Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2006, 04:52 AM   #1
CD5Passion

oh Crikey

steve irwin killed by a stingray barb to the chest at age 44

Quote:
Adjust font size:

SYDNEY, Australia (CNN) -- Steve Irwin, the Australian TV presenter known as the "Crocodile Hunter," has died after being stung in a marine accident off Australia's north coast.

Australian media reports say Irwin was diving in waters off Port Douglas, north of Cairns, when the incident happened on Monday morning.

Irwin, 44 was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest, according to Cairns police sources. Irwin was filming an underwater documentary at the time.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality Monday morning off Port Douglas, according to Australian media.

Queensland Police Services also confirmed Irwin's death and said his family had been notified. Irwin was director of the Australian Zoo in Queensland.

He is survived by his American-born wife Terri and their two children, Bindi Sue, born 1998, and Robert (Bob), born December 2003.

Irwin became a popular figure on Australian and international television through Irwin's close handling of wildlife, most notably the capture and relocation of crocodiles.

Irwin's enthusiastic approach to nature conservation and the environment won him a global following. He was known for his exuberance and use of the catch phrase "Crikey!"

But his image suffered a setback in January 2004 when he held his then 1-month-old baby Bob while feeding a crocodile at his Australian zoo. (Full story)

In a statement released to Australian media, Foreign Minister Alexander Downer expressed his sorrow and said that he was fond of Irwin and was very appreciative of all the work he had done in promoting Australia overseas.

In 2003, Irwin spoke to the Australian Broadcasting Corp.'s Australian Story television program about how he was perceived in his home country.

"When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior Australian bloke," he said, the ABC reported.

"And yet back here in my own country, some people find me a little bit embarrassing. "You know, there's this... they kind of cringe, you know, 'cause I'm coming out with 'Crikey' and 'Look at this beauty.'"
Old 09-04-2006, 06:04 AM   #2
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

no way... well he went out doing his thing

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:49 AM   #3
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I read about that. I mean really...did anyone NOT see this coming? It's a shame the guy's dead, but in life he took ridiculously idiotic risks. If you're willing to dangle your infant in front of an extremely large reptile for kicks, chances are you'll probably die relatively young.

On a side note, it's too bad that the number of Aussies it's easy to make fun of is shrinking. Now all we've really got is Heath Ledger, Keith Urban, and Mel Gibson.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
Robert
R-Tard

I think his family is the one who will be dealing with this the hardest. THats the problem with leading a life full of risk like that.

I hope his work will lead to some improvements in wildlife and the preservation of their envoirnment.

It's always sad when someone dies. Some more then others.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:55 PM   #5
CD5Passion

honestly its crazy he lived as long as he did, which is what made him so famous....that and he helped protect creatures people saw as huge dangerous animals. He was a great enviromentalist and all though he was fun to make fun of he was doing a lot of good for the animal world.
i feel bad for his family and my prayers go out to them.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #6
IALuder

at least he died doing something he loved.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:11 PM   #7
HondaImpaler

A lot of people have the attitude that he had it coming. I don't see it. I'm sure everyone that watched what he did learned more than a few things about the animal world and how everything is not as it seems. RIP meng.
The vermin you need to loathe
HondaImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote