::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2004, 08:25 PM   #1
04mag

what mods to an 04 civic EX

I'm leaving behind a 600+ HP automobile and this is quite a shocker. While I know I'll never get there, I'd like to improve performance WITHOUT making it sound like a go kart. It is important to note that I WILL NOT do anything that will screw up my warranty...

What are my options?

First, airbox. Does the stock airbox actually pull air from under the hood? If so, this is a good place to start...

Intake: AEM or Injen? Are either noticeable improvments? Is water an issue for the "cold air extenders" or whatever they are?

Any value in a throttle body?

I'm not doing catbacks or cat mods. I don't want a big pipe sticking out of the back. What will it sound like with headers and stock exhaust system? Waste of time and money?

Maybe a discrete nitrous setup? What will the stocker take without having to modify the computer setup? 35 shot? Dry? Wet?

What else?

thanks in advance...

04Mag
Old 05-23-2004, 11:43 AM   #2
sohc_vtec 2NR

for someone that is leaving behind a 600+HP car, your questions seems like someone that is just getting into cars...

before anybody can answer your questions, we need to know your goals, 1/4 times, hp, etc; what your budget is; and what is the primary use of this car? auto-x, drag, daily driver...
Old 05-23-2004, 08:37 PM   #3
04mag

Daily driver and keep the warranty intact is my goal. I just want a fun car to drive that gets good gas mileage. The vehicle I'm leaving behind is an 11 second setup which will be missed, but 50 dollar fillups every 5 or 6 days won't. I can tell you what every single mod did for my large displacement v8, including the supercharger. The long tube headers and ported heads were necessary to run the 20lbs of boost I'm running. The motor was built, of course, with forged internals and such.

I guess I should have narrowed down the questions and provided a bit more background.

Ford has become a warranty nazi. They will void your warranty for even an aftermarket air intake.

My questions really center around what is the best bang for the buck that I can get by the honda dealership in the event that I need warranty work. If the answer is none, then I'll leave it stock.

I'm not new to horsepower, but I am new to horsepower with something that has half the cylinders and 1/3 the displacement.

I was just looking for some answers as to what has worked for folks.

I don't want my car to sound like it has a bad exhaust leak running down the freeway. My current vehicle can be heard FAR, FAR away and I'm looking forward to some peace and quiet...
Old 05-23-2004, 08:54 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

thats something that you will need to ask a dealership
most of us here have older cars and couldnt care less about warranties...because we dont have them.

the standard I/H/E that is done on sohc hondas doesnt do anything but make more noise...
To get any power out of it youre going to to either have to do a build or add n2o/turbo...all of which would most definately void a warranty.

For your needs, I recommend keeping it stock, staying away from body kits and dumb ricer crap, and just enjoying having good mpg. Once the warranty is dead, buy a turbo.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 08:59 PM   #5
04mag

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
thats something that you will need to ask a dealership
most of us here have older cars and couldnt care less about warranties...because we dont have them.

the standard I/H/E that is done on sohc hondas doesnt do anything but make more noise...
To get any power out of it youre going to to either have to do a build or add n2o/turbo...all of which would most definately void a warranty.

For your needs, I recommend keeping it stock, staying away from body kits and dumb ricer crap, and just enjoying having good mpg. Once the warranty is dead, buy a turbo.

That seems to be where I'm going. Smart post, and thanks for the no BS answer. I can assure you I have no desire to put "dumb ricer crap" on my vehicle.

I was looking at that max turbo kit and I figured a teardown, build up of the motor, and popping one of those on would get me well over 200HP which would be fun on such a small car. I'll look into that well after I've got some miles under my belt.

thanks again...
Old 05-25-2004, 08:40 AM   #6
esthirteen

yea, you pretty much arent going to be able to do anything to your car to make it go faster that wont void the warranty.