::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Kill Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2003, 06:12 PM   #1
Civickid0to60

96 AWD Talon TSI vs. new VR6

To all those who read about my first race with the talon, yes i do move fast, i got 10,000 bucks and went straight to ebay next day got my car. :-D. Anyway, it's a coincidence that someone else raced a jetta in the kill forum but, heres the story anyway.

I was going up to PA for the day to check out some new 660 cc injectors. Well, as I was going up the highway what do I see but a SI blue VR6 which happens to be owned by one of my best friends, luke. He pulled up next to me at the light and said his favorite line, "Jordan is hilllllllls!" (hills= hilarious). He just got his flamethrower kit on and was revving it out like a crazy man. So I was like
"hey man thats cool, but do you wanna see if they give you anyboost there grease lighting?" He laughed and said sure. So, the light turned green and I threw up down. I took off on him like a bat out of hell, (just a little note, when i launch in this car.....i really dont feel the need for seatbelts because you become part of the seat.) anyway, I threw it into third and he started to gain on me, VR6's are fast! He came up on my rear bumper, but by 4th i had at least 3 car lengths on him. Nice try lukester! But yea if I were driving anyother car i would not mess with that thing, it was insanely quick, i had no idea! But, another win for the talon.

can you tell i love this thing?
Old 05-21-2003, 08:38 PM   #2
OPAKRACING

Nice kill!
Old 05-21-2003, 08:51 PM   #3
nonovurbizniz

Ya... those are FAST... but awd talons are faster...

my buddies was just about the fastest car I've ever been in..

side note... seatbelts are for keeping you in the seat when you stopping not going... and the faster that thing gets you up there the more your going to need them if you hit something...

WEAR SEATBELTS... I know 2 kids who have moderate to severe brain damage because they thought seatbelts were un-neccisary... one is all but catatonic the other is just slow... REALLY not worth it...

I'll risk it taking a little longer to get pulled from a wreck over being thrown from one mid crash ANYDAY.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:06 PM   #4
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Nice kill..
Old 05-22-2003, 01:00 AM   #5
CD5Passion

so if a talon beat this VR6 and had it close up till 3rd gear or so, remind me how the civic did the same
I'm confuzzled and quite facisious I might add
Oh great kill though, good to hear that your car is keeping you happy
Old 05-22-2003, 03:44 PM   #6
Civickid0to60

the vr6 was all but stock, he has headers, intake, catback exhaust, new plugs and wires, pulleys and cam gears.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:55 PM   #7
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Re: 96 AWD Talon TSI vs. new VR6

Quote:
Originally posted by Civickid0to60
anyway, I threw it into third and he started to gain on me, VR6's are fast! He came up on my rear bumper, but by 4th i had at least 3 car lengths on him.

dude NOTHING beats the topend of a AWD talon.... downlow the vr6 will pull you but up top its AWD all the way!

2640lbs with full tank minus me w/ 302cid
check out the crustang and 88 cherokee @
www.cardomain.com/id/ford50forlife
ford50forlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 11:50 PM   #8
nonovurbizniz

my buddy used to do 60-110 LAUNCHES... it was rediculous the car would go semi sideways for .5 secs... then it'd just FLY.. it was the only time I've been truely scared for my life... it couldn't of taken more than 3-4 secs... and it was around a corner.

I also was in my other buddies gti when a friend of his was taking off on the pack in his vr6... it was WAY quicker than all of them but not like a talon...

also driving the talon is TOTALLY different than other cars... even from a scubby... you can launch them at a roll like they were wind-up toys on steriods... there's just NO traction loss.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:58 AM   #9
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
my buddy used to do 60-110 LAUNCHES... it was rediculous the car would go semi sideways for .5 secs... then it'd just FLY.. it was the only time I've been truely scared for my life... it couldn't of taken more than 3-4 secs... and it was around a corner.

I also was in my other buddies gti when a friend of his was taking off on the pack in his vr6... it was WAY quicker than all of them but not like a talon...

also driving the talon is TOTALLY different than other cars... even from a scubby... you can launch them at a roll like they were wind-up toys on steriods... there's just NO traction loss.

thats cool but how is it possible to launch in between gearshifts like the race in question?

btw i can do that in a mustang to, rev to 6K in 3rd and do a 60 mph rolling start, but THAT IS QUITE POSSIBLE THE STUPIDIEST THING YOU CAN DO TO ACCELLERATE WEAR ON A CARS INTERNALS for the sake of MINIMAL gains IF ANY

before today ive never EVER heard of anyone ever attemping that for any reason.

Old 05-24-2003, 11:20 AM   #10
nonovurbizniz

A. I think by "by fourth" he meant the top of third... ie by the time he had shifted to forth and looked dude was FAR behind him...

B. I may have mis-worded a bit... he did occaisionally rev it up and pop the clutch... but by 60-110 launches I meant more along the line of driving at like 60 in 4th then dropping it to 3rd but rev matching so it was spooled up (a little over-reved.)... and the car would either just hunker down and go REAL fast... or when he did goose it before poping the clutch go a little sideways... no it wasn't smart and I wasn't very appreciattive of it at the time but since I walked out ok it was great... Like I said it was one of very few times I've been genuinely scared in a car. Oh and his reasoning to do it was to scare the piss out of me cuz I had just said you can't scare me... I've realized that's just not a smart thing to say to someone... I wasn't shitting but it makes people push stuff a little too far which can have VERY bad results.

also he wasn't exactly concerned with the internals... I already mentioned he plugged the wastegate tube.... He got it to have something quick stock while he waited for a settlement... then he sold it and bought the mustang...and went NUTS...
Old 05-24-2003, 05:38 PM   #11
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
A. I think by "by fourth" he meant the top of third... ie by the time he had shifted to forth and looked dude was FAR behind him...

B. I may have mis-worded a bit... he did occaisionally rev it up and pop the clutch... but by 60-110 launches I meant more along the line of driving at like 60 in 4th then dropping it to 3rd but rev matching so it was spooled up (a little over-reved.)... and the car would either just hunker down and go REAL fast... or when he did goose it before poping the clutch go a little sideways... no it wasn't smart and I wasn't very appreciattive of it at the time but since I walked out ok it was great... Like I said it was one of very few times I've been genuinely scared in a car. Oh and his reasoning to do it was to scare the piss out of me cuz I had just said you can't scare me... I've realized that's just not a smart thing to say to someone... I wasn't shitting but it makes people push stuff a little too far which can have VERY bad results.

also he wasn't exactly concerned with the internals... I already mentioned he plugged the wastegate tube.... He got it to have something quick stock while he waited for a settlement... then he sold it and bought the mustang...and went NUTS...

oh ok i get you.... lol he shoulda kept the turbo though!

if i could do it all again i say BUH BYE 5.0...

to much down time for maintenance

Old 05-24-2003, 06:01 PM   #12
nonovurbizniz

Ya I know EVERYBODY was like YOUR SELLING IT!?!?!?! he was like hell ya more money to boost the mustang... (his nickname was Lamboost (cuz his last name was lambardi)).

he bought his brand new and is real anal about maintanance... but I don't hang out with him at all since he got the mustang...

the last time I saw him it was 2 weeks old and I saw him working on it at a shop... I'm like... what are you doing... he's like a 300hp nitrous kit!!

Turned out he wasn't he was just messing around but from what I hear the next week he put a HUGE turbo on it and 2 weeks after that put the nitrous kit in... the last I heard that I KNOW was him was that he had to swap out the tranny cuz of shift times on the standard..

then another buddy of mine knows a guy who's always down at E town and always talks about this dude from norwalk with a yellow conv. mustang that's RETARDED... I'm pretty sure it's him I just gotta ask... it's supposedly nasty fast though.. don't think it has THAT much down time but again I don't know..

On a similar note to you (sort of)... another kid I used to work with saved ALL his money from the time he was 13 working for his parents.. till he was 18 and in his senior year in H.S.. He had like 20k saved... bought a car got it built the "right" way.

I don't think it EVER made it down the track... first run (he broke it in on the street and it ran good.) he blew the headgasket. Next time it was something else... he did everything "right" he just had REALLY bad luck.. it was kinda sad.. everybody felt terrible for him.. he ended up selling it I think. But I recently heard he had a 1000 ft/lb 800hp dodge v10 ram... it's apparently turned out A OK.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:41 PM   #13
ford50forlife
4th Gear

i hear you that sounds dope, but i still dont see how a awd talon was able to pull 3 cars on a vr6 that started to pull him.. awd isnt exactly known for its topend

Old 06-11-2003, 07:45 AM   #14
fzr400tony

i raced my old vr6 corrado heads up against an eclipse gsx.

the gsx makes little gains when i would shift gears. the cars were pretty even through the 1/8 mile. he beat me by just over a fender. it was the second best race i was ever in.

just for the record, i also lost the best race i was in (got drafted at vir, tried to draft pass back but too little too late). crossed finish line @ well over 100 and inches between us (that was fzr400 vs fzr400).