::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Prelude
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2002, 09:45 PM   #1
rfields84

'84 Prelude

My neighboor is selling an '84 Prelude. Great Condition but 229,000 miles. Maintained very well, so I was wondering how long these motors typically go? Its got the 1.8 Dual Carb I4. It does have the original clutch at 229k and the original clutch is good so I'm thinking its mostly highway milage. Any input would be great, like problem areas e.c.t. Engine compartment looks pretty tight, so it looks like if I am going to do a clutch I might as well pull the motor and re-build it. Also, this is my first import i've owned 3 domestic cars and not been too happy with them.

Thanks,

Ryan Fields
rfields84@earthlink.net
Old 02-23-2002, 11:13 PM   #2
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

well, i dont know alot about the 84's but the preludes were always good for their time, what engine does it have in it? if you found that out, we would be able to know a little but more about what your buying, or even if you knew how many miles were on it. 84 is old, check for body rust, frame rust and anything along those lines. glad you desided on a prelude, if thats what you end up getting. secondly are you planning on doing performance upgrades, if so you might want to check the support for that engine, and also if you could perhaps swap a different engine in. 229k miles is alot no matter what way you look at it. i know of quite a few honda (5-7) engines making it to 400-500k without any major repairs.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 12:19 AM   #3
Maxvla

not to be too negative... but if you are planning on performance mods forget that old engine. even if it only had 100 miles on it you won't be able to find anything to fit it.
i have no idea what engine will fit in there cause im not familiar with the older ludes but a 1.6 or 1.8 theoretically should if you want to do a swap.
my sister has an 82 accord with 200+k no major repairs. check with your local dealership cause my sister gets 20% off any repairs or services at our dealership cause its over 200k (might just be our dealer though)

>>Later>>
Old 02-24-2002, 11:11 AM   #4
rfields84

daily driver

i'm not looking to do any performance mods on it, I was hoping that I could squeeze 40-50k more out of it. It says Dual Carb and the manual says its a 1.8 liter. One concern is that it has the original clutch so I would think its mainly highway milage. Its been driven by 1 lady owner. The engine compartment looks very tight, you know if the clutch replacement would involve more than pulling the tranny and halfshafts? Now, the engine now doesn't burn any oil and its been changed every 3,000. So i'm thinking if it does good on a compression test I could get a lot of use out of it before rebuilding the motor.
Old 02-24-2002, 08:00 PM   #5
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

well, unless you beat a clutch to hell, a stock clutch should last quite some time, and if a lady drive it i doubt 4k rpm drops were part of her daly driving.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 06:01 PM   #6
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Can we say.....winterbeater?

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 01:46 AM   #7
Maxvla

"IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT" truth to live your life by.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:42 PM   #8
Jacques

I'd love to own another Prelude as a 2nd car. I'd say, go for it.

As for what you wanna do with it, I wouldn't plan on making it go faster. I'd maybe consider making it handle better for autocrossing, if you are interested in doing that.