::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2003, 02:46 PM   #1
jeq214

too much power?

I've got a jbl bp600.1 thats rated at 600w x 1 @2 ohms. Does anyone know if thats too much power for the 12" kicker compvr @2 ohms and thats rated at 400w rms. I don't know if my amp is 600w peak or rms.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:13 PM   #2
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

your amp delivers 600w rms @ 2 ohms..

You got the 2ohm DVC Comp VR right? If so, exchangine it for a 4ohm DVC Comp VR, so that you can wire to yield a 2 ohm load.

Or get another 2ohm DVC Comp VR.. Wire the to yield a final impedance of 2 ohms, and each will receive 300 w rms..

But you sub, can handle a lot of those 600 watts.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 01:19 AM   #3
jeq214

thanks, man
Old 01-23-2003, 08:49 AM   #4
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

no prob...
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 06:46 AM   #5
sc0rch

careful.....i had 2 dual 4 ohm comp VRs and i blew um pushing too much power......if the sub is 300 watts RMS you should get a 400 watt amp..... say 300 rms 500 peak 400 watts is fine...... always stay under the peak power of the sub or sles you'll more than likely blow it...oh and another thing...you dont need to crank the gain open all the way......set the gain to around a 12volt level so that you have less chance of frying the alt and the sub wont completely over power the highs.....and ywa a 600 watt amp will trash a factory alt.....trust me.....
Old 01-27-2003, 04:06 PM   #6
FasterThanLight

Quote:
Originally posted by sc0rch
careful.....set the gain to around a 12volt level

on that note: nope, that amp isn't too powerful. just turn the sensitivity/gain down. it's a lot better to over power rather than underpower a sub- it's the clipping/distortion that will overheat a voicecoil in no time. at any rate, think of it this way- if you had a choice of pulling a trailer up a hill with a pinto or a diesel truck, what would you pick? i know that's a really general analogy, but it's applicable...
Old 01-27-2003, 04:11 PM   #7
GSteg

Quote:
Originally posted by FasterThanLight
on that note: nope, that amp isn't too powerful. just turn the sensitivity/gain down. it's a lot better to over power rather than underpower a sub- it's the clipping/distortion that will overheat a voicecoil in no time. at any rate, think of it this way- if you had a choice of pulling a trailer up a hill with a pinto or a diesel truck, what would you pick? i know that's a really general analogy, but it's applicable...

overpowering is better than underpowering? underpowering can't hurt if you set the gains correctly. it will only limit the performance of the driver. crank up the gain (driving the amp into clipping), and its the user's fault, not underpowering.