::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2002, 11:58 AM   #1
HondaTypeJ

Keyless entry doesnt work anymore...

Well aint this a B! I got this used Honda Civic (1997 EX 4dr), and it had keyless entry that worked. Anyway, I remember reading about how if you were to take out the Honda brand radio the keyless entry would not work anymore. BUT, like I said when I bought the car, it ALREADY had an aftermarket radio in it (sony) AND the keyless entry STILL worked. Moving on, I figured "well, since the keyless entry still works with this current Sony radio in it, I will replace it (since it was 3 years old) and put in a newer one (see pic below) and keyless entry will still work." Well, I was wrong! Right after I had the kind people at Best Buy install my new radio/cd player, keyless entry doesnt work anymore! Why is this? Why would it work before with the other Sony radio, but not with this new one I put in? I actually went down to Santa Monica Honda and the mechanic said that it has to do with something reseting...? I wasnt paying much attention. If anyone know why it doesnt work anymore, please let me know. Can it be made to work again?
Attached Images
File Type: gif sony620sm.gif (7.1 KB, 34 views)
Old 01-14-2002, 12:28 PM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Ok.. If your keyless was working in there before you let Best Buy touch your stuff (what were you thinking?? ) Chances are the factory radio was back behind the console or something like that.. If it was the stock keyless, you are correct when you say the factory headunit runs the keyless.. Chances are the idiots at Bestbuy removed the factory head unit and your other one as well or there is no longer power going to you old head unit and it is still back there somewhere. Id call Best Buy and find out exactly what they did! All I can say is you have a 99.9% chance that they screwed something up for you.. They always do..

Good luck..
Old 01-14-2002, 12:32 PM   #3
HondaTypeJ

Keyless....

Ya, it was the stock keyless entry. If I take it back to best buy, will they be able to fix it and make it so that I can have my keyless entry back, or have they permanently done something...
Old 01-14-2002, 12:34 PM   #4
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Re: Keyless....

Quote:
Originally posted by HondaTypeJ
Ya, it was the stock keyless entry. If I take it back to best buy, will they be able to fix it and make it so that I can have my keyless entry back, or have they permanently done something...

Chances are they just took power away from it if it was in behind the console, if thats the case it should be fixable.. All I can say is if they give you any hell about it talk to someone in charge and raise hell with them. It workd before there is no reason it should work now, other then the fact they dont know what they are doing..
Old 01-14-2002, 01:49 PM   #5
slowEJ6

the majority of best buy car audio techs are stupid, dont forget that. not all, but most of them are. all most of them know is that running positive from the battery to amp, ground wire, and turn on wire = an amp that will turn on. not to mention they like to take their time installing stuff so that you have to sit around and wait. even circuit city is better than them imo.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 01:59 PM   #6
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by hybrid3do0rcx
the majority of best buy car audio techs are stupid, dont forget that. not all, but most of them are. all most of them know is that running positive from the battery to amp, ground wire, and turn on wire = an amp that will turn on. not to mention they like to take their time installing stuff so that you have to sit around and wait. even circuit city is better than them imo.

Ill agree to that...!!!

I have a friend that bought a 800$ pioneer from bestbuy and they installed it... They cut all filters off the pioneer wiring harness.. Needless to say he was getting nasty road noise through his radio until we fixed it..
Old 01-14-2002, 05:09 PM   #7
BrandonClaps

If you had an aftermarket radio already when u bought it and the keyless worked, then your honda radio was mounted behind the cup holders behin the cover panels. They may have used a different wiring harness instead of the T/Y one the were supposed to use. Or they may have just ****ed up the wiring. Get on the floor of your car and look behind the panels behind the cup holders and check to see if it's still there. If not they took it ;] Bring it back and stir some shit up ;D
Old 01-14-2002, 11:50 PM   #8
HondaTypeJ

Keyless entry...continued.

Ok, I actually found this before I read all of your replies (thanks by the way). I was looking under the glove compartment to see about hyper blinkers, when I saw in the corner or my eye...THR ORIGINAL HONDA STOCK RADIO. So I take it that this is what people do when they install aftermarket radios and want to keep thier keyless entry? Well anyway, tomorrow I am going to go back into best buy and have them reconnect whatever they disconnected. Will this be easy? What exactly did they disconnect...? Anyway, I cant wait to get back the keyless entry, it was really convenient.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:34 AM   #9
BrandonClaps

they probably just disconnected the wiring harness, it's as easy as snapping it in. Maybe they did it on accident, or maybe they put a whole knew wiring harness in there without the T/Y