Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
ncspack7civic
Parked

95 civic rear drum swap

Hey i've seen a lot of folks doing a rear drum swap to a rotor set up. I was wanting to do this myself to my car since it would stop even better now that i got a turbod motor ! Anyway has anyone done this swap before in here? Was it difficult? Also my car doesnt have the ABS feature so what parts do i need to get the swap done the first time. Thanks.
ncspack7civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Just having more power doesnt mean you need more brakes...the car still weighs the same

Rear disc swaps are super easy. You can swap entire trailing arms from any 91-01 civic/integra/del sol that had discs or you can just swap the rear hubs from those cars, in place of your drums (swapping hubs is actually more work)
Then you need rear disc brake hoses and parking cables from a car that BEST fits your chassis (in your case this will be a civic coupe ex-abs ~~ you can use integra cables, but theyre not a perfect fit)
You will also want a proportioning valve from a civic that had rear disc (it flows even distribution of fluid). Some say you need to swap it, some dont...Im of the type that says you do. Depending on which prop you get, you may have to bend some hardlines (get a tool for this, if you need to bend!) The best one would probably be from a del sol si, since it had rear disc, but no abs...i believe it would be exactly the same fit, but 40/40

The swap took me a weekend to do, because it was really cold (stupid me cant wait for spring/summer most the time) and there was a lot of rust to deal with (Michigan sucks, what can I say?)
Overall, Id say its less than a 3/10, because youre only removing one thing and replacing it with the exact same part (pretty much anyway).

ABS doesnt really work the way youre thinking, so it is not necessary to have it when doing the swap. Basically, on the hub there will be teeth for the attached abs sensor. Since you wont be using it, just remove the sensor and forget about it.

We used to have pictures on this in the Step-By-Step section, but that user isnt active anymore and the pics died. But its so straight forward, you really dont need a how-to IMO.

To recap, you need:
Rear disc trailing arms OR just rear disc hubs
Disc parking brakes
Disc brake hoses
40/40 Prop valve from civic/integra

When youre finished, the very first thing you need to do, is get an alignment.

(edit***I just wanted to say, I like seeing new members )
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
ncspack7civic
Parked

Hey man your the dictionary on this stuff. Thanks for all the advice. I like this site so i think im going to stick around for awhile.
ncspack7civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote