::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2002, 05:42 PM   #1
AzCivic

Lightened Flywheel, 12lb or 9lb

I'm going to be replacing my clutch and I figured I might as well put in a lightened flywheel while I'm at it. So is there much of a difference between the 12 and 9lb flywheels as far as driveability and acceleration are concerned?
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 07:20 PM   #2
'00EX5-turbo

dont go with flywheels that are lighter than 10lb. u'll lose all the torque(especially civic). u'll definitely get more hp, but not until high rpms
Old 09-07-2002, 12:12 AM   #3
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Try to hit the "reply" button next time

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 12:29 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Merged the threads.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 01:15 AM   #5
AzCivic

So how much does my stock flywheel weigh anyway?
Old 09-07-2002, 02:06 AM   #6
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
Merged the threads.

Damn, never thought to do that

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 02:27 AM   #7
Dangerous Dan

Re: .

Quote:
Originally posted by '00EX5-turbo
dont go with flywheels that are lighter than 10lb. u'll lose all the torque(especially civic). u'll definitely get more hp, but not until high rpms

Wrong!
The lighten mass will reduce the car torq when moving from a dead stop ,but any Decent driver can add rpm to compensate .
While moving even at 1000 rpms the lighter the flywheel the less paristic drag on the motor the power that will get to the wheels . Hence faster Aceleration . It the same basis as underdrive pulleys .

I Have a Fidanza 9lb flywheel on my 97 Probe gt , big diffrence every where in the rpm range .
I've riden in probes with mx-3 13lb pound flywheel and the 9lb feels so much better .
Old 09-07-2002, 02:47 AM   #8
'00EX5-turbo

probe man

ur probe has more torque than civics. and i read it off a website saying that civics(the ones without forced induction)shouldnt have flywheels lighter than 9 lbs.
Old 09-07-2002, 02:57 AM   #9
'00EX5-turbo

probe man

it's not always the lighter the better. since i dont know how to explain well. but i know that for civics, lighter flywheel addes more hp but will lose some torque becuz hp and torque are relatively related(i read this article from hondalife.com and the author had an equation showing that how torque and hp are related). lightened flywheels are definitely good for big torque cars such as mustangs. but for civic---no lighter than 9lbs(i believe it's 9lbs not 10lbs)

i dont know how much the stock one weights.

my friend once wanted to put a 8lbs flywheel in his 98 hx, but the motorshop mechanic told him not too becuz the car will lose torque, and to civics, this is a big issue since we dont have much torque and we cant afford to lose more.

uh, probe man, i m not wrong about this. i might not know how other cars work, but i definitely know something about what i m driving!
Old 09-07-2002, 03:04 AM   #10
'00EX5-turbo

probe man

oh! and plus, i dont know if u know what "heel-toe" is, and how it is done(when u shift down gears u use ur right toe on the brake and ur heel on the gas while stepping on the clutching with ur left foot). people who go to autox or people who really knows how to drive should know how to do this. i dont know about other cars, but once u have the 9lbs or lighter flywheel on ur civics, u wont be able to do heel-toe on ur car becuz when u downshift, ur lightened flywheel and clutch wont be able to slow the car for u. (cuz when u downshift and let go the clutch, the engine's backpressure slows the car down)
Old 09-07-2002, 12:55 PM   #11
AzCivic

I think the way a Civic would lose "torque" with a lightened flywheel is that it would lose the momentum of the heavier flywheel when going into gear, which should be able to be overcome by revving the engine higher. Granted i didn't read that article but thats just what i'm thinking. So does anyone know the stock weight of my flywheel??
Old 09-07-2002, 01:03 PM   #12
VieT916

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
So does anyone know the stock weight of my flywheel??

I think it's somewhere between 18-21 lbs. I remember reading that somewhere.
Old 09-07-2002, 03:30 PM   #13
Dangerous Dan

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
I think the way a Civic would lose "torque" with a lightened flywheel is that it would lose the momentum of the heavier flywheel when going into gear, which should be able to be overcome by revving the engine higher. Granted i didn't read that article but thats just what i'm thinking. So does anyone know the stock weight of my flywheel??
Exactly

I'm not buying this loss of torq ,stuff . No matter what kind of car it is its still a 4 stroke motor .
The less resistance the motor has to turn the more power it will make everywere .
I've read enitre arcticals writen by complete jackass's that don't know a wrench from a screw driver , but know some stupid equation , That does'nt work out in the real world .

The lighter is not always better thearoy is For drag racing , The lighter the flywheel the less inertia the motor has to force the car of the line , In which does''nt apply to to most fwd car becasue we all get wheelspin way to easyily .
I'm familar with heel-to-toe shifting , but don't bother cause it has no purpose in my car , I practice never taking my foot of the gas shifting ,which soemtiems leads big tire spin in 2nd and 3rd .

I would'nt go any ligther than 8 or 9 on the street becasue the car would beto easy to stall .

If u would like to argue more with me , Instant message Me sometime on aim .
Old 09-07-2002, 04:10 PM   #14
AzCivic

Good info, thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go with a 12lb flywheel to help with the driveability.
Old 09-07-2002, 04:33 PM   #15
'00EX5-turbo

probe man

hey! dont u get it?!! the whole time i was talking about CIVICs only. and u were just talking about ur probe. and who cares about ur probe anyway, man? this is a honda forum where honda car owners seek information about their HONDA cars!! f***ing man! i dint say sh*t that ur information werent right. i was only saying that what it works on ur car doesnt always work on CIVICs. sh*t!! and u think u know more about civics than me. sh*t!! f***ing pissed me off. sh*t!!!
Old 09-07-2002, 04:35 PM   #16
'00EX5-turbo

Azcivic

hey man, u made a good choice!
Old 09-07-2002, 04:36 PM   #17
'00EX5-turbo

probe man

wtf! i aint gonna argue with u on AIM or whatsoever?!!
Old 09-07-2002, 05:16 PM   #18
AzCivic

Re: Azcivic

Quote:
Originally posted by '00EX5-turbo
hey man, u made a good choice!

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2002, 08:09 AM   #19
dudeman47

I got a 9 lb on my engine, even if it's just a B18C1, it's great, the engine revs like a motorcycle and that's what the flywheel is there for. No difference in torque. If you care about torque more than hi end horsepower get another car
Old 09-17-2002, 06:55 PM   #20
'00EX5-turbo

hey u got it man, cuz i m getting another car soon.