::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2002, 06:24 PM   #1
Civicfrenzy

Lowering?

The new Motegi MR7s in gunmetal are now on the car.
But it needs lowered badly. So i need some help. What is the difference between springs and coilovers (or is there one?). Also for a 96 civic coupe with 17s how much should i lower it? I do alot of driving. Anything else that i need to know would be great.

Also this guy told me i could do it myself and its not really hard. But i am kinda sceptical about that. How hard is it really?
thnx everyone
Ill post pics of my rims on the car once i find a camera.
Old 06-30-2002, 12:15 PM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

he he he.....i knew that this was gonna happen. remember my respond on your thread:
http://www.hondastyle.com/forums/sho...&threadid=5893

anyway, big differences. there are 3 basic ways to upgrade your suspension and lower your car:

1) drop springs= it is just a shorter (in height) compared to the stock springs. common drop ranges from 1 inch to 1.75 inches. names like neuspeed and eibach are some of the commonly used. average price $150-300 uninstalled.

2) coil over= shorter springs than drop springs but an adjustable sleeve is added to compensate with ride height adjustability. it has an average range of drop from 1-4 inches. the spring sits on the sleeve which is threaded. common names are ground control and weapon R. average price $200-400 uninstalled.

3) fully adjustable coil over= this is the best one. it incorporates the adjustability of the coil over and the damping action and adjustability of struts. in other words, it comes with struts/shocks also. most of these system are well tuned and balanced. brands like sprint, ground control, bilstein, apex, progress group, tanabe, lead the way. average price is from $800-1500 uninstalled

any of these upgrade will require you to undo the struts. no matter what route you do, install it yourself by following the basic guidelines on this site:
http://home.mpinet.net/t-hero/Struts!!.htm

the intructions on this site is to install a new strut. well, do not replace your strut but follow the rest of the procedures.

so what do u want to do? keep us posted......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 12:05 AM   #3
Civicfrenzy

If i lower the car now and later on get a body kit and exhaust (exhaust is comong very soon, alot sooner than the body kit) will it be a factor? I guess what im trying to ask is will it scrape on the ground?
Old 07-01-2002, 12:20 AM   #4
VieT916

It depends on how much you lower your car now and how large the bumpers and sideskirts of your bodykit are. If they're the kind that are huge and are a lot longer than your OEM bumpers, you may run into problems. Chances are that you won't because you'll find that you won't want to lower your car too much on 17's unless you like rubbing your fenders a lot while turning.

As for the exhaust, it usually won't be a problem unless a few things happen, which include getting a N1-style exhaust that's angled up and out (read: A'PEXi N1) and if your muffler is a canister-style that is really big (again, read: A'PEXi N1). Two ways to compensate are going with something that exits normally like the Tanabe RM or going with a smaller type canister muffler like the Fireball. You can also just get an exhaust with an oval muffler like the kind DC Sports and Comptech use.

But I used to run a bodykit on my Civic, which also had an A'PEXi N1, and I actually did run into a BIG problem. My Civic was dumped 2.5" on stockies, which put the N1 exhaust really close to the ground. Add to that that it moved down even more because the tip kept touching the bumper and burning it, so I had to stick in teflon spacers to drop the muffler down a bit more. Long story short, I ran over a metal plate in the road at 40 mph, and my N1 muffler was literally torn from its piping because the back of the muffler got caught on the plate. I never had a problem with my bodykit, though.

So if you dump your car with a bodykit and exhaust, there's a chance your exhaust will get damaged, and/or you'll rub your fenders a lot because you lowered the car too much on 17's. Unless you get a really big bodykit like a VIS Racing Octane one or something, you shouldn't have too many problems with your bumpers, though.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:22 PM   #5
thermal
Banning Machine

how are you gonna lower your car?

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 07-05-2002, 10:01 AM   #6
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

I had Eibahc sportlines on with my MR7s and it rode ok. If you took corners real sharp & fast you might rub. They dropped it 1.7"

Now I have H&R OE Sport Springs. They look perfect and ride great! They only drop it .75". So it depends on how much of drop you want.
Old 07-06-2002, 04:47 PM   #7
Civicfrenzy

Last night i had my car full of passengers and i made a sharp turn out of my neighborhood and i heard this awful sound coming from the back left. I have 17s on my car and i think that maybe the tire was rubbing b/c when i took the turn very slow i had no problem. Am i right or was it soemthing else. I have never had that problem before. Should this discourage me from owering my car?
Thnx
Old 07-06-2002, 06:53 PM   #8
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Civicfrenzy
Last night i had my car full of passengers and i made a sharp turn out of my neighborhood and i heard this awful sound coming from the back left. I have 17s on my car and i think that maybe the tire was rubbing b/c when i took the turn very slow i had no problem. Am i right or was it soemthing else. I have never had that problem before. Should this discourage me from owering my car?
Thnx
First, is your car a sedan? If its not why were you hauling people around? Heck I never take more than one other person in my car.
And yes, it was probably rubbing......
Old 07-07-2002, 12:13 AM   #9
Civicfrenzy

lol no its a coupe, and i dont do it often, we went for chinese and the place was only about 2 min away.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:05 AM   #10
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Civicfrenzy
lol no its a coupe, and i dont do it often, we went for chinese and the place was only about 2 min away.

Coupes were never meant to haul people.....
Just refuse to do it. That's what I do. Now people don't even ask.....
Old 07-07-2002, 02:46 PM   #11
Hyjnx da Civic

Check this, walk around ur car with a ruler, and mesure all the things that you are worried about...thats what i did, im getting 0-4 adjustables, and i went around, like the wheel well to tire is 3 inches, but u gotta remember ur car has to turn so im probably gonna do 2.75 in the front and 3 in the back
that means my exhasut is 3 inchs off the ground, look under ur car for the lowest point, then mesure that, and subtract how much the springs are gonna drop it, and think bout ur daily route of driving anything thats gonna mess with that possibly ? like speed bumps, dips, small animals...stuff like that
Old 07-07-2002, 09:04 PM   #12
thermal
Banning Machine

get a coil over for now to compensate with your needs. call motegi and ask them what the offset of the rims you received. i had some 17's before with 38mm offset. those mofos rubbed like crazy.......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 07-07-2002, 10:21 PM   #13
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by thermalfi'd16
get a coil over for now to compensate with your needs. call motegi and ask them what the offset of the rims you received. i had some 17's before with 38mm offset. those mofos rubbed like crazy.......
Good luck callin' Motegi. No phone # listed and they don't return e-mails.....
Old 07-07-2002, 11:38 PM   #14
Civicfrenzy

on second though maybe ill save the money and not lower it, for now at least. And yes i am now refusing to haul more than 1 person.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:34 PM   #15
ripthesystem

Hey where did you pick up your H&R OE Sport Springs? and how much did you pay... I'm looking to lower my ride about .75" or 1" this fall(fingers crossed) and was wanting something about like this..

thx
ripthesystem
Old 07-08-2002, 09:35 PM   #16
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by ripthesystem
Hey where did you pick up your H&R OE Sport Springs? and how much did you pay... I'm looking to lower my ride about .75" or 1" this fall(fingers crossed) and was wanting something about like this..

thx
ripthesystem
Right HERE

Fast shipment & good prices.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:42 PM   #17
2000civicexcoupe

civic_addict, can you please post some side views of your car and any other pics you might have. I really wanna see more of it. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:42 PM   #18
2000civicexcoupe

civic frenzy, ost some pics. Come on. SOMEBODY POST!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2002, 06:04 PM   #19
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by 2000civicexcoupe
civic_addict, can you please post some side views of your car and any other pics you might have. I really wanna see more of it. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese.
Sorry man. My cpu has been down. if you still want some more pics I'll post em. My car will be dirty in them, but you'll get the idea....
Old 07-16-2002, 07:16 AM   #20
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict

Sorry man. My cpu has been down. if you still want some more pics I'll post em. My car will be dirty in them, but you'll get the idea....

Geez.. you broke your computer too?!
Old 07-16-2002, 07:29 AM   #21
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Geez.. you broke your computer too?!
SILENCE YOU!! I WILL NOT TOLERATE YOUR INSOLENCE!!
Yeah it was after an attempt at dual processors.....
And th other thing was not my fault.....