::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2002, 12:35 AM   #1
shizzott

f23 going in a civic coupe

Whatta you all think? A friend of mine is getting a h22 swap and is going to give me his low miles f23 2.3 DOHC, tranny, axles, ecu, ect.. out of his 94 honda prelude SI.

Anyone have any info on this swap? Were do i get the mounts and anything else i'll need?

Also
anyone know were i can get a f23 turbo manifold with a t3 flange?
Old 05-21-2002, 12:40 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

first of all the engine is not a f23, it is a h23. the main differences between those is that the f23 is only on the 98-02 accords which is a sohc, and the h23 is only on the 92-95 prelude and it is a DOHC. i'm not sure how much power yours is making, but i don't think the swap is worth it. the h23 makes only 160 hp, and it's heavy as hell, not to mention the engine bay modifications.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 04:54 AM   #3
shizzott

You honestly dont think this would be the perfect turbo motor? I don't want Vtec [going turbo] and there is no replacement for displacement. I hear of these people putting h22s in their civics and loving it. The prelude non vtec 2.3 dohc sounds great.

What modifications have to be done to the engine bay? Also do you have any resources that you could point me to? Wouldnt this motor be just like bolting a h22 in there? like same mounting ect.. ?

Also i've heard that i cant use any belt running things, like a/c and power steering? I'd kinda like to have them if its possible but It would prob we worth it if i had to do with out.

Any info or help much oblidged.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:56 AM   #4
shizzott

right now i have a sohc vtec with a zex 75 shot and a bunch of bolt ons.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:20 AM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i don't know about the modifications, but they are the same as for the h22 to be dropped in the civic. sorry i don't have any links. and for the compression ratio i wouldn't worry too much on the h22 becuase it has a 10.1:1 cr and the h23 is a 9.8:1 cr. anyway going turbo on both of the engines will require new gaskets, so you could decrease the cr in the h22 by using a thicker head gasket.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 11:26 PM   #6
shizzott

I'll have the motor within a week or so. Anyone have any h22 swaps in a 5th gen resources?
Old 05-28-2002, 07:08 PM   #7
juvenile

http://www.hasport.com/M92_H22.htm - mount
you can try regging and checkin this forum http://forums.civicland.com/viewforum.php?forum=9
Quote:
Moderate Swap -Engine will bolt in without major chassis modifications. May require a hybrid installation kit. Hybrid conversion kits are available from HASport Place Racing and HPC. Kit makes this more complicated install as easy as the easy swap described above although this solution may be more costly.
-http://www.performancesupply.com/swapinfo.htm

will post more once hockey intermission is on! hope this helps so far.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:43 PM   #8
Maxvla

Quote:
Originally posted by juvenile
[will post more once hockey intermission is on! hope this helps so far.

you canadians! lol jfwy.

i don't think the swap is worth it. there are many people who have problems breaking axles with the h22 and i assume the h23 is about the same weight. the h22 is kind of a hassle since it weighs alot more... you do get alot more power... but, if your breaking things... i'd think twice about it. whats the gain? 25hp?

i'd swap me a b18c1 or b18c5 instead. 170ish hp and no major engine bay problems.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:02 PM   #9
juvenile

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxvla

you canadians! lol jfwy.

just to inform you yanks...the leafs are out...
Old 05-28-2002, 10:44 PM   #10
shizzott

The gain in torque alone is worth it to me. "no replacement for displacement" Axles, a friend of mine got some for his civic and i think there supposed to be good up to 500hp or thats how they rated them. I dont see me breaking the same axles with a h23 and a garrett t3/t4 pushing a lil over 300hp breaking them. Plus with the car lowered about 2" the cvs arnt in as much of a bind as opposed to stock ride height.

Anyone know were i can get a set of H beam rods, and pistons. I dont know if i want alum ones or cast ones with it boosted.

its stock bored right now, wondering how far i can overbore it? Anyone know were i can get info on strokin it? That'd be tight.]

hell, the motor sliped a timing belt when it was in the lude, its a free motor, tranny, axles, shiftlinkage.. ect. I dont think it has any bottom end damage but i'm sending the head and flywheel off to a local speed shop. flywheel will be lightened to 7 - 9 - or 12 lbs. The head will have skunk2 cams [some sort of turbo grind]. skunk 2 valves, titanium retainers, guides, ported polished, 5angle intake, 3 angle exhast. micro beaded.

I sent my D16 intake manifold to a machine shop for a lil work, it came back they did a good lob, they even milled a lil off the sides for the injectors. I think i'll send the h23s intake manifold there as well. there as well. I'd like to get the h23s top porton bored as much as possible, hopeing for 70mm.

Thanks for the links!

typos.. stoner
Old 05-29-2002, 02:40 AM   #11
Maxvla

you can overbore a H22 to 2.6 liters... 220hp/190ft/lbs

give it a go.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:43 AM   #12
juvenile

If you overbore it, won't that cause more problems?
Old 05-29-2002, 01:56 PM   #13
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Lots of stuff going on here.

Remember that with an H series motor going in, you're going to lose your belt driven accessories with the exception of your alternator. No a/c, abs, or power steering. Understeer will also become much more apparent with the larger motor in your shorter chassis. Invest in sway bars ASAP.

Expect to replace your axles and CVs often.

Just about everybody sells H series rods and pistons. For the rods I'd look into Eagle, Probe, and possibly Crower, and it's not very often that I mention Crower. For the pistons, I'd look into Arias and Probe, but stay away from JE. All of these will also do custom pistons, should you decide to overbore. Make sure you get forged pieces, not cast.

You can bore 3mm if you don't sleeve, and I wouldn't go more than 6mm over if you do sleeve. Past 6mm, the space between the cylinders is too thin.

Don't stroke it. Your H23 already has a low 1.54 rod ratio. Stroking it makes it worse.

I'd send the intake manifold out with the motor so you know they're port matched properly.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 01:05 AM   #14
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

the h23's are beasts with turbo's on them, possibly making more power than h22's because of the displacment. once you put some cams on the h23 you will loose your low end power, but can make near the same as the h22 cause of the displacment. honestly i say go for it. you want a turbo, the h23 is a great candidate. sometimes i wish i got a SI and turboed it with the money i spent on the vtec modle. as far as stroking the engine, dont do it, the engines dont hold up well from what ive herd at 2.6 lts. i remember someone from some board put so much money into his engine all motor and the displacment upper broke the engine shortly after. the h23 sits a little different than the h22, but uses the same mounts, so a h22 kit SHOULD fit a h23 also. it does in preludes. the engine has low end power, somehting not offten found in hondas. 160hp and 156 lb/ft@5500rpms and the tq band is lvl from about 2500-6000 with it peaking at 5500. the engine can handle about 7psi on stock internals considering a compression test comes back ok, and theres no problems with the engine. also the tranny is better for turbo cause its got longer gearing. man, if your getting the engine for free, put thr 5-600 its gonna cost you to get it in, you'll be supprised the power its got. it throws a tank(some times call "prelude") a 15.6~7 1/4 mile stock, and the h22 does it in 15.0~1 so its very capable. get the kit, a thick rear sway bar, and enjoy your low 14 high 13 stock car.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 04:49 AM   #15
shizzott

yea boy, thats what i like to hear! Its a freebie, if i dont like it, i'll either sell the car or swap back to the d16. All labor is free, i do it my self so its not a problem. I personally cant wait. What about the cam. With a turbo ground cam i thought it just eliminated blow by [valves open at the same time, loss of pressure, cant hold boost. a friend of mine in a b18c5 was having this problem] How will i lose my low end power a turbo cam isnt that big of a cam is it? like at every stop light having to launch at 4k at least? *uck that! The main reason i want the h23 is the lowend. Something my shitty d16 vtec doesnt and never will have.