Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2004, 11:11 PM   #1
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Store Security tags

You guys know those white and black tags that stores put on products, to sound alarms at the door? The sticker ones that are in cd/dvd cases and on the outside of just about everything in the mall.
Wanna know how they work?

Inside the tag there are 2 thin strips of metal. When they move through the towers, at the store front, the strips vibrate together making the alarm go off. At the checkout the strips are depolarized so they dont vibrate (which is why your credit card can be erased there too).

If you press down on the tags, while theyre still activated, you prevent them from vibrating, manually. You can then carry the tag through the towers w/o the alarm going off. You need to press it kinda hard, and in at least 2 places.

This only works on that specific kind of tag, btw. And this is NOT to suggest thievery...just thought Id share.
Amaze your friends
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 11:15 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

lol where did u get that

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 11:21 PM   #3
pdiggitydogg

when I used to work in the mall I learned LOTS of secrets.

Also, did you know that store employees cant legally chase a thief down? That theyre only allowed to ASK for them to come back in? The thief can say "No" and there isnt anything they can do about it.
Mall security cant detain people either. Theyre only there for pretend authority. They can follow someone out of the mall and block their car from leaving though...until the police come that is
Only the police can hold someone against their will.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:28 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

hmm what about citizens' arrest ? i thought that was allowed in the US

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 11:45 PM   #5
pdiggitydogg

hmm good question
I was always told that they cant do that
Old 10-17-2004, 12:10 AM   #6
juvenile

Citizens' Arrest
By David C. Grossack, Constitutional Attorney
Common Law Copyright © 1994
All Rights Reserved

Not long ago the politically correct Boston Globe noticed a "shocking" new trend. It seems as if some citizens of Massachusetts were so fed up with crime that they have begun to intervene in petty street crime afflicting the streets of our cities. Thieves and pickpockets in Massachusetts should exercise caution in where and how they ply their craft as the chances that vigilantes pummel them and drag them to the nearest cop are definitely on an upswing. While the Globe is shocked at this healthy trend, students of the law should note that both a statutory and common law basis for a certain degree of "vigilante behavior" is well founded. Indeed, in an era of lawlessness it is important that readers be advised as to their lawful right to protect their communities, loved ones and themselves by making lawful citizens' arrests. The purpose of this essay is to simply explain the law and the historical context of the citizen's arrest.

First, what is an arrest?

We can thank Black's Law Dictionary for a good definition: "The apprehending or detaining of a person in order to be forthcoming to answer an alleged or suspected crime." See Ex parte Sherwood, (29 Tex. App. 334, 15 S.W. 812).

Historically, in Anglo Saxon law in medieval England citizen's arrests were an important part of community law enforcement. Sheriffs encouraged and relied upon active participation by able bodied persons in the towns and villages of their jurisdiction. From this legacy originated the concept of the posse comitatus which is a part of the United States legal tradition as well as the English. In medieval England, the right of private persons to make arrests was virtually identical to the right of a sheriff and constable to do so. (See Inbau and Thompson, Criminal Procedure, The Foundation Press, Mineola, NY 1974.

A strong argument can be made that the right to make a citizen's arrest is a constitutionally protected right under the Ninth Amendment as its impact includes the individual's natural right to self preservation and the defense of the others. Indeed, the laws of citizens arrest appear to be predicated upon the effectiveness of the Second Amendment. Simply put, without firepower, people are less likely going to be able to make a citizen's arrest. A random sampling of the various states as well as the District of Columbia indicates that a citizen's arrest is valid when a public offense was committed in the presence of the arresting private citizen or when the arresting private citizen has a reasonable belief that the suspect has committed a felony, whether or not in the presence of the arresting citizen.

In the most crime ridden spot in the country, our nation's capitol, District of Columbia Law 23- 582(b) reads as follows:

(b) A private person may arrest another -

(1) who he has probable cause to believe is committing in his presence -

(A) a felony, or

(B) an offense enumerated in section 23-581 (a)(2); or

(2) in aid of a law enforcement officer or special policeman, or other person authorized by law to make an arrest.

(c) Any person making an arrest pursuant to this section shall deliver the person arrested to a law enforcement officer without unreasonable delay. (July 29, 1970, 84 Stat. 630, Pub. L. 91-358, Title II, § 210(a); 1973 Ed., § 23-582; Apr. 30, 1988, D.C. Law 7-104, § 7(e), 35 DCR 147.)

In Tennessee, it has been held that a private citizen has the right to arrest when a felony has been committed and he has reasonable cause to believe that the person arrested committed it. Reasonable grounds will justify the arrest, whether the facts turn out to be sufficient or not. (See Wilson v. State, 79 Tenn. 310 (1833).

Contrast this to Massachusetts law, which while permitting a private person to arrest for a felony, permits those acquitted of the felony charge to sue the arresting person for false arrest or false imprisonment. (See Commonwealth v. Harris, 11 Mass. App. 165 (1981))

Kentucky law holds that a person witnessing a felony must take affirmative steps to prevent it, if possible. (See Gill v. Commonwealth, 235 KY 351 (1930.)

Indeed, Kentucky citizens are permitted to kill fleeing felons while making a citizen's arrest (Kentucky Criminal Code § 37; S 43, §44.)

Utah law permits citizen's arrest, but explicitly prohibits deadly force. (See Chapter 76-2-403.)

Making citizen's arrest maliciously or without reasonable basis in belief could lead to civil or criminal penalties. It would obviously be a violation of a suspect's civil rights to use excessive force, to torture, to hold in unsafe or cruel conditions or to invent a reason to arrest for the ulterior motive of settling a private score.

Civil lawsuits against department stores, police departments, and even cult deprogrammers for false imprisonment are legend. Anybody who makes a citizens arrest should not use more force than is necessary, should not delay in turning the suspect over to the proper authorities, and should never mete out any punishment ... unless willing to face the consequences.

As the ability of the powers that be to hold society together and preserve law and order diminishes, citizen's arrests will undoubtedly be more common as a way to help communities cope with the wrongdoers in out midst.

Texas law for example is:
code of criminal procedure 14.01 A peace officer or any other person, may without a warrant,arrest an offender when the offense is committed in his presence or within his view, if the offense is one classed as a felony or as an offense against the public peace.

offenses against public

42.01 disorderly conduct , 42.02 riot , 42.03 obstructing a highway or other passageway , 42.05 disrupting meeting or procession , 42.08 abuse of a corps , 42.09cruelty to animals 46.08 hoax bomb 49.02 public intoxication , and so on basically any misdemeanor against or offends the public.

42.01 disorderly conduct

A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly
1. uses abusive,indecent,profane,or vulgar language in a public place,and the languageby its very utterance tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace
2.makes an offensive gesture or display in a public place, and the gesture or display tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace.
3. creates by chemical means,a noxious and unreasonable odor in a public place.
4. abuses or threatens a person in a public place in an obviously offensive manner.
5. makes unreasonable noise in a public place other than a sport shooting range,as defined by section250.001,local government code,or in or near a private residence that he has no right to occupy.
6. fights with another in a public place.
7. discharges a firearm in a public place other than a sport shooting range
8. displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm.
9. discharges a firearm on or across a public road.
10. exposes his anus or genitals in a public place and is reckless about whether another may be present who will be offended or alarmed by his act,or
11. for a lewd or unlawful purpose
a.enters on the property of another and looks into a dwelling on the property through any window or other opening in the dwelling.
b. while on the premises of a hotel or comparable establishment,looks into a guest room not the persons own through a window or other opening in the roon,or
c. while on the premis of a public place looks into an area such as a restroom or shower stall or changing or dressing room that is designed to provide privacyto a person using the area.

Think of it like this............... If a Walmart employee caught someone stealing,and confronted them as they were exiting the store,the crime would be theft,for whatever he had stolen. But if he decided to fight the charge would be robbery,and if by chance an elderly person was knocked down in the process,it becomes agravated robbery.

If you have the sand to confront people like this the law is behind you. But remember what I said law enforcement in some parts of north east texas (Dallas in most cases) does not even think a citizen can make an arrest,even if you show them in black and white. Usually they will write a ticket and tell you youre wrong,so be careful.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:31 AM   #7
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Actually I did know that about those stupid...well...we call them "chicklets". That's what I get from 6 1/2 years in retail. Useless knowledge. It's easier just to take a small piece of aluminum foil and cover the tag (both sides) with it as you walk out. It has the same effect. Or if you're like me you know how to deactivate the gate completely in about 5 seconds without any sort of fuss (our gates used to go on the fritz all the time so we'd have to deactivate them until the repair guy showed up). I hated that policy of not going after someone after they left. Bullshit, I say.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 01:13 AM   #8
Duckydos

As far as the whole store security thing goes, WalMart is a bit different.

Loss Prevention(LP) and Salaried Managers can stop shoplifters as long as they the 4 elements: Selection, Concealment, Maintain Eye Contact, and Pass Last Point Of Sale. If you make the stop, and they run, you can chase them to the perimeter of the store's property. If they try to fight, you can fight back. The only time that LP will back off is if the situation because potentially dangerous... ie: a weapon is involved, the customer gets in their car, bystanders in the way. And in the off-chance that manager or LP f*cks up and falsy accuses a customer.... well, they lose their job and WalMart pays out the ass for a false-arrest settlement. General rule of thumb, WalMart will prosecute shoplifters between the age of 14-65 although each case is different.

I have been on some interesting stops. One older gentleman decided that he was going to bite our LP, so the other LP kicked him in the face. Another time I was involved with a stop and the shoplifter's mother and girlfriend came up and started trying to fight us. Three people went to jail that day.

And as far as the security tag goes... if that thing goes off, you cannot be convicted of shoplifting on that alone. Remember, store security has to have the 4 Elements. If the merchandise wasn't paid for, they should simply ask you to come back in the store to pay for it.

Anyway, that's WalMart's policy on shoplifting. Kinda interesting if you ask me. Then again, I am a retail loser.

-Ducky
Old 10-17-2004, 01:27 AM   #9
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I always forget the eye contact thing. That tends to be a problem with catching them...at least in our store. To maintain visual contact you have to follow them around and generally they pick up on that and unless you're leaving the store then you're not shoplifting. I like the WalMart policy a lot better than ours. I got reprimanded for chasing after a shoplifter. I got the stuff back...and then got in trouble. You're welcome...fuckers.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 01:30 AM   #10
CD5Passion

also yo know those white tags that are stuck to some merchandise. if they are in anyway not compeltely flat on the product, they will not set off an alarm. And if you hold another item against it with the same tag it will not go off, I had a strip of these on me when I was tagging products and i left for lunch, later finding out i had the "security" tags on me. figured out that because they were folded over eachother they would not activate. weird huh...but beware at CC we get paid well for stopping a theft ( at least $250 sometimes)and they do prosecute, so I wouldn't suggest it. they are especially cruel if they catch internal theft, one guy a year ago had managed to steal 5grands worth of laptops. he was caught after someone told the managers who it was. They waited until he was working one day, had 2 police officers come in, arrest him while he was on the clock and in uniform in the middle of the sales floor and promptly fired him on the spot. and obviously charged with a felony.

my friend also told me a story how his grandmother is not allowed to enter walmart near us anymore because she grabbed a comb to comb her grandchilds hair for his picture and accidently with out thinking stuck it in her pocket. she was arrested and banned.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:01 AM   #11
IALuder

yea, i have stop 2 people. in one case it was almost off property. i was to go to court possibly lose my job thing. but it all worked out. second time the kid was to fat and couldnt out run me. haha.

oh well i dont follow rules. if i see you stealing better make it owrth your while. my job pays us 100 bucks for every shop lifter we stop.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:23 PM   #12
mavaaoife

dayum

Http://www.myspace.com/tehren84
mavaaoife is offline   Reply With Quote