21 PM   #22
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by oc civic
get the BIGGEST most OBNOXIOUS one you can find they look GREAT

Go to your local airport and ask the pilots if they know of any broken airplanes you can take a wing off of. Just staple that to your trunk and you will be cool.

Or you can get the wing you see on my car.

Old 04-23-2003, 05:25 PM   #23
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by cashizslick
Go to your local airport and ask the pilots if they know of any broken airplanes you can take a wing off of. Just staple that to your trunk and you will be cool.

that might be ok for some rwd mustang or something.. but NEVER for a fwd honda.. you will need a MUCH larger wing than that.. EVERYONE knows hondas require HUGE wings cause they are fwd.. stop trying to confuse the kid
Old 04-23-2003, 05:52 PM   #24
firstgeardude

^ that link you posted... i dont think that aluminum wing looks half bad

i know someone who has that on a BMW 325i
Old 04-23-2003, 06:17 PM   #25
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by firstgeardude
^ that link you posted... i dont think that aluminum wing looks half bad

i know someone who has that on a BMW 325i

anyone that knows me would know i was COMPLETELY kidding but hey whatever floats his boat.. its not my car..
Old 04-23-2003, 06:34 PM   #26
OPAKRACING

APR Drag:

http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showt...threadid=12936
Old 04-23-2003, 07:48 PM   #27
cashizslick

Im tellin you, just get the same wing as me.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:39 PM   #28
tegsRus

if your gonna get one get a short one. not too tall, and please do make sure u got enough power under the hood to back it up. I really think that all show and no go is the worst thing in the world.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:45 PM   #29
pdiggitydogg

Quote:
Originally posted by oc civic
Oh Shiat Dawg DAtZ Ill.. If i ever GeT a Fo DO datz da piece imm' gOnnA have Up 0N dA' riDe...

hey oc...
Old 04-23-2003, 10:56 PM   #30
OPAKRACING

Quote:
Originally posted by tegsRus
if your gonna get one get a short one. not too tall, and please do make sure u got enough power under the hood to back it up. I really think that all show and no go is the worst thing in the world.

Quote:
Originally posted by OPAKRACING

APR Drag:

http://www.hstuners.com/forums/show...&threadid=12936
Old 04-24-2003, 08:28 AM   #31
nonovurbizniz

^ that's a dead link...

Yes aero dynamics play a plenty big role at 80 much less 100...

HOWEVER... there is NO need for the added downforce of a wing... no not because it FWD... because our suspensions are PLENTY good enough and the car is already seated by the wind...

If ANY of these companies had wind tunnel tests showing there effect on drag then MAYBE I would say they're not GAY... but even then... if you have a big wing on your CIVIC... you dumb... you look stupid to 90% of the world.. the only ones who like them are the TOTALLY un-informed. EVERYONE gets one or wants one when they first have a car just about everyone regrets it eventually...

Some wings look OK.... on some cars you NEED a wing to complete the symetry of the rear end... take the new accord... it's ugly as ALL hell till it has the stock spoiler on... then it's alright.

My 93 sentra NEEDED a wing it was too boxey w/o one.. never got one though. Cuz aftermarket wings are CHEEZY and poorly made... and factory ones are usually a little too sedate.

Point is if you want one pick the one YOU like... don't come and ask a bunch of people who hate them which one...

I stick to my original answer... a park bench... that's what most will call it anyway and it has downforce at launch... and it's FREE if you steal it.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:34 AM   #32
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Okay, on the subject of downforce. Rear downforce on a FWD car is important. Especially if you are racing. Rear wings can help with understeer and oversteer if properly adjusted. Most of these big goofy wings are more cosmetic then functional. Its also important to balance the added rear downforce with frontal downforce.

You are correct about drag. Addition of downforce also means more drag.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:41 AM   #33
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i cant honestly recommend a wing for your car, they look better wingless... use that money to get better quality rims if your conserned about exterior appearence.. or a camber kit for when you lower the car.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 01:26 PM   #34
pbateson

What about '95 Accord need for wing or a lip?

I need a wing on the back and lip on the front.

I talking to highlander on AIM, and I compation to him about the wing for the downforce.

My car is FWD.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:43 PM   #35
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Do you have wheels or anything on the accord?
Old 04-24-2003, 02:16 PM   #36
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by pbateson

I talking to highlander on AIM, and I compation to him about the wing for the downforce.

My car is FWD.

what the hell are you TRYING to say here..
Old 04-24-2003, 02:52 PM   #37
OPAKRACING

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
^ that's a dead link...

Yes aero dynamics play a plenty big role at 80 much less 100...

HOWEVER... there is NO need for the added downforce of a wing... no not because it FWD... because our suspensions are PLENTY good enough and the car is already seated by the wind...

If ANY of these companies had wind tunnel tests showing there effect on drag then MAYBE I would say they're not GAY... but even then... if you have a big wing on your CIVIC... you dumb... you look stupid to 90% of the world.. the only ones who like them are the TOTALLY un-informed. EVERYONE gets one or wants one when they first have a car just about everyone regrets it eventually...

Some wings look OK.... on some cars you NEED a wing to complete the symetry of the rear end... take the new accord... it's ugly as ALL hell till it has the stock spoiler on... then it's alright.

My 93 sentra NEEDED a wing it was too boxey w/o one.. never got one though. Cuz aftermarket wings are CHEEZY and poorly made... and factory ones are usually a little too sedate.

Point is if you want one pick the one YOU like... don't come and ask a bunch of people who hate them which one...

I stick to my original answer... a park bench... that's what most will call it anyway and it has downforce at launch... and it's FREE if you steal it.

Click the link in the original post...My wing i think is very un offensive, because it adds that aluminum wing look without it being extremely tall and huge.

I think civics are the same way...they just need somthin on the back to make them look complete.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:53 PM   #38
eXNBP

Wow lot's of flammage going on here lol Anyaws my opinion for the 96-98 Civic sedans are either the Mugen wing or a JDM Ferio wing. The mugen would look aggressive and I recommend to only get it if you have some power to back up. The JDM ferio one is just a deck lid spoiler that looks really low key and they always flow well with the lines of the car usually Good luck on your search man update us on your choice
Old 04-24-2003, 06:02 PM   #39
CD5Passion

you only need one of those wings if you are drag racing..or intending to bump up your frequent flyer miles..stick with a OEM spoiler they look like they belong
oh Daviso27 Im digging that catback its the shiznat
anyways keep the spoiler at a low profile ,something short and not too obnoxious
im currently looking fo one for my 96 accord..and im probably going to go with a mid-high OEM..not too small but also not looking like a Supra gone bad
Old 04-25-2003, 10:16 AM   #40
Daviso27
3rd Gear

Re: want to get a wing...need opinion

Quote:
Originally posted by 97CivicBoy
hey..i was thinkin of gettin an aftermarket wing..not a spoiler a wing...i kno most ppl usally put those on after they get a body kit cuz they dont really look good witout one..but i got a 97 civic 4 door no body kit..and i was thinkin fo puttin a small one on it..i thougth it would look coo..ne ideas...or sizes...or what kind i should put on..lemme kno

Yo, This one's "tight-work"

Daviso27 is offline   Reply With Quote