::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
solanog

civic 96-2000 vs Civic 2001-

Has the newer Civic any advantage over the earlier one? Is it more fuel efficient or much more powerful? How about suspension, I've read somewhere that 96-2000 has a better suspension, is this true? Aesthetically I like the older one better.
solanog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
JDMFantasy2k

Ok here's my take. The 99-00 civic Si (chassis code EM1) is my pick for the best civic honda has built; to this day. Yes it may now have a lot of bells and whistles compared to the new 06 civic Si (chassis code FG), but it doesnt need them. It came with a b16 that had 160 horse, excellent suspension, and was an all around great car. Now when comparing 96-00 (commonly reffered to EK civics, but only hatches have EK in their vin, and coupes have EJ in their vin, but it's all basically the same), you need to realize that there are some differences between 96-98, and 99-00. It's like a mini generation. In 96-98 the headlights are rounded on the corners, the grill is small, and front bumper is shaped differently and more square. I believe the rear follows the same boxy body lines as well. The hood and the fenders are also different. Lastly, 96 was the year all car manufactures had to switch to OBD2, so civics that are 96-98 are equipped with OBD2a.

99-00 is the best. It's more rounded with more aggressive body lines. The grill is bigger, the headlights are cut straight on the sides, and overall the car appears more aggressive compared to the previous 2 years. These cars also come with OBD2B, it is called that because honda decided to make some provisions which included changing the ECU and the wiring to it. Nothing major, but powertrain and chassis wise, all cars of the same trim level, haven't changed much through 96-00.

So what about the 2001+ (The chassis code is EM, but usually somehting like EM2 or EP3 for the 2001+ civic Si. Why honda called the 99-00 Si an EM when it shares the same chassis as an EJ, i don't know) you may be asking? Well obviously some big changes were had. This generation also has a half point where some changes would be made, which is in 2004. So in 2001 honda re did the whole exterior, and interior, but kep the basic lines. Everything from both generations, is in the same place basically and shares the same idea, just a little different. I'm not sure of the power plant changes, but i do know some extensive changes were made. In 2004, the exterior was changed again for the tear drop headlights and probably some other things which i coudl care less about. Lastly is the suspension. 92-00 civics utilize a double wishbone suspension up front. It's strong points are that it's relatively simple, durable, and provides excellent road feel, yes there is more unsprung weight because of the components, but most will agree that the stock suspension is pretty stout for what it is. 2001+ switched to a true macphearson strut setup. This is where the struts hold the weight of the car. They connect to the actual knuckle, and some don't think they handle as well. Most drivers probably aren't skilled enough to realize, so it's all a matter of preference. In fact, the 92-00 civics actually have machperson strut setups, but it's in conjunction with the double wishbones. The strut connects the front lower control arm to the car. So although it does support the weight of the vehicle, it has other things to steady it and support it. It's all a matter of preference really. But it is undisputed that the 88-00 civics definately have more aftermarket support thatn 2001+ civics. Hope this helped.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
solanog

Great data, thanks a lot. I have a 99, I didn't know the front was so different from the older ones, fenders, headlights, bumper, hood, grille, I will look at that next time I see a 96-98!
I feel mine (LX) very underpowered, I don't know if it needs to be driven at 5000 to feel a little power, but mileage will drop I think, by the way I'm getting less than 27mpg.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
JDMFantasy2k

yeah LX's suck cause they don't have vtec. That is where the "mini-me" came from. People were throwing y8 and z6 heads on non-vtec sohc blocks and making a mini-me (single cam version of an LS/Vtec). Or you can just grow a pair and turbo it like 75% of SOHC owners
Old 10-23-2006, 05:48 PM   #5
solanog

Would a Vtec head be a drop in? What mods would be necesary for this? I think here there are available used engines to look for heads. Y8 and Z6, are those newer or older engines than the d16y7? Which cars had them?
Old 10-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
JDMFantasy2k

well on usdm cars, the d16y8 came on 96-00 ex civics and the d16z6 came on 92-95 ex and si civics. The y7 i think came on lx's here too. I'm not sure if the mini me bolts up. I know it's not too involved, but other than that i really don't know much about it.