::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2002, 07:56 PM   #1
1badcivic

What should I do?

I just bought a 99 civic ex and was wondering what kind of oil to use in it? Do I need regular oil or synthetic? The only mod to the motor so far are AEM cold air intake. I plan on doing alot more thought. Also where on the air pipe would I install the AEM Bypass valve? Does it go where the pipes meet or right behind the throttle body before the pipe? Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:16 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

synthetic oil is best because it doesnt break down as easily as regular. do i use it? no...im cheap...next time its goin in though.

the bypass can go in either location...i think...i use short ram intake. I'd probably put it at the end of the first pipe though to keep it slightly cooler than if you were to put it right next to the throttle body
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 11:18 PM   #3
Almighty-Si

You can use either oil, your choice. Synthetic is better as pdiggitydogg said it doesn't break down as easy.

OH GOD WITH THIS BYPASS STUFF ! Why do people insist on using these things? Do you people like to drive your cars through lakes or something? Normal size puddles, rain and snow will not affect the Cold Air Intake ! The only way you can Hydrolock your motor is if you SUBMERGE the filter in water. That means you would have to drive your car through a puddle of water that is at least 12 inches deep.

The little splash of water, if any, that may get on your filter from driving over a puddle will not damage your car. I have been using Cold Air Intakes for about 8 years now and driven through all kinds of snow and rain and I never, ever, hydrolocked a motor.

If you insist on using your bypass valve cut the intake in half and install it in between the 2 pieces. It should be placed in the middle of the pipe between the filter and the throttle body. If the intake is already a 2 piece then put it in between the 2 pieces.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:30 AM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

well that is kind of a false statement. AEM says something like 15" of water (i think) but I know some people that just drove down the roads and theyve hydrolocked. Civic_Addict's was hydrolocked just awhile ago from driving through a puddle less than 15" (its not my story, I shouldnt tell it...plus I dont remember exactly). My friend in Cali hydrolocked from driving during a rain storm...yes hes slammed but it still happened. And enough more people had to in order for them to make it too.

Its better safe than sorry. Look at it this way, $50 or a few hundred+? Yes you can get them cheaper than AEM and yes they will work the same (there's like no technology to it).

But you can look at it this way too: Here's a high flow pipe...now lets but a big disrupter in it...doesnt seem to make sense...but it does.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 12:38 AM   #5
slowEJ6

royal purple oil is where its at. go ahead, someone ***** about its price. doesnt matter, its still better than just about anything else on the market.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 02:27 AM   #6
1badcivic

So what brand of synthetic oil should I use? Also I don't think I will be buying a new motor because of hydrolock and the fact that I don't have the money so that why I bought a bypass valve. Plus I don't have the greatest luck in the world either. Thanks for the answers though.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:41 AM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

If you want to use the BPV, don't let anyone stop you. Civic_Addict hydrolocked his motor in about 9" of water, and he's only dropped an inch.

According to AEM, the BPV should be placed as close to the TB as possible. That's usually realistically after the first bend, about where the filter would go if it was a short ram setup.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 02:52 AM   #8
1badcivic

That's exactly what I needed to know! Thanks
Old 11-22-2002, 08:40 AM   #9
Almighty-Si

And here is my point

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
If you want to use the BPV, don't let anyone stop you. Civic_Addict hydrolocked his motor in about 9" of water, and he's only dropped an inch.

Why would you drive your car through that much water? It's idiotic ! So now that you have a BPV it's ok to drive through that much water? NO. There are other things that can go wrong to get you stuck in the middle of that puddle in a down pour of rain.

As for me trying to stop him I wasnt, I just gave an opinion on the matter cause as you can see at the end of my post there, I told him where the BPV should be placed if he wanted to use it.

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
well that is kind of a false statement. AEM says something like 15" of water
[/b]

You know now that I really think about it I might have went to far when I said 12 inches of water. Most of us are lowered, plus you have to factor in how much the water will rise now that there is a car in it not to mention that the car acts as a plow when the water comes over the front bumper, so you think it would be better to say 8 inches? How bout if the water goes over the bottom of your bumper? I think thats the best way to judge.