::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2003, 02:13 PM   #1
Wren57

amp gurus come inside

OK, heres my dilemna. I am going to buy two Infinity Perfect 10.1d subs within the next week. Since they are DVC, I can wire them to either 2ohm or 8ohm each. They run 350RMS per sub. I need an amp to run these bad boys, any suggestions? I was thinking either a 2-channel to run them seperately @ 2ohms each, or get the 8ohms and wire them in series down to 4ohms and get a mono amp... I thought about wiring them down to 1ohm but that would be too low for my alternator. Any suggestions? I hope I didn't confuse anyone but myself...
Old 08-11-2003, 03:42 PM   #2
Grip72

hey highlander..check out the new body kits for your 350z on wingwest.com ..they are freakin awesome
Grip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 03:49 PM   #3
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

the least expensive route would be to go with a JBL 600.1.. they are stable down to 1ohms and yield the same amount of power they would at 2ohms, 600w rms)..

Your alternator doesnt have much to do in this.. You simply need to see if you are amp is stable at a given impedance. To help your car's electrical system, you should try to go with power efficient subs (read D class).. The JBL I mentionned is of that type.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 04:00 PM   #4
Wren57

would that be clean enough? the perfect subs are some of the best for SQ, and I don't want to lose any of that by buying an inferior amp...
Old 08-12-2003, 11:53 AM   #5
ShagginJet

^ I wouldn't go with a JBL amp. If you're interested in SQ competition then you're going to want to be very aware of amp specs before you buy. If you're not competing but just worried about quality, any of the major names in the market should be fine. I personally like Rockford Fosgate, small package and lots of power.

http://63.249.135.19/hdrive/car/index.htm
ShagginJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 12:27 PM   #6
nonovurbizniz

for some reaso my reply isn't up there...

I'm kinda out of the loop on this stuff nowadays but...

I like ppi... they're sick...

I used to have one and it was the most rediculous amp I've ever heard... it also had TONS of rediculous features...

I know the new ones aren't as good as the one I had (by many considered one of the best amps ever made) (ppi 5075) but they are sick...

the company was started by a bunch of mit guys who wanted to use their degree's to make something better than anyone else could... they chose car amps... I think they rule.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:24 PM   #7
Wren57

i'm thinking about the rockford fosgate 700s... 350x2 @ 2ohms... sounds exactly what I need. I'm not worried about SQ comps, but I do want it to sound as clean as possible, with a reasonable budget (Im not spending 1k on an amp)...
Old 08-12-2003, 04:45 PM   #8
travismitchell

Take a look at the MMATS amps. They have tons of good, clean power and they are pretty efficient. I have one that is modified and is running at .5 ohms. If you are looking at the rockfords go for the 1001bd. The MMATS are a little more expensive but they are well worth it.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:36 PM   #9
Wren57

why would I do 1001bd? I don't need that much power...
Old 08-12-2003, 06:06 PM   #10
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

I could tell you to just go listen to em, but that wouldnt be helping you much..

If you have access to a good set of speakers (home enetertainment/ pc / whatever..), try this..

take any audio material (song!), and insert some square waves in the 50-75 hz zone (depending on the slope your software can do). Now the amount of noise you inject should be proportional to the difference represented by the THD in amp A vs the THD in amp B.

I'm not saying you wont hear the difference, but its very very unlikely. Some people live for SQ and can probably hear more detail than most ..

This thread is a little goofy.. You're probably expecting serious answers, but you havent given us all the details..
-price range
-type of music
-enclosure for subs
-type of listener you are
-what do you expect from this amp..

The 10.1 Kappa is a pretty good sub! I love the 12.1.. But if you are serious about SQ, then this is only mid level stuff.. Its the mainstream SQ sub.. So suggesting an amp made for all out SQ wouldnt really make sense..
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 10:53 PM   #11
Wren57

sorry, now that I think about it I have left off lots of details

-price range is under 300
-type of music mainly new rock (linkin park, 3dd, collective soul) and techno
-enclosure for subs sealed .66ft3 per sub
-type of listener you are what does this mean? um... one who enjoys music
-what do you expect from this amp.. for it to power the subs effeciently and clearly so I can't hear static in the system...
Old 08-13-2003, 12:35 AM   #12
ShagginJet

Static in the system is a shitty install in most cases, the lack of quality audio cables, the lack of proper filters (IE. alternator filter), just poor work.

Actually the 1001db would be a perfect match for these subs. You want the amp to be more powerful. This way you don't have to turn the gain up, and you're not over working the amp itself. If the amp has less power then you're never reaching the full potential of the subs.

Rockford Fosgate 1001db:
Min watt: 500x1@4ohms; 1000x1@2ohms.

Infinity Perfect 10.1d:
RMS: 75-350 Max: 1,400

Max amp power is about 2500-3000, depending on install (wire guage, caps, battery, alternator). Sub can handle 3000 as a whole. Should be great.

Old 08-13-2003, 08:03 AM   #13
Wren57

um... how is that great? the subs can be wired to either 2ohm or 8ohm each... so wire them to 4ohms and get only 500watts to the pair... thats really the only option I have with that amp, unless Im missing something
Old 08-13-2003, 11:07 AM   #14
ShagginJet

Should have thought of wiring before you bought the subs. do you want one amp or two? With one amp I'd aim for 1051s or 851s or 801s. With two amps, I'd get two 501bd's and sync them up.

Old 08-13-2003, 11:28 AM   #15
Wren57

I did think of wiring, just know that the amp you specified wouldn't work. I got the subs I wanted, and can wire them two different ways, and now am making my decision on an amp. I won't be running the subs very loud all the time, so sending 400rms to each one is foolish because I will rarely ask them to push it hard... oh well, im getting the 700s because thats all I really need, and if it sucks I will sell it and get a different one...
Old 08-14-2003, 01:23 PM   #16
ShagginJet

^^ The extra power allows you to run the amp with the gain lower so that you're not distorting the signal going through the amp. It'll be a lot cleaner. You should atleast step upto the 8 series, it's only a little more. And buy it off the net, ebay prices are lower then my cost on most this shait.

Old 09-08-2003, 03:04 PM   #17
Non_Affiliated

Quote:
Originally posted by ShagginJet
^^ The extra power allows you to run the amp with the gain lower so that you're not distorting the signal going through the amp. It'll be a lot cleaner. You should atleast step upto the 8 series, it's only a little more. And buy it off the net, ebay prices are lower then my cost on most this shait.

You also can set the system up for 3:1 Gain overlap to help eliminate distortion. It some times help on harsh component setups.