.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2002, 01:11 PM   #1
untainted

idling trouble

ok well first off i own a 1997 honda civic hx , ive done quite a bit of mods too it and found some trouble. My car ran really good for about a month or 2 with all the mods i have done to it

aem cold air intake
dc sports 2 piece header
tanabe catback
msd sci ignition blaster ss coil nology wires
apexi vtec controller

so the other day i raced some jerk in a civic that thought his car was fast on the highway i get off the highway goto my friends house after all this and my exhaust was like poping, it sounds as if at an idle its missing a cylinder my friends an a few mechanics i talked to said that the ignition was the problem to prove them wrong i took the ignition totally back to stock along with putting the catylitic converter and stock exhaust manifold back on. the controller reads normal i havent touched it since the car was dynoed. i also checked if the timing belt jumped or anything nothing. i was wondering if there was ne mechanics out there to help me out ?

new plugs , rotor, cap , fuel filter
Old 06-30-2002, 12:25 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i think it might be one of your wires that is messed up. have those checked. i had the same problem with my 91 subaru

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 09:55 PM   #3
untainted

unfortunantly not i tried putting stock wires on too nothin... i also other day bought one of the 2 o2 sensors that read when my check engine light was on .. it could possibly be the other but i had like 4 mechanics an they are all stumped ..?? sux
Old 07-03-2002, 12:58 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

how are your plugs ? did you regap them afterwards ? chances are that the piston might have hit one and messed it up. check that out. i'm just like the mechanics: stumped

Old 07-03-2002, 05:03 PM   #5
Hyjnx da Civic

i got a problems along this line, i think that my car idel's unusually low (less then 1000 rmps) and it worries me sometimes, and whenever i close my sunroof or open my windows, it drops even more...any ideas of how to fix this ? or wahts happenin ?
Old 07-03-2002, 10:55 PM   #6
untainted

well unfortunantly ... i did plugs , made sure factory gapping was ok , cap , and rotor all but nothing also did a fuel filter thinking not enough gas fuel pressure is fine.. i checked to see if the timing belt was loose or skipped a notch nothing.. so i think im going to take the head off n check for burntup or bent valves i have nothing else to think?!?! ne other ideas?!?!
Old 07-04-2002, 08:50 PM   #7
90civiclxryder

i had a similar problem, it turned out that one of my sparks plugs electrode was gone, and once i replaced the plug it ran good again
Old 07-04-2002, 10:16 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by Hyjnx da Civic
i got a problems along this line, i think that my car idel's unusually low (less then 1000 rmps) and it worries me sometimes, and whenever i close my sunroof or open my windows, it drops even more...any ideas of how to fix this ? or wahts happenin ?

the idle should be 700-750 rmps. anything mroe than that will kill the torque converter.

Old 07-05-2002, 09:23 AM   #9
untainted

no those are brand new plugs and my check engine light was on for a while.. then last night it shut off.... my car is standard by the way ... an now since last night it runs fine?? what a crock ??? maybe i beat on my cars too much .. but i think im really going to try and buy that other sensor if it happens again but now it idles higher than usual 800-835 around there and the a/c isnt on reg idle for my car usta be 725- 754 <~vtec controller im gettin these idles from iunno
Old 07-08-2002, 09:37 AM   #10
untainted

well im not totally giving up but now my check engine light likes to come on and off and bother me now.. it usually just stays on but it shuts off an still runs funny and since i dont have much money those stupid car tax's came in i heard autozone does a free dianostic even thou i already had 1 but the dealer tries to steal money iunno ...
Old 07-08-2002, 09:40 AM   #11
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

did u get any errors for TPS ? i know i had to have that one changed when my light came on

Old 07-08-2002, 09:43 AM   #12
untainted

how much was the tps( throttle position sensor?) i dont know the dealer didnt tell me i dont even think they hooked it up they just told me there was too many after market parts to look at it .. when i go back ill let u know but how much was the tps sensor?
Old 07-08-2002, 10:21 AM   #13
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i can't remeber how much the tps sensor was but i know i paid like 600 for the repair( 4 sensors, the shifter cable, new thermostat, clean the tb and some tranny fixes)

Old 07-08-2002, 09:05 PM   #14
untainted

ouch well i guess tommorrow im bringing my car to autozone when the guy is there that does free diagnostic ... im going the cheapest way ... for right now im saving for an h22a and possibly do stuff to motor before i put it in .. project civic will soon me civlude im hoping within the next year but i need to fix my wheels right now so i can drive without something else breaking
Old 07-09-2002, 12:21 AM   #15
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yeah that's what i'm trying to do too. in the spring it will be the body of an accord the soul of a prelude, and by the fall turbo

Old 07-09-2002, 09:21 AM   #16
untainted

body civic lightness engine a meany h22a .. they make turbo kits ya know there is a national backorder on turbonetics turbos alotta companys buy theres from them too ... luckily i dont have the doh to be buying the engine yet lol
Old 07-09-2002, 05:32 PM   #17
untainted

at autozone it ran two codes 107 and 1259 any ideas what these mean guys hola back
Old 07-09-2002, 10:21 PM   #18
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

umm i couldn't find any info on obdII ecu's. sorry

Old 07-10-2002, 09:35 AM   #19
untainted

ahh alright for all yer obdII codes i found a page here i put link it says vtec malfunction for the 1259 and 107 is map sensor which ima buy today .. the vtec part is bolonge cause i got the controller
http://www.batauto.com/honda.html
Old 07-10-2002, 08:07 PM   #20
untainted

allright now i know what it is and im buying one soon when the friggin place is opened but i was reading about the bypassing of a map sensor ne one know what is done with the wires after the fact ?