::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2001, 04:45 PM   #1
maxpsi

dream engine mods

Say u had $1600 to spend on the engine alone. NONE more than that amount. (no turbo, supercharger, or nos) what would u get to slam this engine??? i ask this cause this is my situation and i need some advice. These are my current mods after having this car only 2 months: halogen headlight, halogen fog lights, 17" wheels and tires, 1.5" lowering springs, Ractive muffler, and double deck alluminum spoiler.
Old 12-15-2001, 05:14 PM   #2
slowEJ6

$1600 on a 01 LX.........hmmmm buy yourself a playstation 2 and some games

i guess intake, header, exhaust would be the obvious thing to get.....you said you just have a muffler, go all cat back......oh and a fuel pressure regulator is OK!
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 06:06 PM   #3
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by hybrid3do0rcx
Definitely!
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 10:15 PM   #4
maxpsi

Quote:

i guess intake, header, exhaust would be the obvious thing to get.....you said you just have a muffler, go all cat back......oh and a fuel pressure regulator is OK!

no im sorry it was bought used. It is a 2000 civic EX manual tranny. And as for the ppl that seem to keep winning the lottery, keep buying those turbos. But as for me with half that amount i would like to keep my car for a long time (why not it has a long warranty). This is what i had in mind: CAI, throttle body, intake manifold, headers, cat, 2.25" piping custom to my Ractive muffler, injectors(cc?), fuel pump, gauge, regulator, msd ignition, blaster coil, plugs and wires.
Old 12-16-2001, 01:44 AM   #5
bret

if it was a 01 LX, definately a PS2 and some games.

since its a 00 EX, sell that engine and buy a LS engine for cheap
Old 12-16-2001, 03:54 AM   #6
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by bret
if it was a 01 LX, definately a PS2 and some games.

since its a 00 EX, sell that engine and buy a LS engine for cheap
notice how he said he wants to enjoy his warranty.
Old 12-16-2001, 10:10 AM   #7
bret

Quote:
notice how he said he wants to enjoy his warranty.

im sure adding aftermarket parts to your stock engine will void your warranty just as bad as swapping in a whole new engine.
Old 12-16-2001, 12:23 PM   #8
maxpsi

u might have a point about it voiding my warranty, but unless all hell breaks lose with my engine i dont want to take it to the dealership. Plus i am keeping my parts just in case

1) hey how much is an LS engine in case i do later later on want to do a swap?

2) and wouldnt a GSR swap be better?

3) and back to the original question, parts, SOHC, 2000 EX, manual?:P
Old 12-16-2001, 12:25 PM   #9
slowEJ6

no aftermarket parts dont void the warranty except for the part you have they just wont work on under warranty. a engine swap would void and and all engine and drivetrain warranty.........thatd be some loss to someone who likes that.
Old 12-16-2001, 12:28 PM   #10
maxpsi

Quote:
no aftermarket parts dont void the warranty except for the part you have they just wont work on under warranty. a engine swap would void and and all engine and drivetrain warranty.........thatd be some loss to someone who likes that.

HEY THANKS for the info really. could u give me more detail on how and why they dont void the warranty. If u want to see the parts i am thinkin of doing just scroll up i listed them on like one of my replies where i had to clearify that i had a 00 EX. your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-16-2001, 12:54 PM   #11
slowEJ6

LS engine can run between $1300 - $2300 for one in great condition
GSR can be better.......depends what route you plan on going with the motor.

go with cat-back exhaust, aem intake or just a simple K&N drop in filter (since the Honda engineered intake is so damn great), a short shifter, and DC header...........however another wonderful idea would be........
K&N drop in, cat back exhaust, DC or Kamikaze header and a ZEX kit oh and maybe a ZEX camshaft to toss in there along with a Venom adj cam gear. bada boom bada bing
Old 12-16-2001, 05:46 PM   #12
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

I think a swap is kinda outta the question right now, because I figure if your going to do it, do it properly. Be careful tho because if you put a CAI on your car and if you live in somewhere where it gets really cold, believe me when I say your car takes a while to warm up.

But other wise I jumped into this one late and well I think hybrid3do0rcx pretty much summed it up.

BTW doesn't every shot of NOS add something like 10,000 KM (notice the KM) to your engine?

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 06:49 AM   #13
!_wide_teg

why not turbo the motor??...1600 is plenty for a used greddy kit with intercooler and bov.you might only be able to boost no more tehn 5psi on stock motor(i think..not sure )but that is enough to get you going over any i/h/e civic ex..??im not sure if itw ould void warranty or not and dont know much about the warranty thing but i have seen plenty of greddy kits complete for a good price...i actually picked up a complete greddy kit with intercooler.bov..turbo timer..boost gauge..air fuel gauge..and an act clutch for 1450 shipped...all items were used but was still in great condition and did make a drastic change in power in my civic hatch..you might not find a deal like that often but it does come around if you jsut give it a little time..i think the sohc motor has much potential and a swap is not needed unless you are looking for 10s and 11s..just my opinion..also ive spent about 2500 on my sohc vtec motor..turbo and a few lil parts and i have beaten numerous gsr with i/h/e..a few civic hb with gsr and ls swaps...oh yea sups all im new on in here
Old 12-19-2001, 07:02 AM   #14
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

There is a group buy going on right now for the Greddy Turbo kit you can get it for 1435 + shipping, which will bring you to right about $1500, if warrenty is what your worried about... Buy the kit, keep it in your room until your warrenty is over then put the turbo kit on. Mean while buy your gauges and fuel stuff and whatever you want then when you put the turbo on, youll have some crazy power... And you havent just wasted your money!!!

Group Buy Center
Old 12-19-2001, 09:13 AM   #15
maxpsi

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! its funny u say that. You see i bought the civic EX from a honda dealership used. For some odd reason they gave me this 100,000 bumper to bumper warranty. they said they put those on there used cars and i was AMAZED. I didnt ask why they put a warranty so small on there new ones but o well. Actually your advice is good and later down the road i might want to do some extreme stuff like that but for now i really want to b different. I want to see how fast i can get my SOHC going and maybe in the process raise a few eyebrows.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:18 AM   #16
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by maxpsi
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! its funny u say that. You see i bought the civic EX from a honda dealership used. For some odd reason they gave me this 100,000 bumper to bumper warranty. they said they put those on there used cars and i was AMAZED. I didnt ask why they put a warranty so small on there new ones but o well. Actually your advice is good and later down the road i might want to do some extreme stuff like that but for now i really want to b different. I want to see how fast i can get my SOHC going and maybe in the process raise a few eyebrows.

Dang man... 100000 bumper to bumper...!!!

I was figuring it was only 36 months/36000 miles... I guess your lucky in that aspect..

Well then.. I guess you have a good plan then.
Old 12-21-2001, 03:07 PM   #17
maxpsi

i wonder if anyone has done what i am thinking of doing. Taking a perfectly good D16Y8 engine (2000 civic ex manual) and just gone all motor just to see what it would b like with no turbo, no supercharger, or nos. Just bolting on parts: TB, CAI, intake mani, header, free flow cat, 2.25" piping, 5 inch aftermarket muffler, injectors, fuel rail, pump, regulater, fuel gauge, msd ignition, msd blaster coil 2, NGK plugs and wires, pulleys, cam, cam gears???? :P
Old 12-21-2001, 05:23 PM   #18
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Re: ..

Quote:
i wonder if anyone has done what i am thinking of doing. Taking a perfectly good D16Y8 engine (2000 civic ex manual) and just gone all motor just to see what it would b like with no turbo, no supercharger, or nos. Just bolting on parts: TB, CAI, intake mani, header, free flow cat, 2.25" piping, 5 inch aftermarket muffler, injectors, fuel rail, pump, regulater, fuel gauge, msd ignition, msd blaster coil 2, NGK plugs and wires, pulleys, cam, cam gears???? :P

Im sure tons of peeps have.. Ive even seen peeps build a D15 up.. Running 12's and 13's..
Old 12-21-2001, 05:42 PM   #19
maxpsi

N/A

Quote:
Live life one quarter mile at a time

a naturally aspirated D15??
more info

from what car is a D15?

r u a moderator on this forum?
Old 12-28-2001, 07:53 PM   #20
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Screw the warranty. Its a Honda. Just take care of it like your supposed to and it will last forever.

Quote:

Just FYI, its 12 months/12,000 miles bumper to bumper and 7 years/100,000 miles on the powertrain.
POWERTRAIN: Covered for 7 years or 100,000 miles from the vehicle's original in-service date
http://www.hondacars.com/models/cert.../warranty.html