::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2002, 08:29 PM   #1
Grip72

Box Enclosure Idea? Your opinion

Hey, does anyone konw of any good sub box websites or anything? I have 2 rockford 10"s and a rockford 12" as well and i'm only running the 12" right now. I want to construct a box with the 12" AND the 10"s for a bit more thump. Does anyone have any good ideas/suggestions/warnings for me? Thanks alot. I was thinking of buliding a box with the 12 in the middle and the 10's on like 45degree angles on either side of it..
Grip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 08:36 PM   #2
blind34_1

Okay, don't quote me on this because I'm not an audio expert by any means (my friend is), but I dont think its a good idea to mix sizes of subs. ex: If you have a 12 you cant supplement with a 10. I've heard it will sound like crap or wont improve sound. It all has to do with output from your amp being the same and different size subs throw it off or something.
Someone who knows exactly what I'm talking about please correct me!

Also, two tens will probably sound better than one twelve. I'd say hold onto the twelve or install it in a friends car or sell it (rockfords'll fetch a nice price)
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 12:10 AM   #3
Grip72

Fair Enough..but right now i am running my Rockford 12" by a 2 channel Kenwood 250W amp in my car and i used to have my 2 rockford 10"s by a 4 channel Alpine 400W and they didn't pound nearly as hard. My 10's handle less wattage as well. I was going to use my alpine amp for my 10's AND my kenwood for my 12 all in one box but i was hoping to keep the 12 in the middle and kinda of blocked off...i think it'll work, besides...who needs a trunk right? haha..any more ideas?
Old 05-24-2002, 12:33 AM   #4
myself

blind34_1 is right, it is not good to mix sizes of subs, don't even do it. My suggestion is to just use the biggest amp and run it bridged for the max power to the 12. Good luck with it all
Old 05-24-2002, 02:32 PM   #5
black95gs-t

contrary to popular belief, you can mix sub sizes. but, it is in no way easy to make it sound right. first you need seperate chambers for the different size subs. thats pretty easy though. then you need seperate amps for different sub sizes. also pretty easy. the hard part comes in here. setting the gain, well thats pretty easy too. the x-over on most amps will make it a total ***** of a job to do though. the x-over is the most important part of this whole procedure. reason being, the x-over on most amps is just a guess as to what it is set at. the only ones that i know of that have exact settings are the Precision Power PC's, and well the PCX's have them too but don't get a PCX. if you have not done this before, or think that anything that comes out of best buy sounds good for that matter, i would take it to a local shop to have them set. you can install them yourself and do all of the work, but if you don't know what you are doing, the settings can really screw it up.
J

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 11:04 AM   #6
vtec_thao

sub box

here is what i think..its correct that you do need a x-over to work different sized subs... it's good that there is still guys who still understands how car stereo works....well to let you know in my opinion is to just run the 10's if not then just the 12.... its too much trouble to tune multiple subs....but it can be done...the 10's with a good box size and feed it with good enough power can really hit and trust me they can thump hard if done rite....
there is a real good site that i go to.... its www.12volt.com... they should have enough info to help you biuld a box for your subs...
Old 05-25-2002, 11:27 AM   #7
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Use all 3 subs.. Build boxes to factory specs.. Try to tune the 12 at around 38hz and the 10s at around 48-52. And then you'll need to do a healthy amount of fiddling with the Xover settings..
But it isnt anything dramatic.
You're box idea should work, actually I'm pretty sure it will.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 04:11 PM   #8
Grip72

aThanks guys...i'm still stumped tho with all the different opinions..AAAHHHH..
Old 05-25-2002, 04:32 PM   #9
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Education is the best way to avoid confusion.. No pun intended.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 01:04 AM   #10
black95gs-t

those tunings are pretty low for those sizes.
J

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote