::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2004, 02:08 PM   #1
Honda_Tengoku

nitrous cams

ok now everyone that knows I am swapping in a JDM H22A engine in my 98 Civic CX. Right now it is currently underway. I am thinking about what cams I should install for it. I was initially going to go all motor. Unfortunately like everyone knows there are limitations to going all motor. Like drivability and u can only go so fast all motor. Yes even in an H22A'd Civic hatchback. So instead of going a stage 3 cam and some crazy TWM intakes I have decided I will go a bit conservative for drivability and throttle response. I mean truthfull I prolly will only barely reach high 11's on slicks with a totally built all motor'd H22A with DPR stage 6 port job and everything, and knowing me thats just wont be enough. I am a speed freak. Nothing is ever fast enough for me. I just dont see myself being happy with high 11's forever, not to mention with all the problems that come with it. So I think that I will go with a stage 2 cam (crower or Skunk2), and a Skunk2 intake manifold. So I will be happy with low 12's all motor, and when that isnt enough I wouldnt mid squeezing a 50 shot (or maybe a 100 shot once the internals are built up). So here is my dilema. Does anyone know what cam is more responsive to nitrous.

Crower stage 2
intake.... 297 duration/ .466 lift
exhaust..287 duration/ .465 lift

Skunk2 stage 2
intake......270 duration/ .505 lift
exhaust...275 duration / .465 lift

Obviously I want a cam that will perform well all motor also. Kinda like a best of both worlds type of thing. So does nitrous respond better to a high overlap cam, or a higher lift cam and less overlap? Obviously nitrous injected into the engine uses atmospheric pressure to get it to the cylinders so a turbo cam wont be effective so dont suggest it.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:27 PM   #2
guywithastang

you dont want a lot of overlap when running nitrous. nitrous backfires are a bad thing

You say VTEC, I say V-8
guywithastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 08:24 PM   #3
Honda_Tengoku

nitrous back fires are from improper ignition timing.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:02 AM   #4
AzCivic

i'd say a cam package that has good exhaust duration and lift would be best.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 06:14 AM   #5
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
i'd say a cam package that has good exhaust duration and lift would be best.

thats what I was thinking. But which cam do u think? I was thinking the skunk2 cam was going to be better for nitrous and an all around all motor car.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:32 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

they seem to have a lot of durration for a street car. i'd go with skunk2. they seem a bit more streatable.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 11:17 AM   #7
Honda_Tengoku

remember that the duration u are seeing is the high lobe. That duration doesnt even come into consideration until about 5500 RPM anyways. So obviously the advertised duration of the high lobe doesnt affect drivablility what so ever. Its the low lobe duration that matters (of which I dont have the specs for, but I know they are streetable). I know that both of these cams are very streetable. Thats why I have made my decision down to these two. I just am not sure which is more responsive to nitrous. Thanks for all the inputs guys. Any more would be great if anyone wants to comment.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:27 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yeah, you are right. i always forget about the vtec lobes. can u say my car is without it ? i can find out from skunk2 on monday if you want me to

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 03:32 PM   #9
cashizslick

I dont know if you want a long durration on the intake side since ur spraying juice in there . . .
Old 03-09-2004, 03:31 PM   #10
Honda_Tengoku

thanks for the inputs so far, I appreciate it. Anyone else?
Old 03-09-2004, 07:01 PM   #11
IALuder

im with cash.

im going to get skunk2 for my car. but i will never put nitrious in my car. so for this question i dont know.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote